Rumour Serious Tension between Bell and Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2007
Radelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Glasgow Warriors
I’m not one for rumours, not sure I’ve ever posted on before. Went to a Sunday session this evening and was chatting to a guy who has recently left a role at Fremantle in the corporate services area. He seemed genuinely happy with his time there and has not left with bad blood…

We got chatting about what’s going on there this year and he told me that from his observations there is serious tension between JL and Bell and at times this has played out publicly in front of players and staff. His view is that this is undermining the leadership culture of the club and creating an environment where players are confused about who the boss is.

I obviously have no way of verifying this, but I got a sense of someone that was pretty astute, and who had no real axe to grind. Seemed like he was reporting his experience in a genuine way.

Could this be contributing to our current on field issues?

I’m not one for rumours, not sure I’ve ever posted on before. Went to a Sunday session this evening and was chatting to a guy who has recently left a role at Fremantle in the corporate services area. He seemed genuinely happy with his time there and has not left with bad blood…

We got chatting about what’s going on there this year and he told me that from his observations there is serious tension between JL and Bell and at times this has played out publicly in front of players and staff. His view is that this is undermining the leadership culture of the club and creating an environment where players are confused about who the boss is.

I obviously have no way of verifying this, but I got a sense of someone that was pretty astute, and who had no real axe to grind. Seemed like he was reporting his experience in a genuine way.

Could this be contributing to our current on field issues?
Not a fan of Bell after how he handled Acres and Logue. And I also I'm shallow and love rumours/gossip about the club and players. So I choose to belive it. Wish he moved on to the North job tbh.

While we're at it why not make a whole thread dedicated to rumours.

Bells should go if JLo does & thats prob not far away. But s**t seems to slide off Bell & leaves him smelling like roses.

Garlick is on the way home. Freo is just trying to minimise the damage.

Bell is likely on a wink from Alcock since he didnt take up North job.

Bells should go if JLo does & thats prob not far away. But s**t seems to slide off Bell & leaves him smelling like roses.

Just can't understand how the club can be happy with what Bell has done over the past year and a half. Pure arrogance from him that pushed out two key players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a s**t game plan that fell to pieces once it got figured out
What if JL is just a stand in for show and Bell is actually doing the coaching through him and he's got an ear piece in at all times with Bell telling him what to say word for word but theres a couple seconds delay which is why JL always umms and ahhs his way through press conferences 🤔

The disagreement about the Fyfe injury a few weeks back does lend a bit of credence to this rumour

Must have missed this. What did they disagree on?
It was more of an inconsistency. After Fyfe was pulled from the game an hour before bounce down, JL said he’d be out for 2 weeks in the post match presser. It was the north game.
By Monday he’d changed his tune completely and told Ryan Daniels he could be back before the next weekend.
Said something to Daniels like “he was never really out to be honest of next weekend, I’m not sure where that came from” or words to that effect.

As it turns out he was out, and still is out.
But it smacked of bell telling JL between sat and Monday to change his story for the tv interview.
It was just really weird and I remember noticing it at the time.

It was more of an inconsistency. After Fyfe was pulled from the game an hour before bounce down, JL said he’d be out for 2 weeks in the post match presser. It was the north game.
By Monday he’d changed his tune completely and told Ryan Daniels he could be back before the next weekend.
Said something to Daniels like “he was never really out to be honest of next weekend, I’m not sure where that came from” or words to that effect.

But it smacked of bell telling JL between sat and Monday to change his story for the tv interview.
Just strange all round and no reason for it at all. Keep the story at two weeks and then change it once you've finalised the timeline. Two weeks to five weeks is a lot more reasonable than two weeks --> could be playing this week ---> almost got up but wont be playing x 2 --> still a few weeks away --> might be back next week

Garlick is a good bloke so I hope we keep him. I know someone disagreed with me on this one but Bell has always come across as someone up himself and that's through my brief interactions with him. If the rumour is true, it doesn't excuse JLO's performance but Garlic would need to act soon and move Bell on. Can't be having this at a professional football club. If Garlic doesn't act than all three should go.

Last edited:
Who knows if it's true but there definitely seems to be a bit of disconnect between list and team management. Think acres is probably systematic of that, where Jlo rated him higher.

Bell honestly wants the best for the club and have success.
However his role allows him to be overpowering in too many areas.
He really shouldn’t be involved in match day build up and the game itself.
Love the passion of the guy. But it’s clear it’s having an effect on list management and coaches.

Still no clearer on that front.
Fyfe was a very late out. Now he hasn’t played since round 1? Surely there’s nothing going on with Fyfe and Bell, Jl, and just purely bad luck with injuries..
Neither of any of the three have clarified the issue, nor even state the return date of Fyfe. It’s been a month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back