Apr 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco — West Ham
No Reservations

Brief
The biggest issue in Western Australian footy for 2011 is the proposal for a West Coast Eagles and a Fremantle Dockers reserves team to enter the WAFL competition, in the hope of replicating the long-term success of teams with similar advantageous arrangements already (Geelong and Collingwood).

The topic has polarised the footy community here - WAFL diehards are ropeable, whereas Eagles/Dockers supporters only want the best for their team.

Although unlikely to be passed in it's current form (9/9 WAFL presidents are firmly against, a far cry from a majority vote needed), let us say that the proposal has gotten through.

Your task is to now create a new kit/s for West Coast and/or Fremantle reserves teams to use in their matches against WAFL teams. It must be distinct from the senior AFL team's jumper, but once again, interpret this in any way you wish.

Do the Dockers want to respect the strong WAFL traditions of the Fremantle area, or perhaps the Eagles want to use this opportunity to bring out something ochre-esque to differentiate from the senior side and attract a niche crowd for the WAFL's benefit?

Entries
Up to three individual entries per person
Away/Clash designs permitted (remembering Claremont are also blue and gold etc)
One image only please

Deadline
Friday 8th July 11.59pm

Happy Designing.

Good topic Seagle :thumbsu:

I posted this "ochre" jumper on another thread the other day, convenient that this comp came up :D

The clash jumper would be used for away matches against; Claremont, East Freo, Peel, Perth and Swan Districts.

WCEWAFLcollab.png

(Open in new window to get closer view)

An Idea for Freo... Similar to their AFL strip, with the addition of the anchor logo and missing two of the chevrons.

Perhaps the Fremantle players who want to play AFL, will have to... "Earn their stripes" :p

FreoWAFLcollab.png

(open in new window for closer view)

Good topic Seagle :thumbsu:

I posted this "ochre" jumper on another thread the other day, convenient that this comp came up :D

The clash jumper would be used for away matches against; Claremont, East Freo, Peel, Perth and Swan Districts.

WCEWAFLcollab.png

(Open in new window to get closer view)

I'd just change the numbers to gold on the home, as the red is almost unreadable.

Entry #1

Had the idea before Gava used similar for his Freo design and didn't notice it until posting now. But the West coast design features the traditional front design but a straight back as the players in the team need to "Earn their Wings".

WestCoastEaglesWAFL1.png

Entry #2

Fremantle's design features the triple V but with an added curve in them and also features the clubs old green and red.

FremantleWAFL.png

For Fremantle's reserves they have decided to honour the club's history and feature the Green and Red they once wore.Instead of the white chevron i have A green and red chevron representing the sides of the teams old guernsey,while the thick white V represents the Anchor.

wcereserves.png

Here's my WCE experiment. Crossed the wings with the tripanel, while using the preseason Eagle from 97-99.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just clarifying to avoid any confusion, each team design counts as one entry.

You may want to reword the following bolded parts of the instructions then:

"Your task is to now create a new kit/s for West Coast and/or Fremantle reserves teams to use in their matches against WAFL teams."

Back to the Future, or Blast from the Past?

This was the question being asked. The existing nine WAFL clubs allowed the Eagles and Dockers to field teams, but the stipulation was that neither could use the names "West Coast" or "Fremantle". The feeling was that the Dockers already claimed South and East as part of its "history" through its heritage jumpers, and West Coast claimed the WAFL as a whole through its old song ("For years they took the best of us") and its WA State of Origin heritage jumper. (Not to mention, the fact they're called West Coast because there's already a Perth FC.)

(I'm not being specific but I'm assuming you all understand what I'm getting at there - WC and Freo claim to be representative of WAFL clubs, rather than being part of them.)

So, in order to curry favour with WAFL fans and purists, both AFL clubs reached for the history books. Fremantle adopted the name of the long-lost third member of the Freo family: NORTH FREMANTLE. To avoid clashing with Swan Districts, "Norths" used the original tricolour of red, white and blue... presenting a potential clash with West Perth. The Falcons aren't fussed as Norths have offered to wear their white clash strip in all games against WP. (The main reason for the predominantly red jumper was to give contrast from the many dark jumpers in the league.)

West Coast looked a bit closer to Perth and took on the mantle of MIDLAND JUNCTION. The Eagle head gives way to Midland's old hoops but keeps the Eagle wings; the "Yellow Peril" clash jumper has proven extremely popular with West Coast fans misty-eyed for the foundation days of the 1980s.

WCE_Freo_reserves.png

Midland Junction Eagles (or even just Midland Eagles) and North Fremantle Dockers.

Really like the thought you've put into yours Omega, well done.

freoressies.png

This sees a return to the anchor, and red is used to reflect the heritage of the original Fremantle Football Club

You may want to reword the following bolded parts of the instructions then:

"Your task is to now create a new kit/s for West Coast and/or Fremantle reserves teams to use in their matches against WAFL teams."

Well that was just outlining you could choose whichever team to design for, you could do both.

Ambiguous, yes, taking into account KOTW28's rules - the number of entries is a hint as to what I was really asking.

I present to you... The Abomination.

theabomination.png

The story behind this? Fremantle and West Coast were allowed a reserves team, but to make up enough numbers for a functioning club, they were forced to combine to create the West Australian Seabirds. The name Seabirds was chosen as it combines the avain Eagle, and the marine Docker. However, the wings/anchor combination has seen rise to a ...different nickname used by other WAFL supporters. Marred by internal politics between rival administrators and players, and being the most stressful head coaching position outside the AFL, the Seabirds did not last long in the WAFL, going defunct by 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back