Toast Ken Hinkley Record Breaking Game - May 25th, 2024 vs. North

Remove this Banner Ad

He would still hold the record for the longest time to get there.

No coach in the history of the game has remained at 1 club long enough to get there.
Also no coach that has coached at multiple clubs, even through sackings, has taken that long to get to a GF.

The longest coaching stint without making a GF is owned by Rodney Eade 352 games from the GF he qualified for in his first season with Sydney to the end of his career. Eade of course was sacked by 3 clubs over that period of 352 games, Syd, WB, GC, and never won a flag. So in theory Hinkley could be 4 seasons away from basically holding every record of failure that a coach could possibly hold, whilst all at one club.
I know.

Unless he makes the Grand Final this year.

He could win the flag this year and would still be clearly the worst 250+ game coach (at one club) in the history of the league. Every other 250+ game coach has at least 2 GFs and at least 1 flag.

His record is truly mind bogglingly mediocre.

He could win the flag this year and would still be clearly the worst 250+ game coach (at one club) in the history of the league. Every other 250+ game coach has at least 2 GFs and at least 1 flag.

This is what the Hinkley lovers miss. Over a century of evidence says clubs literally NEVER keep coaches this long unless they achieve at a high level (minimum benchmark being a premiership and multiple grand finals).

Either we've uncorked a brilliant new but yet to be proven plan that is going to rewrite all the history books or we're simply wrong.

This is what the Hinkley lovers miss. Over a century of evidence says clubs literally NEVER keep coaches this long unless they achieve at a high level (minimum benchmark being a premiership and multiple grand finals).

Either we've uncorked a brilliant new but yet to be proven plan that is going to rewrite all the history books or we're simply wrong.
YA FACKIN CHEESE UNDER THE FORESKIN MOIT

The joke is on them - 1 win from their last 32 games, and the solitary victory cost them Harley Reid.

Which is my point. They’re not ready for new material.

He's hurt or wasted more careers than he's helped.
We could almost have had Robert Shaw or Neil Craig as Port coach, and Robbie Gray would have finished his career as a premiership player........

Has this gotten any media coverage anywhere?
The breaking of a 44-year record which takes him to the outright leadership of a statistic dating back to 1897, while coaching a club that has "we exist to win premierships" emblazoned on its change room walls, and I haven't been able to find a single line about in any mainstream media outlet.

Harvey Weinstein got less protection than our bloke.

So we've outperformed:
1. A club that has won one flag in their history and was just coming off a big peak, making back to back grand finals in 2009 and 2010.
2. A club that's been through a major drug scandal and associated penalties.
3. A club that's never made it to finals at all.

And if Ken stays I'd back in all three of them to get to the big dance before we do.
And number 1 of course is the worst VFL/AFL club in history, winning a spoon in over 21% of seasons since joining the VFL.

We could almost have had Robert Shaw or Neil Craig as Port coach, and Robbie Gray would have finished his career as a premiership player........
I would have backed Shaw and Craig to at least walk away when they realised they'd taken the players as far as they could and for the betterment of their careers, they needed a fresh voice.

But no, not our Kenny.

I would have backed Shaw and Craig to at least walk away when they realised they'd taken the players as far as they could and for the betterment of their careers, they needed a fresh voice.

But no, not our Kenny.
Kenny, for the betterment of Kenny.

The Round 11 match on May 25th, 2024 against the corpse that is North Melbourne is going to be a big one for Port Adelaide.

In particular for head coach Ken Hinkley as he achieves a record never before seen in VFL/AFL history.

That's right, in his his 259th game as coach, he officially overtakes Bill Stephen as the coach with the most games without of Grand Final appearance.

Congratulations to Ken, Koch and all the board.
Spooked by an unknown poster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An "achievement" like this kinda reminds me of Greg Chappell's 7 consecutive ducks - it's unique, but incredibly embarrassing.
Greg had eye issues for about 6 weeks when that all happened and couldn't see the ball properly. Kenny has a lot more issues than just his eyes, over the last decade.

Standing and applauding seems the go these days to recognise stuff.

Is it after 259 seconds or 2.59 into the first quarter??

Standing and applauding seems the go these days to recognise stuff.

Is it after 259 seconds or 2.59 into the first quarter??
This is so good. How great would this have been if it happened. Need to save it for next weekend

The plan is to keep him for 18 seasons because every team should win a premiership in that time frame, right?

Guaranteed reward once every 18 years(soon to be 19 with Tas)

I know. Relax. I'm just balancing up the pile on.

Kenny Average is a very average coach and a terrible person and doesn't understand how bad he is at his job and doesn't have the humility and sacrifice to allow a better person to take over. I get it.

The only thing left for us is constant mocking but I like to readdress the balance once in a blue moon.

Last edited:
Unless he makes the Grand Final this year.

He’s now reaching a level of unprecedented longevity whereby it could happen essentially at random.

After all, if you replaced all 18 head coaches with soap stars from Home & Away and Neighbours, someone would still end up with the title ‘premiership coach’.

If only there was a journo brave enough to raise the record breaking stat in his captains run presser tomorrow.

Watching thin-skinned Kenny angrily walk out of his presser as soon as the question is asked would feed my soul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back