Qld Labor's plan to rename everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Natural things like Uluru I like changing the name. Cities or towns not so much.

I think a lot if the small south west towns in WA already have names with Indigenous roots, that's why there's so many ending in "in" or "up".

I’ve only really seen calls to rename a place when the place is named after someone who committed crimes against indigenous people (Stirling in WA) or the place has significant meaning to indigenous people (Uluṟu).

Certainly any new place or suburb in this nation should be given an indigenous name.

Yes, there will always be a backlash, but what I'm interested in is, why? What causes people to be so conservative that they are not merely indifferent to a name change but actively hostile to it?
Conservatives are inherently hostile to any change. It does not matter what it is - change must be resisted.

Essentially they are petrified.
There’s a tongue-in-cheek line (with a fair deal of truth to it) that a conservative is someone who believes nothing should be tried for the first time.

To the degree that’s true, you’d think they’d be applaud things reverting to their original name.

To the degree that’s true, you’d think they’d be applaud things reverting to their original name.
Yes, but something actually outweighs tradition in the conservative mindset: the ingrained notion that white is right (especially if it's Anglo). "Our" traditions are more valuable than "their" traditions. That's also why they so strongly defend celebrating 26 January, regardless of how much pain it causes others, or the reality that the date of celebration has been moved around a lot in the past century.

Last edited:
Yes, but something actually outweighs tradition in the conservative mindset: the ingrained notion that white is right (especially if it's Anglo). "Our" traditions are more valuable than "their" traditions. That's also why they do strongly defend celebrating 26 January, regardless of how much pain it causes others, or the reality that the date of celebration has been moved around a lot in the past century.
That's absolutely what I was alluding to.

Yes, but something actually outweighs tradition in the conservative mindset: the ingrained notion that white is right (especially if it's Anglo). "Our" traditions are more valuable than "their" traditions. That's also why they so strongly defend celebrating 26 January, regardless of how much pain it causes others, or the reality that the date of celebration has been moved around a lot in the past century.
Maybe they are just trying to deny that the Anglo's are in fact boat peoples themselves.

an inaccuate understanding of history and biology leads one to adopt certain ideological views which in this case may lead one to support the change in the name of a city.
Again: what has biology got to do with it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

an inaccuate understanding of history and biology leads one to adopt certain ideological views which in this case may lead one to support the change in the name of a city.
I think Seeds is trying to point out the connection between 'wokism', and the reasons behind the 'renaming'.

He isn't calling the renaming a 'biological' thing. He's linking it to the 'biology' of pronouns.

Won't happen in Qld the racists would make it a bloodbath for Labor similar to 2012.

I think Seeds is trying to point out the connection between 'wokism', and the reasons behind the 'renaming'.

He isn't calling the renaming a 'biological' thing. He's linking it to the 'biology' of pronouns.
Eat Grilled Cheese GIF by Dietz & Watson

Brisbane Airport changed its name to Meeanjin, its Indigenous name, on the departures board, causing confusion for travellers, says Sky News host Liz Storer.

Brisbane Airport changed its name to Meeanjin, its Indigenous name, on the departures board, causing confusion for travellers, says Sky News host Liz Storer.

I've never seen Liz Storer before, but that was one of the most insufferable 10 seconds of video I've experienced in quite a long time.

On the topic of the video, the switch from Anglo to Aboriginal name is every two seconds, and similar departure/arrival boards in Perth hasn't caused any problems in two years, but here's hoping a few perpetually outraged rednecks missed their flights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back