Kurt Tippett - is he subject to AFL requirements?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure where to put this, so main board it is.

I have just read on the AFL website that Kurt Tippett will be delisted and then drafted as a rookie. Furthermore, a statement from Sydney has declared neither Tippett or Sydney believe Tippett will play again as he is unfit for football.

Given the recent circumstances surrounding Mumford, is it possible that Tippett would be subject to testing? And if so, if he breached the AFL policies - could he be deregistered or subject to other AFL sanctions?

I have just read on the AFL website that Kurt Tippett will be delisted and then drafted as a rookie. Furthermore, a statement from Sydney has declared neither Tippett or Sydney believe Tippett will play again as he is unfit for football.

Given the recent circumstances surrounding Mumford, is it possible that Tippett would be subject to testing? And if so, if he breached the AFL policies - could he be deregistered or subject to other AFL sanctions?
I'd have thought he would be, as a listed player. With guys sitting on a list to collect payment from that years TPP naybe the AFL wouldn't bother testing. It's up to ASADA to do test or not though surely.

Mummy's penalty as a non-player of fines, 2 game suspension and a strike is unenforceable. He wants to play in 2019 so he has to accept them to achieve that goal. It's about the optics and doesn't have to make sense really.

I would imagine so, as he is a currently listed player.

The whole thing is a bit on the nose really - if they couldn’t afford to offload him last year because of the Salary Cap, how is this able to stretch into another season?

Or could they pay out his for each season he holds a contract for until it’s done?
I believe so. It's not necessarily they couldn't pay him out, but it wouldn't have been planned in last years TPP. On the rookie list only a percentage if the payment is within the TPP I think.
If I get bored I'll read the CBA and try and try and figure it out.

It's cap management.
They are paying him in 2019 as part of his settlement, putting him on the rookie list puts about the first 80k of that outside the cap.

It's cap management.
They are paying him in 2019 as part of his settlement, putting him on the rookie list puts about the first 80k of that outside the cap.

It's just yet another way that clubs can pay over their salary cap. Not a Sydney Swans issue

I would be testing Buddy well before I tested Tippett.

Is there any point testing Buddy? It’s not like a positive test would have an affect with him being an AFL poster boy.

It's just yet another way that clubs can pay over their salary cap. Not a Sydney Swans issue
It's just part of the CBA so yeah nothing to do with the Swans. Hawks are doing it with Langford in 2019

Rookies are outside the cap unless they are getting paid more than the minimum for Round 3 draft picks, then the difference is in the cap.

So makes sense if you have some deadwood on the list eating up your cap that you make them a Rookie so it's a smaller hit

I'm assuming they couldn't afford to pay him out this year and had to spread the cost over two seasons to stay under the cap this year. It's a little strange from the outside but only because our media puts so little effort into understanding and explaining this side of the business

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ll only test him if they’re confident he’s clean
True, but Sydney should take him on a drug bender, then get the AFL to test, so they can get out of the contract. ;)

It's cap management.
Wouldn't be the first time he has been paid outside the cap...

Wouldn't be the first time he has been paid outside the cap...
yes but this isn't under the tables this is following a normal CBA rule to minimize TPP impact

I would imagine so, as he is a currently listed player.

The whole thing is a bit on the nose really - if they couldn’t afford to offload him last year because of the Salary Cap, how is this able to stretch into another season?

Or could they pay out his for each season he holds a contract for until it’s done?

Tippett retired in January this year. He could not be delisted as it was too late and the new season had already begun. Sydney had to wait the year out before they could do anything with him. He was paid his full salary this year as he would have been had he not retired. Swans will finalise his payout next year while he is on the rookie list and then delist him at the end of the year.

Tippett retired in January this year. He could not be delisted as it was too late and the new season had already begun. Sydney had to wait the year out before they could do anything with him. He was paid his full salary this year as he would have been had he not retired. Swans will finalise his payout next year while he is on the rookie list and then delist him at the end of the year.

I realise that.

But this is clearly an unusual case as he will now spend 2 complete seasons on the list post ‘retirement’.

I can’t think of another circumstance in which this has happened in my 30+ years following the game.

Obviously comes down to diluting the amount of money worn each season under the cap...which I assume is a byproduct of Tippett’s unwillingness to leave any money on the table.

Sydney are doing what they need to do to minimise the cash drain this guy would be on their cap - fair enough - but don’t pretend that him being still listed for 2019 was the expected occurrence in this case when he pulled the pin/got the elbow back in January.

I realise that.

But this is clearly an unusual case as he will now spend 2 complete seasons on the list post ‘retirement’.

I can’t think of another circumstance in which this has happened in my 30+ years following the game.

Obviously comes down to diluting the amount of money worn each season under the cap...which I assume is a byproduct of Tippett’s unwillingness to leave any money on the table.

Sydney are doing what they need to do to minimise the cash drain this guy would be on their cap - fair enough - but don’t pretend that him being still listed for 2019 was the expected occurrence in this case when he pulled the pin/got the elbow back in January.

Yes it was, at least pretty quickly.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k=e6761f07302c6d39183ea6504c3e7d87-1542021410

Wasn’t there also something to do with with work cover insurance or something.

I know he wants to play country footy but can’t because of insurance issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back