Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see you have us taking Mason Shaw now don't now if it just fell that way or not but I am very happy just wondering if Brisbane would go about fixing our defence or would you pick mids with our remaining picks and look at upgrading Clarke and waiting for Tinkler not sure if that's the right name and hoping that Merrett Patfull and Maguire stand up for the next two years waiting for them to develop

hey knightmare loving your work mate,
Interested to know,
at the same stage in their careers who would you rate as a better prospect, Caddy or Wines?
also, do you think that if Stringer tests well, GC are a chance to take him with pick 2?

Cheers in advance, and sorry if you've answer this already.

I favour Wines slightly over Caddy but I do expect my view is against the grain. Wines is just such a good inside decision maker and has really rare composure for an inside player and I see this as the defining edge in the matchup. Both will be excellent inside players for whoever they end up with next season but probably most will prefer Caddy being the more known quantity.

Stringer had he not done his knee would have tested very well. This year I'm not sure his conditioning is really at a level that would allow him to test as elite as he once might have.
Coming into the season I would have said pick Stringer with pick 2 but I just haven't found him to be as explosive as he once was and I think it might be a bit of a reach. I expect he will be more of a mid 1st round selection so I don't think Gold Coast would select him at the end of the day but stranger things have happened and Stringer is a heck of a talent when up and about.

Good to see you have us taking Mason Shaw now don't now if it just fell that way or not but I am very happy just wondering if Brisbane would go about fixing our defence or would you pick mids with our remaining picks and look at upgrading Clarke and waiting for Tinkler not sure if that's the right name and hoping that Merrett Patfull and Maguire stand up for the next two years waiting for them to develop

I'd look for both key forwards and key defenders in Brisbane's situation as well as some midfielders. For Brisbane an ideal outcome would be pick 8 for Tippett then other needs can be addressed later - both mids + key defence.

Brisbane have that whole key defence group with (84) birthdays and while they can probably play on for another 3 years each long term replacements need to start come along and start developing for the long term.

Cain Tickner is still another year away from being eligable so I'd likely look to do something now and look at Tickner next year if he is playing good footy and showing something.

How do you compare the midget ball winning accumulators in Hrovat and Kennedy? differences, strengths one has over the other.

Kennedy is MUCH quicker. Very, very quick fella and will test exceptionally high in the speed and agility and should finish top 5 in both.

Everything else I'd give Hrovat the slight edge. Just does everything so well from winning his own ball, linking up, using it well, inside awareness, tackling, marking ability, finishing around goal. I'd go as far as to say Hrovat has the best all round game in this draft and at this time is the best immediate player - being the best player at all levels he has played up to this point (u18, tac, aps). Kennedy also has a strong all around game and can do much the same things that Hrovat can do, just mostly to a slighly lower level.

With his pace though Kennedy will of the two no doubt be selected first but Hrovat could be a sneaky mid draft selection for a club happy to take a guy based on who he is now and how much substance there is to his game.

I'd look for both key forwards and key defenders in Brisbane's situation as well as some midfielders. For Brisbane an ideal outcome would be pick 8 for Tippett then other needs can be addressed later - both mids + key defence.

Brisbane have that whole key defence group with (84) birthdays and while they can probably play on for another 3 years each long term replacements need to start come along and start developing for the long term.

Cain Tickner is still another year away from being eligable so I'd likely look to do something now and look at Tickner next year if he is playing good footy and showing something.
I think we only need the one Forward can see Lisle really improving over the summer as he'll only be 22 and has a lot of talent. Hoping we don't get Tippett but will live with it if we get him just hope it's not another problem like we had with Fevola with he's injury. Looking at elevating Clarke I think would really work for us and maybe drafting a Tanner Smith if he's avilable and with Tickner coming can see our defence standing up just hoping that gun mid is still avilabel at 23 or 30 perhaps.

Viney 1st or 2nd round pick do you reckon? Personally I hope that Melb has to use pick #3 to get him and leaves us with greater options at 5 and 6. Thoughts?
Also Grundy was considered top 2, is he still?

Viney 1st or 2nd round pick do you reckon? Personally I hope that Melb has to use pick #3 to get him and leaves us with greater options at 5 and 6. Thoughts?
Also Grundy was considered top 2, is he still?

It has been reported that most clubs view Viney as a 6-8 type talent in this draft so Melbourne might just get lucky and get him in the 2nd round.

Toumpas is generally considered the likely pick 2 (Gold Coast are overstocked with quality young ruckmen so instead likely go for a mid first), Grundy would be the likely pick 3 but with Melbourne and Western Bulldogs not in need of a ruckman either it's entirely possible that he could go later than his talent suggests.

It has been reported that most clubs view Viney as a 6-8 type talent in this draft so Melbourne might just get lucky and get him in the 2nd round.

Toumpas is generally considered the likely pick 2 (Gold Coast are overstocked with quality young ruckmen so instead likely go for a mid first), Grundy would be the likely pick 3 but with Melbourne and Western Bulldogs not in need of a ruckman either it's entirely possible that he could go later than his talent suggests.

Yeh the demons will get Viney with their second round unless GC dont see Toumpas as much better than Viney which could well be the case as they are similar types.

For me Melbourne will take Grundy. Hes not only a ruck but a very capable tall forward. Remind me who melbournes rucks are? Jamar is close to finished and Martin is still unproven whilt they missed NN and lost Clark. I also see him as a standout top 2 if not than certainly top 4 in this draft with Whitfield, Toumpas and Stringer.

If melbourne pass on Grundy than i think dogs will aswell. I think Stringer is worth the risk at 4 if Melbourne get Viney locked away with 2nd round and the known that a solid midfielder will be available at 13 whether it be O'Rourke, Macrae, Wines, Kennedy, Mayes, Garlett ect. I think the injury to Menzel really hurts the dogs he would have been locked away for them IMO a real class type who can finish is what the dogs need. Lately they have drafted 3 inside mids in Libba, Wallis, C.Smith who all look the goods so expect outside mids, HBFs from them. I think Macrae will now be at the top of the list with Mayes, O'Rourke. Garlett may also be considered although i see him as a slider i think he is overrated and most of the Garletts drop away after junior footy and recruiters would know that.

If Bullies, Port, Lions, Tigers, Ess, Car or StK offer a first round would the demons have to use pick 13 for Viney?

If Bullies, Port, Lions, Tigers, Ess, Car or StK offer a first round would the demons have to use pick 13 for Viney?

With 13 being a compensation selection no. It would be their 2nd round selection (26). So Melbourne would be real draft day winners if it can work out this way for them.

KM if Adelaide trape Tippett for Brisbane's Pick 8, I think the target will be outside mid as we have plenty of insides (Thompson, Danger, Sloane, Crouch 2013) so would think Wines would be the main target unless Toumpas (a dream) or Mayes slide. Is that a fair enough assessment ?
Lot of ifs and buts of course !

Crouch might even start off a back flank and work into the midfield into later seasons.

Toumpas won't be available but Sam Mayes and Jackson Macrae would be great gets in the scenario Adelaide got pick 8 from Brisbane. Wines is more inside but certainly worth a look and one who if available has to be considered.
Ben Kennedy might be another Adelaide look at - very keen last year and as a forward/rotation midfielder would also be a really nice fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM if Adelaide trape Tippett for Brisbane's Pick 8, I think the target will be outside mid as we have plenty of insides (Thompson, Danger, Sloane, Crouch 2013) so would think Wines would be the main target unless Toumpas (a dream) or Mayes slide. Is that a fair enough assessment ?
Lot of ifs and buts of course !
Pick 8 is over-paying for Tippett hope it doesn't happen and he goes to the Gold Coast

Knights I think you have GWS pick in the wrong place if the teams finish the way they are now and it's a Sydney and Hawks grand final Sydney's pick if they lose would be 21 and GWS' pick would be 20 as GWS's pick follows Adelide first pick

Might be right.

Will review and go the order and where those compensation selections fit once the finals finish.

are you going to start doing a ordered mock draft with picks and clubs yet or waiting until the season is over and just before the actual draft begins?

might also want to drop troy menzel down the list a little bit, all reports are he did an ACL in his non larz knee a couple of days ago playing SA footy

are you going to start doing a ordered mock draft with picks and clubs yet or waiting until the season is over and just before the actual draft begins?

might also want to drop troy menzel down the list a little bit, all reports are he did an ACL in his non larz knee a couple of days ago playing SA footy

It's all there on page 1, post 1. It's all in order with most selections being pick appropriate but it's a continuing updating process. Clubs will add/lose free agents, delist players, there will be trades so the order will still change plenty with the draft combine and player interviews still to come.

I have dropped Menzel down my draft order already. Still a first round selection even with the injury - just such a talent, but no longer the top 10 selection he was touted as pre injury. This might offer a contender a chance to snap up a top 10 quality talent (Menzel) which I'm sure a number of these top 4 or so sides would jump at.

loving the frequent updates KM.
Although i question the addition of 2 similar players that aren't pure midfielders. I feel we are set for flanker/utility types unless they are extremely good with the ball. Which is why someone like Colquoun sounds more appealing than Langdon.
Hoping we get at least 2 midfielders from this draft, Ideally one that can play as a bit of a run/carry player. From your descriptions guys like Hrovat and Pongracic sound good with pick 2, and Barry, Clarke and Heavyside good for pick 3 and later. Like the Darcy fort selection as well, a project ruck should be a massive priority in the ND or RD.

He'll be at the state screening?

Is he going to arrive uninvited or has he received an invite?

As far as I'm aware, to participate in the screening you need an invite, or is there a "chalmers" clause Im unaware of?

At a time there may have been interest, but that time has probably passed, as evidence by the non interest and lack of an invitation to the screenings.

And no, I think there are some chances from outside the 18's, they've been invited to the screenings.

He will be at the state screening , like I said in the initial post. There's no clause, don't be stupid.
Alright mate. :rolleyes:

loving the frequent updates KM.
Although i question the addition of 2 similar players that aren't pure midfielders. I feel we are set for flanker/utility types unless they are extremely good with the ball. Which is why someone like Colquoun sounds more appealing than Langdon.
Hoping we get at least 2 midfielders from this draft, Ideally one that can play as a bit of a run/carry player. From your descriptions guys like Hrovat and Pongracic sound good with pick 2, and Barry, Clarke and Heavyside good for pick 3 and later. Like the Darcy fort selection as well, a project ruck should be a massive priority in the ND or RD.

I don't mind Langdon and Ballard with the ball. Both use it well. They are types where I expect they could either be used through the midfield or off a back flank without any difficulty. Langdon and Ballard are pretty different. Langdon is more uncontested ball, Ballard is more win it myself so I don't really see them as all that similar even if they can both play back/mid.

There will be plenty of options. I'm still going to shuffle my picks a fair bit so come draft time it probably will look different again.

Hrovat/Pongracic could be good 2nd round gets. Lonergan if he slides would also be a very handy inside mid addition.

Barry/Clarke/Heavyside should all be around that 3rd round mark. All go ok.

A project ruckman will probably come more rookie draft but once each club has decided how many selections they will use I'll then put in the appropriate rookie selections. The depth is pretty poor though and options pretty limited with the ruckmen this year.

Hey KM, is the reason you have Shaw going so high because of a lack of depth in key forward options this year? Because from things you've said about him it doesn't sound like he'd be worth a top 10 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back