Knightwheelrqr 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think Irving is still a chance at the Pies? I know Sandy had a bad year, but I think he was pretty good. A strongly built goal kicking midfielder

He is contracted with GWS

Cheers. Let me know if there are any other NSW boys who come under GWS. Don't really know my NSW footy all that well.

Does anyone think Irving is still a chance at the Pies? I know Sandy had a bad year, but I think he was pretty good. A strongly built goal kicking midfielder

Irving I'm not so sure he will go in the ND, but as a rookie I think he is a strong possibility and he would be a very good option. I really like him as a prospect and I think a number of teams would have to be considering him.

I'm not sure what the Pies think of him, trained with us before the rookie draft last year, but didn't take him obviously. I think he will be looked at, but I think of the mature age guys probably Nathan Phillips from my news is the guy who is higher on our list. But Irving is one I could certainly recommend as a rookie selection. Might even come up as a smoky in the preseason draft.

Eagles to upgrade pick 4 by offering it to GC + a player. That's my dream anyway since the top 3 are so clear cut.

Eagles to upgrade pick 4 by offering it to GC + a player. That's my dream anyway since the top 3 are so clear cut.

It does seem pretty clear that they don't rate pick 4, but hard to know if they will find an appropriate trading partner. Doubt GC will trade a top 3 pick, even though WC would love Bennell. I wouldn't discount WC downtrading that pick into the teens if it means they get an additional player they might like.

Will have to wait for trade week. WC I expect will be fairly active.

who are the best tall defenders in the draft? I would love the lions to get a Harry taylor type player after their first pick...especially if they get 2 first round picks with a brennan trade

The top two in this draft are Matt Watson (VIC) + Patrick McCarthy (SA) and they are the two best KPDs in the draft by a fair stretch. Watson is a bigger bodied, ready to go rebounding defender. Massive kick.
McCarthy is more of an athletic running tall type who will take a good 3 years to put on the muscle required to hold down a key position post at AFL level, but once he does physically develop he could be very, very good. Displays allot of good leadership attributes and there is allot to like.

Of the pair my preference is Watson, but many here like McCarthy more and understandably because he is very talented. For Brisbane of the pair I would probably recommend Watson as he can step right in and help more immediately.

As for where they will go. They are both most likely going in the top 20. Many might even switch around my positioning of this pair in the draft and think McCarthy will go before Watson, really depends on preferences. But both are very different and for different teams should come into consideration. One of this pair will almost certainly be available come your first selection.

The top two in this draft are Matt Watson (VIC) + Patrick McCarthy (SA) and they are the two best KPDs in the draft by a fair stretch. Watson is a bigger bodied, ready to go rebounding defender. Massive kick.
McCarthy is more of an athletic running tall type who will take a good 3 years to put on the muscle required to hold down a key position post at AFL level, but once he does physically develop he could be very, very good. Displays allot of good leadership attributes and there is allot to like.

Of the pair my preference is Watson, but many here like McCarthy more and understandably because he is very talented. For Brisbane of the pair I would probably recommend Watson as he can step right in and help more immediately.

As for where they will go. They are both most likely going in the top 20. Many might even switch around my positioning of this pair in the draft and think McCarthy will go before Watson, really depends on preferences. But both are very different and for different teams should come into consideration. One of this pair will almost certainly be available come your first selection.

thanks for the good breakdown mate. The lions will however use their first pick for a midfielder, so I can only hope we get a decent pick for brennan or drummond so they ask to leave the den. Watson sounds like a very good option for the lions.

Also, would you expect carlton to be definates to take the best defender with their first pick should Watson slip? Making carltons pick the deadline for the lions should they consider him?

thanks for the good breakdown mate. The lions will however use their first pick for a midfielder, so I can only hope we get a decent pick for brennan or drummond so they ask to leave the den. Watson sounds like a very good option for the lions.

Right now I have Joel Wilkinson down for your 1st rounder as a bit of a smoky. I think he will test outstandingly at the draft combine considering he is from an athletics background and also I have a good feeling he will interview really well which will give him a late boost up the order I'm sure.

On Wilkinson the Brisy pick. I took him in the bigfooty phantom draft and at 10 in the real thing for Brisbane while he isn't on everyones radar he is on mine. He is really a nice utility who at this stage is still learning the game, but for someone who has only picked up the game 2 years ago now, gee he is good! Plays inside mid, HBF and really any role you want to him learn I think he could.

He has a really strong desire and he has the right character. Really has the desire to get the best out of himself and is a really special player and will be a highlight to watch. One thing I do like about him is that he isn't afraid to put his head over the ball, likes contact and tackles well, so being new to the game being able to pick up on these aspects of the game really impresses me. Year 1 he might get a few games late in the season if the team is struggling, but expect him to really progress in season 2 and beyond. I think he will be a star of the competition. He really exudes responsibility and is future captain material. Really nice compliment to go with Rich + Harwood (who will also develop into an outstanding mid. Wilkinson for mine really completes that midfield for many years to come to set Brisbane up for the future strongly).

Right now I have Joel Wilkinson down for your 1st rounder as a bit of a smoky. I think he will test outstandingly at the draft combine considering he is from an athletics background and also I have a good feeling he will interview really well which will give him a late boost up the order I'm sure.

On Wilkinson the Brisy pick. I took him in the bigfooty phantom draft and at 10 in the real thing for Brisbane while he isn't on everyones radar he is on mine. He is really a nice utility who at this stage is still learning the game, but for someone who has only picked up the game 2 years ago now, gee he is good! Plays inside mid, HBF and really any role you want to him learn I think he could.

He has a really strong desire and he has the right character. Really has the desire to get the best out of himself and is a really special player and will be a highlight to watch. One thing I do like about him is that he isn't afraid to put his head over the ball, likes contact and tackles well, so being new to the game being able to pick up on these aspects of the game really impresses me. Year 1 he might get a few games late in the season if the team is struggling, but expect him to really progress in season 2 and beyond. I think he will be a star of the competition. He really exudes responsibility and is future captain material. Really nice compliment to go with Rich + Harwood (who will also develop into an outstanding mid. Wilkinson for mine really completes that midfield for many years to come to set Brisbane up for the future strongly).

Sounds like a smokie like the dangerfield pick by the crows a few years back

Cheers. Let me know if there are any other NSW boys who come under GWS. Don't really know my NSW footy all that well.

Irving I'm not so sure he will go in the ND, but as a rookie I think he is a strong possibility and he would be a very good option. I really like him as a prospect and I think a number of teams would have to be considering him.

I'm not sure what the Pies think of him, trained with us before the rookie draft last year, but didn't take him obviously. I think he will be looked at, but I think of the mature age guys probably Nathan Phillips from my news is the guy who is higher on our list. But Irving is one I could certainly recommend as a rookie selection. Might even come up as a smoky in the preseason draft.

I heard that after he trained with the Pies the club told him to try & get a game with a VFL club to see how he went at the next level. At Seaford he was as mad as a cut snake, had no fear of the contest, would run through anyone. Only saw 1 Sandy game this year & he was ok playing HHF. I havent heard anyone else really talk about him or any rumours about a club being interested this year. His younger brother, Jarrod is a very good fullback too. Reminds me of Presti & Dale Morris (undersized, terrific spoiler & just goes about his business)

I still think we need another tall defender, Nate Brown & Jack look a little shakey. Mark Gale at Nothern Bullants looks pretty good.

Whats Nathan Phillips like?

I heard that after he trained with the Pies the club told him to try & get a game with a VFL club to see how he went at the next level. At Seaford he was as mad as a cut snake, had no fear of the contest, would run through anyone. Only saw 1 Sandy game this year & he was ok playing HHF. I havent heard anyone else really talk about him or any rumours about a club being interested this year. His younger brother, Jarrod is a very good fullback too. Reminds me of Presti & Dale Morris (undersized, terrific spoiler & just goes about his business)

I still think we need another tall defender, Nate Brown & Jack look a little shakey. Mark Gale at Nothern Bullants looks pretty good.

Whats Nathan Phillips like?

Nathan Phillips is a mature ager from the WAFL. Can play forward/ midfield. Really took his game to a whole new level this year and I think would be a very solid rookie prospect. Reminds me a little of Paul Medhurst in many ways stylistically. Got injured mid season but from what i've been hearing he is recovering well from a knee injury.

I heard that after he trained with the Pies the club told him to try & get a game with a VFL club to see how he went at the next level. At Seaford he was as mad as a cut snake, had no fear of the contest, would run through anyone. Only saw 1 Sandy game this year & he was ok playing HHF. I havent heard anyone else really talk about him or any rumours about a club being interested this year.

RE: Chris Irving

Saw Sandringham V Bendigo last week and for the most part (when he was on the ground) started in the centre square. Really quick thinker and usually makes the right decisions, not sure he is as hard at it as he was at Seaford, however, when he has to go, he isn't going to shirt it..

Really liked the way he goes about his footy, seen him play a game earlier in the year (in which he kicked 4 to win the game almost single handedly)..

Likes to kick a goal and positions himself in dangerous spots, at the ruck contests he reads the taps really well and is very good below his knees..

His kicking can sometimes be suspect, however it is sound enough to get by..

For mine, Chris Irving could be a look at in the rookie draft, solid season in an otherwise underwhelming Sandringham outfit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RE: Chris Irving

Saw Sandringham V Bendigo last week and for the most part (when he was on the ground) started in the centre square. Really quick thinker and usually makes the right decisions, not sure he is as hard at it as he was at Seaford, however, when he has to go, he isn't going to shirt it..

Really liked the way he goes about his footy, seen him play a game earlier in the year (in which he kicked 4 to win the game almost single handedly)..

Likes to kick a goal and positions himself in dangerous spots, at the ruck contests he reads the taps really well and is very good below his knees..

His kicking can sometimes be suspect, however it is sound enough to get by..

For mine, Chris Irving could be a look at in the rookie draft, solid season in an otherwise underwhelming Sandringham outfit.

HFF, if I was an employer you would be hired as VFL scout. :p

I probably haven't seen as much of Irving as you have but I do agree with much your analysis.

If a Barlow can be done with him and put a new boot on him he could become a very good AFL level player. But always rated him a solid rookie prospect. There is a fair bit to like about him, still seems to have a fair bit of development in him I feel.

I like your analysis too HFF. From what I have seen he reminds me of Scott burns. Very similar to Marcus maligliani who too came from seaford

My draft as at round 21. 2010 (with predicted positions *likely to change though)

*Descriptions (will be in the same format as my 2009 version) will be added post finals when draft order is completed but feel free to ask questions about my thoughts on any specific draft prospects*
Don't really want to go into much more detail at this stage because I will be involved in the bigfooty phantom draft and I shouldn't be posting this ahead of time but due to popular demand I decided why keep it to myself while others are posting already.
Also this should help those struggling for names...

good list

just wondering about how big south australia will have on this draft with them coming second overall in National Championships? will this be the best National draft for south australian football?

and west adelaide football club are renowned for producing good footballers into the AFL system, how much of an impact will they have on the draft this year?

Just moved a few around. Think Carlton might go KPF in the 1st round. Lynch has a wideish range but he could be someone who finds himself going higher. Jacobs I don't know how high the Pies are on him, but just whoever is best available we will take and I just rate the 24 guys ahead of him at this stage (though I would be in the minority with many thinking Jacobs should be taken in the teens). I'll be playing around with the picks a fair bit so don't read into it.

I really rate your midfield honestly. There is a whole lot to like with a number of high draft picks there. After today though you have secured pick 6 with Brisbane winning, so one of Gaff/ Atley/ Gorringe looms likely. Gorringe who for whatever reason you sound discouraged about, I really rate him very highly and I think he would be great in a ruck partnership with Vickery (yes I rate him will ahead of Gus). I would be surprised if you didn't take the one of those 3 who is available. My thinking is that it might be Atley available, but one of those 3 will be available and all of which are worthy selections at 6.
Smith I like, but pick 6 is too early. Smith is more a pick 8-16 guy in my view.

I too like your backline so I wouldn't do much there.

I'll have a think about forwards. Ozgur Uysal might come into the clubs thinking from 3rd round. And I'm sure an additional midfielder will be added anyway. Myles Sewell is almost an attractive fit for Richmond late as a ready to go immediate guy, don't think he will go as high as I currently have him but other decent midfielders can be found later.

As for KPFs I'm not sold on Griffiths. Injury prone and really no idea what he will develop into. *Not a huge fan myself though it is encouraging to head Hardwick is*. I'd look to add minimum x1 KPF at some point in the draft. Possibly 2nd round since there are a few nice options.

IF you do not rate Smith good enough for #6,

Ately & Gaff go top 5 - who do you now feel Richmond will look at #6?

As others have said with Graham, Browne, Vickery and back up of Post, Westhoff all under 23 yoa I am not sure RFC will look at Gorringe, ahead of a mid? instead look at a ruckman or 2 with late pick/s

good list

just wondering about how big south australia will have on this draft with them coming second overall in National Championships? will this be the best National draft for south australian football?

and west adelaide football club are renowned for producing good footballers into the AFL system, how much of an impact will they have on the draft this year?

I think there will be a fair number drafted. I'm not sure it will be a record for SA players in total but there will be a fair few up the high end. Sam Day should go top 3. Gorringe projects as a top 5 or 6 guy. Scott Lycett + Patrick McCarthy are 7-20 range. Then Smith and Polec are fantastic mids who will go top 15-20. So there is an unusual amount of high end talent. Others including: Sebastian Tap, George Horlin-Smith, Jamie Solly and a handful of others are also strong chances to get drafted. So it will be a very good draft for SA.

IF you do not rate Smith good enough for #6,

Ately & Gaff go top 5 - who do you now feel Richmond will look at #6?

As others have said with Graham, Browne, Vickery and back up of Post, Westhoff all under 23 yoa I am not sure RFC will look at Gorringe, ahead of a mid? instead look at a ruckman or 2 with late pick/s

If Atley + Gaff go top 5 (which I doubt) I would without question go for Gorringe and look to add midfielders/ others later. Gorringe on value I rate ahead of Gaff + Atley, but with WC not really needing a ruckman I think he will go at 5, if he does drop then he would be a great get at 6! Outstanding athletic talent who will develop into a fantastic player.

On Smith and the other mids there is no way I would pick them top 6. Gorringe is a really special player, while the others will be incredibly good and will no doubt have a more immediate impact being midfielders, I do think Gorringe is of more value long term. I think a Vickery/ Gorringe ruck combo could be amongst the best ruck divisions in 3-4 years.

With early draft picks the best bet is to almost always go best available, then after that just fill in the needs later which is largely what Richmond did last year in taking Dustin Martin.

HFF, if I was an employer you would be hired as VFL scout. :p

I probably haven't seen as much of Irving as you have but I do agree with much your analysis.

If a Barlow can be done with him and put a new boot on him he could become a very good AFL level player. But always rated him a solid rookie prospect. There is a fair bit to like about him, still seems to have a fair bit of development in him I feel.

:D:D

Would love the opportunity ;)

I think that his kicking is ok, a bit better than what Barlows was to be honest.

I like your analysis too HFF. From what I have seen he reminds me of Scott burns. Very similar to Marcus maligliani who too came from seaford

Do not think he is similar to Marcus Marigliani, 'Rigger' is more explosive than Irving, and is a lot more inside than what Irving is, both can play as half forwards however Marcus is able to play as a genuine 'small' forward where as I am yet to see Irving play as a genuine 'small forward', against a quality small defender.

Will wait and see though, however I could see someone taking a risk and picking him up late, however, with this draft running 'deep' his chances may be dwindling, whilst extra picks may give him a break.. Collingwood are interested in him, spoke to his younger brother Jarrod the other day and he can confirm a meeting with Collingwood last week.

wouldnt discount Gorringe for eagles at 4. whilst eagles do have cox and naitanui, cox will be 30 next year and Gorringe from what i gather can play at FF (which we lack) and which is where he can be slotted in to develop for a couple of years.

wouldnt discount Gorringe for eagles at 4. whilst eagles do have cox and naitanui, cox will be 30 next year and Gorringe from what i gather can play at FF (which we lack) and which is where he can be slotted in to develop for a couple of years.

It is very plausible and I don't think it is entirely unrealistic either.

WC without a doubt need more ruck depth (once Cox leaves there is only Nic Nat and no other ruck depth on the senior list).

Gorringe could play the no.2 role, no issue. I don't really have an issue with many of WC's young mids but the easy way to get better is to go after mids, so with GC developing a monster you almost need the excellerated growth via a midfield upgrade. WC have expressed interest in getting better now so the educated guess is that they will go with Gaff/ Atley if indeed they do keep their selection because ruckman do take longer to develop. The getting better now idea is also why I have loaded up your draft from the 3rd round with a number of mature age options because I do see many of them playing from season 1 and being a nice fit with excisting players.

In terms of ruckman for WC, I think more back end and rookie ruck prospects need to be invested in and now because Cox only has another 2-3 years left in him. More long term depth at the position needs to be generated to be ready by the time Cox is gone. If Andrew Phillips slips into the rookie draft I would be all over him. But I see more late-rookie being more so where they might get these types from.

Knightweeler, it does look to be a battle between Caddy, Parker and perhaps Smith at Pick 8?

I've got a tendency to be in favour of the boy Parker, just looks like a Selwood-type, hard as nails, clearance king and smart, would you agree?

Knightweeler, it does look to be a battle between Caddy, Parker and perhaps Smith at Pick 8?

I've got a tendency to be in favour of the boy Parker, just looks like a Selwood-type, hard as nails, clearance king and smart, would you agree?

We will see how they test and what clubs think of them, but I don't see much seperating many of them.

Of those 3 if you ask 3 different people you will hear 3 different responses as to who is the better player.

In terms of a fit for Essendon of those 3 I would favour Smith in that his style of play would be the best fit into your team. Smith has that Chris Judd type burst speed which might go well with your current group of inside mids, he is not Chris Judd by any stretch of the imagination but he can do those types of things and is the same sort of size and style of player.

At 8 though I wouldn't discount Jayden Pitt who is an elite kick or Scott Lycett who is a top quality ruckman. I would probably favour one of the pair and take a stab at possibly Guthrie in the 2nd round and stock up on another inside mid late.

Great responses, cheers.

Saw that Guthrie was named as BOG the other day. Looking forward to having a look at the boy.

On another issue, if Steven May wasn't a zone selection how high would he have gone and what do you think of him?

Good Job Knight,

First post here, whats your thoughts on the late WA boys in the list Litherland, Alessiou. Brookes etc, seen a bit of them and they go ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back