Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Riader set to smash NFL record

will never be in the same league as Ray Guy :D, but will be one of the best in the history of the NFL when he's career is over ... I still laugh remembering that botched play against SD (i think), fake punt that Schwiegert miss called, and Lechler nearly runs it for a first down.

That was still on for a first down, if Stu didn't decide to call off the attempt. It looked wide open.

i know, it was on! ... but Stu called it off, Lechler didn't hear .. and we all know how that went ...

I thought this year would be a quieter year, less drama and crazy stuff. But this year has been THE most turbulent, drama filled year full of crazy ass s**t all over the place....from longest hold out ever, youngest HC ever, the cutting of Moses, the rumors of feuds or admin errors, Al's press conference, etc etc.

The drama has not stopped.

hahaha......i can see your trying to take as many positives out of yet another dissapointing season, gg.

Not that i think a punter's accomplishments arent worthy of a mention.....it is an all-time record he's looking at......and special teams at the raiders appears to be a department that's functioning very well........i even think the defence isnt too bad (well perhaps it is against the run).......its just the offense isnt giving them anything to defend, so one slip up, such as Carr's last weekend, will always hurt!

anyway, good on lechler for his feat.......along with janikowski they're prolly the most solid pairs of legs of all of the 32 teams in the league.:thumbsu:

I thought this year would be a quieter year, less drama and crazy stuff. But this year has been THE most turbulent, drama filled year full of crazy ass s**t all over the place....from longest hold out ever, youngest HC ever, the cutting of Moses, the rumors of feuds or admin errors, Al's press conference, etc etc.

The drama has not stopped.

its like .. nothing has changed for me .. west coasts season is over, and the turmoil that i am accustomed to meets me again with the oakland raiders.

we have a semi good defence, semi good special teams, all we need is the offense to give us at least something .. which it hasn't been.

Oakland Raiders: "The Black Hole"

I read this from another site, and it makes a lot of sense.

Right now Mark Davis (just like his father was doing some 25 years ago), is “kicking tires” to gauge interest in whether or not a new stadium can get done. This time around can Oakland FINALLY hold onto the Raiders?

IMHO, Oakland for the second time in a row will drag it’s feet instead of be proactive and end up losing the Raiders yet AGAIN.

When does the Raiders lease expire? 2010. What year are we in?

Call me crazy, but gee, I dunno, seems to me the plans for a new stadium should ALREADY have been in the works with just two short years to go.

Heck, one could argue that they should be breaking ground on a new stadium right now so it will be ready for when the lease expires.

Seems to me instead of their future being up in the air (again) that Oakland should have already have them committed to staying.

Note: this does NOT mean that the Raiders are going to leave but the longer you wait to ask that girl to dance the better the chances somebody else does… and cuts in front of you.

Somebody better get off the schnide and take charge because you certainly can’t expect a team that has been way more beneficial to the NFL then the Cardinals to stay in it’s current residence.

What was being discussed was how the first time around, 25 years ago, Al Davis like a savvy businessman was gauging interest from LA purely to push the city of Oakland into coughing up an agreement to build a new stadium. The basic business idea being that the Raiders at the time were THE top franchise in American Football, and the city of Oakland's most significant team. So, with the city of Oakland stalling about building Al a new stadium at the time, the idea is to leverage off talks with LA to goad Oakland to cough up the new stadium.
But Oakland mistakenly didn't and Al was forced to take action and go to LA.

So it could well seem like the same scenario happening here.
The NFL wants a team in LA (tho probably would hate it to be the Raiders gaining such strength), and with the Niners moving down to Santa Clara, and McAfee Coliseum being such a dinosaur, once again the city of Oakland could be faced with the same situation. Cough up a new stadium or lose a significant NFL franchise to another city.

Re: Raiders back to LA?

Personally gg I would not like to see them go to LA again, but if Oakland cannot cough up the stadium (and Mcafee seems on the way out) then I do not see many other options. But Oakland Raiders for me, not LA Raiders.

Having been too the Oakland Coliseum GG and Manureid, i didnt think the stadium was too bad. Sure, it looks like its been around for a while, but its not a bad facility. Its decent for a football stadium......its baseball there that sucks.

The lack of undercover seating is a drawback, but ofcourse, the major factor in football stadiums these days is luxury suites. These are the money-makers for any football organisation and its always difficult to put many of them into stadiums which did not allow for it in the original design.

Oakland compromised with Al back in the 90's with the addition of the upper deck on the East side of the stadium. And in doing so, pissed off the A's by completely turning the look of the stadium into a football complex. The foul lines were already the furthest from the seating than any other MLB arena in the competition.

With the A's relocating to Fremont (still within the county though), I would think that city would prefer not to lose another major sporting franchise. But at the same time, Im sure Al's a prick to deal with and the city knows they have some leverage. LA has no desire to build a stadium at the moment. The LA Coliseum, and at a stretch - the Rose Bowl - are even less conducive for a professional football franchise these days. If the Oakland stadium is a dinosaur, what do you call these!! Furthermore, the LA Coliseum is situated in a shithole (been there too), and the Rose Bowl aint even LA technically. But they're good enough for USC and UCLA respectively and the city of LA can argue it has more than enough good football at collegiate level to have any need to spend big on luring professional football. Its the NFL that want LA, not the other way round.

So where else can Al go???

I had heard a few years ago that the the NFL really wanted to move the Chargers to LA. SD is a small market, and it could almost be considered part of the LA market, IE - Southern California. The same way NE was part of the NY football market before the Pats. The thinking being that any diehard Chargers fans would still make the 2-3 hr drive to LA for the games, and people in SD would still watch on TV. Even though they have been good the last few years, SD I believe still doesn't always sell out their games (could be wrong, at least recently). There are also likely more than a few diehard NFL fans in LA who currently make up the ticket and fanbase of the Chargers. Of course, the Chargers have screwed up this plan with 4 winning seasons and making the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Its a bit hard to move a successful team.

The question I have is why would the NFL want the Raiders to move back to LA? You can only yank around 2 cities for so long. Why would they want to screw over Oakland fans again? Granted, they are very loyal and many would still be Raider fans, but a lot would be alienated. Why would the NFL want Al Davis to gain power by being in the second biggest market? Crazy old Al should stick to wearing his white jumpsuits and enjoy his tapioca pudding and relax as he rides off into the sunset. Once he cashes out or kicks the bucket (not so far away), the NFL can worry about dealing with the new owner and maybe then they can move to LA. If the NFL hates Davis as much as you think, why would they want to put him in charge in LA?

Also, I heard John Clayton on ESPN radio the other night say "Everyone hopes NFL football will return to the Bay Area within the next 5 years":D when talking about this. Everyone had a good laugh, I thought it was pretty funny. Sorry to gg, manureid, brasher and any other Raiders or Niners fans.

I had heard a few years ago that the the NFL really wanted to move the Chargers to LA. SD is a small market, and it could almost be considered part of the LA market, IE - Southern California. The same way NE was part of the NY football market before the Pats. The thinking being that any diehard Chargers fans would still make the 2-3 hr drive to LA for the games, and people in SD would still watch on TV. Even though they have been good the last few years, SD I believe still doesn't always sell out their games (could be wrong, at least recently). There are also likely more than a few diehard NFL fans in LA who currently make up the ticket and fanbase of the Chargers. Of course, the Chargers have screwed up this plan with 4 winning seasons and making the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Its a bit hard to move a successful team.

The question I have is why would the NFL want the Raiders to move back to LA? You can only yank around 2 cities for so long. Why would they want to screw over Oakland fans again? Granted, they are very loyal and many would still be Raider fans, but a lot would be alienated. Why would the NFL want Al Davis to gain power by being in the second biggest market? Crazy old Al should stick to wearing his white jumpsuits and enjoy his tapioca pudding and relax as he rides off into the sunset. Once he cashes out or kicks the bucket (not so far away), the NFL can worry about dealing with the new owner and maybe then they can move to LA. If the NFL hates Davis as much as you think, why would they want to put him in charge in LA?

Also, I heard John Clayton on ESPN radio the other night say "Everyone hopes NFL football will return to the Bay Area within the next 5 years":D when talking about this. Everyone had a good laugh, I thought it was pretty funny. Sorry to gg, manureid, brasher and any other Raiders or Niners fans.

First and foremost....John Clayton is a f**.
Secondly, with the Niners moving to Santa Clara, then the Raiders have an opportunity to shore themselves in Oakland.
But the city of Oakland are MAYBE being elusive again with providing a new stadium.
This simply could push Davis to LA....who never really wanted to leave LA if LA/NFL could've made it work for him by helping instead of interfering.
I don't think the NFL would want Davis in LA to get more power.
But Davis won the original lawsuit against the NFL, which gave him and every other owner the right to move their franchise.
Again tho, LA are being bitches about a new stadium too.
And maybe Davis has to be careful about alienating a second time the existing Oakland fanbase.
I believe that the 2nd lawsuit (which failed) was going to net Davis $1.2B, and probably also give him first dibs on LA in the process.
When that failed, I guess Davis has to go back to negotiating again with Oakland and LA.
Imo, Davis would be keen on establising LA again before he passes away and hands the Raiders to Mark Davis.
But I can also see a reason for Davis to just focus now on remaining in Alameda and Oakland now---fiercely loyal (bar those he alienated and became Niner fans) versus a large but fickle LA market that HAS struggled before to sell out games.
But it's a small market crowded with Niner fans, so it's tricky.

I just think if anyone would go to LA it would be Davis, to stick it to the NFL as well by becoming a top2 franchise.

Having a team in LA is inevitable...at the end of the day football is a business and there is a lot of money to be made from going to LA.

Personally i reckon the NFL will expand, into LA, Canada and 2 other franchises. (one maybe mexico) another maybe in texas...

6 groups of 6 teams.

3 groups per conference. Play everyone in ur conference twice that is 10 games. Play 3 games against 2 other groups in ur conference, that is 16 games. Play 2 games against another conference. total 18 games.

Reduce the preseason by one game. and start the season a week earlier to cover the 2 games.

Group winners in each division make the play offs as well three wildcard spots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a team in LA is inevitable...at the end of the day football is a business and there is a lot of money to be made from going to LA.

Personally i reckon the NFL will expand, into LA, Canada and 2 other franchises. (one maybe mexico) another maybe in texas...

6 groups of 6 teams.

3 groups per conference. Play everyone in ur conference twice that is 10 games. Play 3 games against 2 other groups in ur conference, that is 16 games. Play 2 games against another conference. total 18 games.

Reduce the preseason by one game. and start the season a week earlier to cover the 2 games.

Group winners in each division make the play offs as well three wildcard spots

For the love of God, I hope not. There are already too many teams. I don't think I could stand another 4 absolutely terrible QBs starting in the NFL.

See here - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071221

Imo, I think it's inevitable that Canada and Mexico get involved.
Why?
You can already see the infant steps of that with scheduled games in Mexico City, and now Buffalo in Canada.
Also because of the supposed North American Union which would disband the USA itself, Mexico and Canada, into one Union...using Ameros.

You crack me up gg

As for Chargers to LA, have they approved the stadium deal yet? If they don't get a new stadium deal they would be a prime candidate.

Saints are safe in NO. Sounds as though a new long term deal between the state and team will be announced soon.

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if LA stays off the NFL map for the next 20 years.

I think it would be sad if Oakland moved back to LA, they have so many diehard fans in Oakland. Personally I think that the teams that are most likely to move to LA are the Chargers and maybe even the 49ers, But I doubt that? another 8 teams in the NFL anyone? 1 more for each division?

I think it would be sad if Oakland moved back to LA, they have so many diehard fans in Oakland. Personally I think that the teams that are most likely to move to LA are the Chargers and maybe even the 49ers, But I doubt that? another 8 teams in the NFL anyone? 1 more for each division?

Why wud the 49ers move???

You crack me up gg

As for Chargers to LA, have they approved the stadium deal yet? If they don't get a new stadium deal they would be a prime candidate.

Saints are safe in NO. Sounds as though a new long term deal between the state and team will be announced soon.

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if LA stays off the NFL map for the next 20 years.

Thanks JD u made me feel a whole lot better...i plan on working in New Orleans in 2010...be good to do it at the Dome.

And i dont think the 49ers will ever leave for LA...even though they are movin to Santa Clara they will keep the San Franciso name...the San Francisco 49ers is a sacred name in sport...

the Los Angeles 49ers???? that would be ridiculous!!! the organisation would need to re-invent itself like the Oilers did on moving to Tennessee! and i dont know if such a storied franchise should be allowed to do that unless it was on its last legs!

and 32 is considered the perfect number for the NFL......they prefer relocations to new francshises.

people have to remember that the Bay Area is a market of over 7 million people........it takes in a large area - all the way to santa rosa and napa considered as the north bay, san jose and the south bay, and ofcourse oakland and beyond considered east bay. 2 pro teams can live here! And college football is not as strong in the Bay as it is in SoCal even though Stanford and Cal at Berkeley have a big rivalry.

stadiums are the issue......as it is in LA. candlestick is an eyesore and you need to go through few of SF's undesirable neighbourhoods to get there. santa clara wont be a big issue. Oakland has been discussed - and its wellknown that all of Oakland is an armpit! :D

So where else can Al go???

San Antonio are keen as Texas is a football mad state, considering that interest in getting an NFL club rose when they got to host a few of the Saints home games after Katrina. They already have a ready made stadium in the Alamodome. San Antionio is also something like the 7th biggest market in the States.

However, the NFL would be concerned about over crowding the Texan market. The Houston club have only been around for 6 years or so and haven't done much on field yet and are still slowly developing their fan base.

San Antonio Raiders....nice.

San Antonio are keen as Texas is a football mad state, considering that interest in getting an NFL club rose when they got to host a few of the Saints home games after Katrina. They already have a ready made stadium in the Alamodome. San Antionio is also something like the 7th biggest market in the States.

However, the NFL would be concerned about over crowding the Texan market. The Houston club have only been around for 6 years or so and haven't done much on field yet and are still slowly developing their fan base.

San Antonio Raiders....nice.

It doesn't matter about Houston's onfield peformance, they are ranked 4th most profitable organization at $1.1b.

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007...tions-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html

4 - Houston Texans = $1.1 Billion
The losses keep piling up (56 in five years), but fans continue to fill Reliant Stadium. The stadium is a gold mine for owner Robert McNair. It's home to the biggest naming rights deal in US sports—a 30-year, $300 million deal with Reliant Energy. The stadium is home to 185 luxury suites and 8,400 club seats that generate more than $40 million a year in revenue. This offseason represented an end of an era when the Texans let go its franchise quarterback and first ever draft pick, David Carr.

In all honesty, I think the NorCal market could handle 2 pro-teams, and as mcgarnacle said, SoCal is all about college ball. The fans are far more fickle and diverse in the NFL support too. Still, a team that could plant itself long-term in LA would be huge financially.

Remember also that the Chargers moved from LA originally anyway in the 60's.

I think there are enough cities right now in the US that should/could handle an NFL/pro-team. You could probably expand the NFL another 8 teams easy. In terms of standard of player, it would weaken a little imo, but not ridiculously bad. But 40 NFL teams would be a lot to get parity from. But I'm always for expansion.

For the record -

San Antonio is the 37th rated market. That is why the only major team they have there is the Spurs. I would agree that even though it isn't big, that area (all of Texas, really) is football crazy. And they do already have a stadium, so a team there is not a crazy idea. But the NFL obviously has LA as higher priority, being it is the #2 market.

SanFran-Oakland-SanJose is the #6 market. Obviuosly can support 2 teams.

Houston is the #10 market and as mentioned is in football crazy Texas. Hence why they can make huge money even without winning anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back