Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid due to his ferocity at the ball and ability to break a babe but has good goal sense so could play across half forward or deeper . What he then brings goal sense aside is big pressure on teams coming out .

FYI the stats people have had all year well out of date weight is 91kg and that is with reduced skin folds .
I read that first sentence a few times,makes me

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

What can you tell me about Joe Atley?

Monocle took him early (pick 32 iirc) in the BF phantom trial run. No one else has even battered an eye lid at him, or mentioned him inside the top 40.

Screams a bit of Nick O'Kearny who went in the rookie draft last year. Jack of all trades, master of none?
I have him rated at 16 in my power rankings mate. Big fan.

What can you tell me about Joe Atley?

Monocle took him early (pick 32 iirc) in the BF phantom trial run. No one else has even battered an eye lid at him, or mentioned him inside the top 40.

Screams a bit of Nick O'Kearny who went in the rookie draft last year. Jack of all trades, master of none?

Atley goes ok.

32 is not outrageously early.

Has a good inside game - good contested ball winner and good tackler. Good height. Not the athlete his brother is, but he's overall a good midfielder, though he does lack that elite point of difference or x-factor.

17 disposals and 2 goals was a good return from him in his first VFL game v Essendon, but wasn't as good v Collingwood.

In comparison to O'Kearney. Atley is definitely the better and stronger inside player. So they are different players. O'Kearney is more a productive outside player. I'd take Atley of the two. But he isn't a flashy, high x-factor guy, not that guys need to be to be effective.

I rate Atley this year somewhere possible in the 30s but probably in the 40s to give you a feel as to where I would have him if I was to extend my draft board.

Genuine linebreaker. Good skills and hits his targets.

Cedric Cox ....

Not a huge accumulator/ball winner.

Looks well suited to playing half back or wing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked late/rookie.

On Cedric Cox... any idea on his temperament . May be wrong to jump to conclusions but watching his brother on the recruit made me think i want to assess more than just his skills etc.

Last edited:
Km... what info do you have about the WA state screening guys? ...
WA state combine: Keanu Shandley, Bailey Banfield, Darcy Cameron, Jeremy Goddard, Matt Taylor (Claremont), Luke Strnadica (East Fremantle), Tarir Bayok, Stan Wright (East Perth), Noah Hura, Calvin Thorne (Peel Thunder), Jimmy Miller, Chad Pearson, Tyson Pickett (South Fremantle), Liam Ryan (Subiaco), Brad Fullgrabe (Swan Districts), Luke Meadows (West Perth).

Some names obviously this years u18's that just missed the combine ..but Jimmy Miller is a player I have seen Chris mention.. have you seen or mentioned him in your state reviews? Liam Ryan is another mentioned in an dispatches..goal kicker?

Jarred Berry another 3 goals for the Rebels today playing in the forward line. He looks comfortable up there in that role doesn't he? McCluggage continue's his crazy goal scoring ability with 4 goals for the Rebels. Have you ever seen a junior midfielder with the ability to kick goals like McCluggage?

Jaidyn Stephenson kicked another 3 goals backing up his 5 goal effort last week for the Ranges. He'd be my early favourite as a top 3 prospect for next year. Has that freakish x factor ability and considering the work he has done over the past couple years as an underager in the TAC Cup I wouldn't be surprised to see him regularly kick bags of 3-6 goals next year.

Ben Ainsworth has had a good back half of the year in the TAC Cup. 3 goals today for the Gippy Power. Can't see him slipping out of the top 8 what do you think?

Jarred Berry another 3 goals for the Rebels today playing in the forward line. He looks comfortable up there in that role doesn't he? McCluggage continue's his crazy goal scoring ability with 4 goals for the Rebels. Have you ever seen a junior midfielder with the ability to kick goals like McCluggage?

Jaidyn Stephenson kicked another 3 goals backing up his 5 goal effort last week for the Ranges. He'd be my early favourite as a top 3 prospect for next year. Has that freakish x factor ability and considering the work he has done over the past couple years as an underager in the TAC Cup I wouldn't be surprised to see him regularly kick bags of 3-6 goals next year.

Ben Ainsworth has had a good back half of the year in the TAC Cup. 3 goals today for the Gippy Power. Can't see him slipping out of the top 8 what do you think?

Mate I was at the game, Jarrod Berry played midfield all day, and those goals were all running goals from outside 50, he even contested several cente ball ups and won them too, easily B.O.G. McCluggage was his usual silky best, he was the mid that played up forward at times. Hadn't seen the Knights Matthew Signorello before but by jesus he's a player, played midfield with stints up forward, hard at it and exceptionally strong overhead. Best small forward on the ground was Jarmaine Jones by a country mile, booted 5 goals, hard at it tackling machine and did alright when he had a couple of stints in the midfield.

Edit : Get on Cedric Cox to race up the draft boards, exceptional kick, speed, agility, I can see why clubs wanted him at the draft combine now.

Knightmare , tell me more about this kid Matthew Singnorello, went to the game today and he was exceptional either when playing midfield or up forward, hard at it, reasonably quick, great overhead mark and looks to have good skills.

Edit : think you might be reviewing Jarrod Berry's draft position soon, went to the game today and he played midfield all day and absolutely killed it, easily B.O.G.

Last edited:
Mate I was at the game, Jarrod Berry played midfield all day, and those goals were all running goals from outside 50, he even contested several cente ball ups and won them too, easily B.O.G. McCluggage was his usual silky best, he was the mid that played up forward at times. Hadn't seen the Knights Matthew Signorello before but by jesus he's a player, played midfield with stints up forward, hard at it and exceptionally strong overhead. Best small forward on the ground was Jarmaine Jones by a country mile, booted 5 goals, hard at it tackling machine and did alright when he had a couple of stints in the midfield.

Edit : Get on Cedric Cox to race up the draft boards, exceptional kick, speed, agility, I can see why clubs wanted him at the draft combine now.
My bad. I saw the stats and noticed he kicked 3 after kicking 3 as a forward last week and presumed he played the same role today. Great to see him play as a midfielder and kick 3 goals. At the start of the year when he was rated as top 10 quality as a half back flanker there were talks about his ability to move into the midfield and how he would be rated as a top 5 prospect if he could do so successfully. He has had a tough year but he is finding some form at the right time.

KM a bit of a weird question but going back to 2008 how did you rate Luke Shuey. Love the guy but one thing i have noticed is that he isn't a high possession player. I wouldn't rate him elite just yet but it seems like all the best/elite mids these days seem to be averaging close to 30 possessions a game. was this one of his big knocks back then.

On Cedric Cox... any idea on his temperament . May be wrong to jump to conclusions but watching his brother on the recruit made me think i want to assess more than just his skills etc.

Haven't been watching The Recruit, so I don't have any context other than your comments you are making here.

Don't have any insight into his temperament.

Cedric is going well living and playing in Victoria and having made the switch from remote WA. He has my respect for that. A lot of those boys who make that transition go home and can't handle it, but given Cox is still here. I'd without any particular insight into his temperament view that solitary point as a positive.

WA state combine: Keanu Shandley, Bailey Banfield, Darcy Cameron, Jeremy Goddard, Matt Taylor (Claremont), Luke Strnadica (East Fremantle), Tarir Bayok, Stan Wright (East Perth), Noah Hura, Calvin Thorne (Peel Thunder), Jimmy Miller, Chad Pearson, Tyson Pickett (South Fremantle), Liam Ryan (Subiaco), Brad Fullgrabe (Swan Districts), Luke Meadows (West Perth).

Some names obviously this years u18's that just missed the combine ..but Jimmy Miller is a player I have seen Chris mention.. have you seen or mentioned him in your state reviews? Liam Ryan is another mentioned in an dispatches..goal kicker?

Giving me an article idea there Turbocat, providing info about the various players to receive state or national combine invites. I might save going through all those names for another day when I have some more time on my hands. Feel free to press me for more on a small few though if there are a specific few you're interested to hear more about.

Jimmy Miller is a top age key forward who can relieve through the ruck. Has been finding the footy around the ground and going well in the WAFL colts competition. It's relatively a lower level competition than the TAC Cup and with only the one three goal game for the season, he is more someone I'd look at as being appropriate for a state league club to take a chance on more so than an AFL club.

Liam Ryan is an exciting talent and worth a rookie selection for me. Really impressive forward. High leaper who can take some exciting grabs overhead. Has that rare instinctive play to him where he knows where everyone on the field is. Skills excellent and has impressive goalsense. He needs to build up his endurance and continue to improve his pressure game up forward. But overall as an October '96 birthday there is something to work with.

Three goals and a best on ground performance is very impressive from Berry when he is playing alongside McCluggage, Willem Drew and Cedric Cox does damage.

Juniors can hit the scoreboard heavily as McCluggage has, it just hasn't in recent memory been accompanied by the disposal numbers he has achieved which is what makes McCluggage so special.

Jaidyn Stephenson I like for next year but I wouldn't be picking him inside the top three next year personally, based on what I've seen so far. Maybe not even top 10.

Terrific athlete, excellent at ground level etc. He just lacks the strength in the contest. Further to this there are a lot of highly impressive key position players who are genuine key position height and size next year. Stephenson is also a January b-day, so I'm anticipating some others pass him by and push him towards the back end of the first round or thereabouts. Not out of the question he could as with Tom Lamb in his draft year fall into the second round, as a similar type.

Ainsworth should feature inside the top 8 selections this year. Probably top 5 the way he is being spoken about.

Knightmare , tell me more about this kid Matthew Singnorello, went to the game today and he was exceptional either when playing midfield or up forward, hard at it, reasonably quick, great overhead mark and looks to have good skills.

Edit : think you might be reviewing Jarrod Berry's draft position soon, went to the game today and he played midfield all day and absolutely killed it, easily B.O.G.

Signorello has been one of Northern's better players this year. Good ball winner, hitting the scoreboard. He is one of many capable midfielders this year. I've found the difference between his good and bad games to be too high. He also prefers to handball more than kick, seeming to lack some confidence in his footskills. Late/rookie he is a possible.

I'm in agreement with you on Berry. Having a good month and if he continues that through the finals, he'll be on the rise and back onto my draft board. I've been waiting to see him find the footy, and now he is doing that and hitting the scoreboard. So he's looking a lot more draftable than he did through the first half of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an interview with Cedric up on Hutchy's Facebook Page "Off The Bench" and his coaches, comes across as top young bloke looking to better himself through his footy, currently working at the Camperdown bakery. I wouldn't be worrying about his temperament at all. You might also find it of interest Knightmare

https://www.facebook.com/OffTheBenchTV/videos/vb.233901340053901/930612150382813/?type=2&theater

KM a bit of a weird question but going back to 2008 how did you rate Luke Shuey. Love the guy but one thing i have noticed is that he isn't a high possession player. I wouldn't rate him elite just yet but it seems like all the best/elite mids these days seem to be averaging close to 30 possessions a game. was this one of his big knocks back then.

I started following the Under 18s closely in 2009. So I was one year too late to see Shuey's junior career.

My evaluation of Shuey's weaknesses earlier in his AFL career I can reflect on though. Decision making while better now was something I felt really let him down earlier in his career when pressured (better now than it was). Ball winning ok, but he isn't your elite ball winner so he is more a component through a midfield rather than your first or second midfielder (hasn't really changed). Not a contested marking threat up forward, limiting his scope to be impactful up forward somewhat (hasn't changed).

Players don't generally change all that dramatically when they get to AFL level. They tend to become more consistent and often get better at what they're good at. But usually weaknesses of players remain much of a muchness with occasional but few exceptions.

What are you're thoughts on Daniel Charlesworth, from the Suns academy? As a late/rookie pick he's got that height through the midfield that we don't have tons of

I started following the Under 18s closely in 2009. So I was one year too late to see Shuey's junior career.

My evaluation of Shuey's weaknesses earlier in his AFL career I can reflect on though. Decision making while better now was something I felt really let him down earlier in his career when pressured (better now than it was). Ball winning ok, but he isn't your elite ball winner so he is more a component through a midfield rather than your first or second midfielder (hasn't really changed). Not a contested marking threat up forward, limiting his scope to be impactful up forward somewhat (hasn't changed).

Players don't generally change all that dramatically when they get to AFL level. They tend to become more consistent and often get better at what they're good at. But usually weaknesses of players remain much of a muchness with occasional but few exceptions.

Yeah i agree with most except this one. He has been carrying our midfield this season in nearly every game. Priddis may get touches but its been shuey thats either kept us in games or that has kept fighting throughout the year. Last night he kept us in the game early on when GWS threatened to blow the game open and was instrumental in all of our comebacks and when simmo needed someone to stand up and win us the game in that last quarter he did. Im still hesitant to jump the gun and call him elite but he is closing the gap fast

What are you're thoughts on Daniel Charlesworth, from the Suns academy? As a late/rookie pick he's got that height through the midfield that we don't have tons of

Plausible late pick but probably more a rookie pick for me. There are other better performed midfielders with better numbers and better contested games. Would argue worth a rookie pick.

Yeah i agree with most except this one. He has been carrying our midfield this season in nearly every game. Priddis may get touches but its been shuey thats either kept us in games or that has kept fighting throughout the year. Last night he kept us in the game early on when GWS threatened to blow the game open and was instrumental in all of our comebacks and when simmo needed someone to stand up and win us the game in that last quarter he did. Im still hesitant to jump the gun and call him elite but he is closing the gap fast

With Shuey he has after Priddis that next midfielder due to necessity. WCE have an even midfield, but a midfield lacking star power. Naitanui is the guy who runs the show and has the impact through the WCE midfield - not only winning taps but with his followup work and dragging the ball forward with momentum.

Shuey is a very good midfielder. But on a premiership contender I wouldn't want him to be more than my 3rd best midfielder.

That's not to take away from Shuey. He has great power to his game, can win enough of the footy and kick his goals. He is more a sidekick than top option though.

If we're talking elite mids, I'd only be talking Ablett, Danger, Fyfe, Pendles and Selwood. Then you've got the various tiers down from there who are excellent, very good etc. I'm just a hard judge. Particularly of AFL talent.

Is that Kyle Chalmers guy available as a catagory B rookie?

He isn't playing AFL and probably hasn't played for a club any time recently. So I see no reason why he couldn't be a category B rookie for a club if he wanted to be and a club thinks he can make the transition.

Hey KM who is the rolls royce style back pocket/HBF'er in this draft? By Rolls Royce, I mean the one like Kade Kolo, Adam Saad, Elliot Yeo who rack up alot of the ball and use it well..

Some would say Andrew McGrath, though his footskills for me lack consistency. Given this I'll elect Jack Scrimshaw as your Rolls Royce back flanker this year. Kicks as well as just about any this year, terrific height and high level intercepter.

Not KM but watched Kiam Ryan yesterday and nut enough from an older player in a season dominating team .

Frim your list

Strnadica yes he will get drafted, will be late . Think he missed big combine invite by 4 not 5 inviting .

Bayok struggled big time at 19s, barely touched the ball which is no good for a small on ball player. Appeared to be 5 yards off it all the time .

Stan Wright , gets plenty of touches , loves a goal had a run in reserves yesterday . Went well but his size always makes selection that much harder if picked very late .

Hura not for me footy had flatlined last years , only just squeaked into WA 18s, got very limited game time .

Plausible late pick but probably more a rookie pick for me. There are other better performed midfielders with better numbers and better contested games. Would argue worth a rookie pick.

With Shuey he has after Priddis that next midfielder due to necessity. WCE have an even midfield, but a midfield lacking star power. Naitanui is the guy who runs the show and has the impact through the WCE midfield - not only winning taps but with his followup work and dragging the ball forward with momentum.

Shuey is a very good midfielder. But on a premiership contender I wouldn't want him to be more than my 3rd best midfielder.

That's not to take away from Shuey. He has great power to his game, can win enough of the footy and kick his goals. He is more a sidekick than top option though.

If we're talking elite mids, I'd only be talking Ablett, Danger, Fyfe, Pendles and Selwood. Then you've got the various tiers down from there who are excellent, very good etc. I'm just a hard judge. Particularly of AFL talent.

He isn't playing AFL and probably hasn't played for a club any time recently. So I see no reason why he couldn't be a category B rookie for a club if he wanted to be and a club thinks he can make the transition.

Some would say Andrew McGrath, though his footskills for me lack consistency. Given this I'll elect Jack Scrimshaw as your Rolls Royce back flanker this year. Kicks as well as just about any this year, terrific height and high level intercepter.
Hey Knightmare... a lot of carlton supporters think we need more talks but I actually think we need more midfielders think we should go for a classy inside outside mid with our first pick maybe hope venables slips to our second maybe see if we can pick up Jye Bolton?

Hey Knightmare... a lot of carlton supporters think we need more talks but I actually think we need more midfielders think we should go for a classy inside outside mid with our first pick maybe hope venables slips to our second maybe see if we can pick up Jye Bolton?

Jye Bolton should be there as a rookie. Good get there though.

This is a good year to get midfielders, other than a scenario where the best available is a tall - eg. if Marshall is there for Carlton in the first round.

I say midfielders should be a focus for most clubs this year, liking the group of talls set to be available next year. I'd be prepared to take probably five talls inside the top 10 and 6-8 talls inside the first round next year. If the talls keep improving, it should be a good year for talls.

The other element for Carlton is with those talls selected last year, a second year of development is necessary to get some idea as to how they're tracking and get an indication where the clubs list needs are and how many talls and where may they be needed.

Jye Bolton should be there as a rookie. Good get there though.

This is a good year to get midfielders, other than a scenario where the best available is a tall - eg. if Marshall is there for Carlton in the first round.

I say midfielders should be a focus for most clubs this year, liking the group of talls set to be available next year. I'd be prepared to take probably five talls inside the top 10 and 6-8 talls inside the first round next year. If the talls keep improving, it should be a good year for talls.

The other element for Carlton is with those talls selected last year, a second year of development is necessary to get some idea as to how they're tracking and get an indication where the clubs list needs are and how many talls and where may they be needed.
I hope we get Petrevski-Seton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back