Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard there was a practice match at Lancy on weekend between Tonny and Gig. Tonny really beat them up??? Were Gig undermanned or was this just the difference between the 2 clubs relevant to their different standards in the different standard leagues?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Heard there was a practice match at Lancy on weekend between Tonny and Gig. Tonny really beat them up??? Were Gig undermanned or was this just the difference between the 2 clubs relevant to their different standards in the different standard leagues?

I heard it was the thirds

Talk on GV BigFooty site is that all leagues will be shut down over next 24 hours!!!

Just gut breaking for all clubs bootze! If we don’t get a late start ( fingers crossed) If we don’t I just don’t know what the outcome will be for a couple of clubs going into 2021 And what a year it promised to be In the Kdl. Drove past Ardys ground yesterday could not believe the work being done the oval and surroundings looked great also with new netball courts I just hope this venue and all the others get used this year

With the hope of a full season whittling down as the COVID-19 response intensifies. I had a bit of a sketch for how a short season could work in the KDL.

Teams placed into three 5 team pools, based on club strength (club champion stats from 2019 or similar). Teams play each team in their own pool over 5 weeks, two home games, two away games and a bye.

Pool A: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13
Pool B: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14
Pool C: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

or

Pool A: 1, 6, 7, 12, 13
Pool C: 3, 4, 9, 10, 15

From there the top 2 teams from each pool form the top 6.

Top Pool A v 2nd Pool B
Top Pool B v 2nd Pool C
Top Pool C v 2nd Pool A

From there the 3 winners and 1 other (some sort of wildcard or highest ranked losing team??) become Preliminary Finalists with the winners to play off for the Premiership.

In total it would take 8 weeks. Obviously if we have more time than that, a more substantial season could be pursued - with 15 weeks needed for all teams to meet once.

Has anyone else had other thoughts on how a season could be salvaged?

To be honest, I don’t think that we will play at all...

Last edited:
With the hope of a full season whittling down as the COVID-19 response intensifies. I had a bit of a sketch for how a short season could work in the KDL.

Teams placed into three 5 team pools, based on club strength (club champion stats from 2019 or similar). Teams play each team in their own pool over 5 weeks, two home games, two away games and a bye.

Pool A: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13
Pool C: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

or

Pool A: 1, 6, 7, 12, 13
Pool C: 3, 4, 9, 10, 15

From there the top 2 teams from each pool form the top 6.

Top Pool A v 2nd Pool B
Top Pool B v 2nd Pool C
Top Pool C v 2nd Pool A

From there the 3 winners and 1 other (some sort of wildcard or highest ranked losing team??) become Preliminary Finalists with the winners to play off for the Premiership.

In total it would take 8 weeks. Obviously if we have more time than that, a more substantial season could be pursued - with 15 weeks needed for all teams to meet once.

Has anyone else had other thoughts on how a season could be salvaged?

To be honest, I don’t think that we will play at all...

I am hoping we do play. Footy drives these small communities. 16 weeks, play every one once, then two weeks of finals with a top 4. 1v4 & 2v3 then a granny. Completely fair and whoever finished top 4 after playing everyone once deserves it. Could finish as late as end of October. I’m always an optimist though!

Left field thought, but if there was a possibility for a shortened season would people be up for a few midweek matches?

Say a run of Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday matches without training sessions in between (or maybe one training session for the week) to get as much of a season in as possible. I am not suggesting it happens for the full season, maybe a half or third of the season to get at least 12-14 matches into eight weeks.

My thought is that the Wednesday nighters would be restricted to senior games or ressies and seniors and consist of derbies or matches between teams relatively close to each other. The idea might be slammed by the guys in here but I'm just using some creative thinking to get as much footy in as possible if it came down to the season consisting of home and away games in August and September and the finals in the first half of October.

Left field thought, but if there was a possibility for a shortened season would people be up for a few midweek matches?

Say a run of Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday matches without training sessions in between (or maybe one training session for the week) to get as much of a season in as possible. I am not suggesting it happens for the full season, maybe a half or third of the season to get at least 12-14 matches into eight weeks.

My thought is that the Wednesday nighters would be restricted to senior games or ressies and seniors and consist of derbies or matches between teams relatively close to each other. The idea might be slammed by the guys in here but I'm just using some creative thinking to get as much footy in as possible if it came down to the season consisting of home and away games in August and September and the finals in the first half of October.

Midweek footy would be amazing. Although there probably wouldn't be enough facilities with the lighting capabilities to do it. From the top of my head grounds around the traps with the capacity to host night games include:
  • Kyabram
  • Deakin (although I doubt Council would approve even more games there, given the wear and tear it already has)
  • Mooroopna
  • Benalla (I know they used to be able to, but can they still?)
  • Gig
  • Dookie
Are there many others? Plus, that list only has 2 Clubs from the league. It'd be a tough sell getting other Clubs to approve the use of their grounds with out having to give up some cash.

Also, I'm not sure whether the grounds above have the ability to host night netball matches too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midweek footy would be amazing. Although there probably wouldn't be enough facilities with the lighting capabilities to do it. From the top of my head grounds around the traps with the capacity to host night games include:
  • Kyabram
  • Deakin (although I doubt Council would approve even more games there, given the wear and tear it already has)
  • Mooroopna
  • Benalla (I know they used to be able to, but can they still?)
  • Gig
  • Dookie
Are there many others? Plus, that list only has 2 Clubs from the league. It'd be a tough sell getting other Clubs to approve the use of their grounds with out having to give up some cash.

Also, I'm not sure whether the grounds above have the ability to host night netball matches too.
Pretty sure Shep East can as well.

I am hoping we do play. Footy drives these small communities. 16 weeks, play every one once, then two weeks of finals with a top 4. 1v4 & 2v3 then a granny. Completely fair and whoever finished top 4 after playing everyone once deserves it. Could finish as late as end of October. I’m always an optimist though!

18 weeks would be amazing!

Since their is no footy in sight. Does anyone wanna try a team of the past decade
I could do 2 teams even 3 and it would be a toss of the coin which one was the best Been some great players in the last 10 years players like Pelly, Thompson, Sidey, Duncan, Burnett, Lee, Haysom, Mellington, Godsmart, Snelson, Foreys, Laporta, Whelan,Rats, Linc Wellington, Shiels ,Pool, Horsbourgh, Morgan, Wagstaff, the Perry boys, Wren,,Hooda, just to name a small few. Ps. and don’t forget the AFL boys at Vt and Rocca at tally. Go for it and add a few more to that list !!

I could do 2 teams even 3 and it would be a toss of the coin which one was the best Been some great players in the last 10 years players like Pelly, Thompson, Sidey, Duncan, Burnett, Lee, Haysom, Mellington, Godsmart, Snelson, Foreys, Laporta, Whelan,Rats, Linc Wellington, Shiels ,Pool, Horsbourgh, Morgan, Wagstaff, the Perry boys, Wren,,Hooda, just to name a small few. Ps. and don’t forget the AFL boys at Vt and Rocca at tally. Go for it and add a few more to that list !!
Minimum of 10 games? Does Rocca playing a 1 off at tally count.

That’s most of the guns Swoopin! I’ll add Herbert, Ash Hockey, Tom Sullivan, Chris Cullinan, Sterling, Tyers, Shane Lynch, Milne, Chris Kilmartin.

Stroobants and Tom Hams rocking up to Stanhope in 2013 were some handy additions!

Covered for mids as always.. Lacking a few more key backs and Ruck options.
Dan Breen and Woodcock come to mind as other rucks?

Last edited:
That’s most of the guns Swoopin! I’ll add Herbert, Ash Hockey, Tom Sullivan, Chris Cullinan, Sterling, Tyers, Shane Lynch, Milne, Chris Kilmartin.

Stroobants and Tom Hams rocking up to Stanhope in 2013 were some handy additions!

Covered for mids as always.. Lacking a few more key backs and Ruck options.
Dan Breen and Woodcock come to mind as other rucks?
Pauly Arandt been pretty handy for a while.

I am hoping the season goes ahead so the Bushcats can unleash there new recruits.
It be getting me warm an tingly inside that’s for sure 😂😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back