Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

I downloaded Mindhunter through shady sources, so it is out there - forgot to mention it is produced by David Fincher (who also directed 4 of the 10 S1 episodes), who also did the excellent Zodiac film.
If you've got a spare USB with a bit of storage I'd happily load it on for you and post it ..

Hahaha; yes, I had to laugh at the name 'Holden Ford' too - I think they changed the FBI agent's identities so that they could have a bit more leeway with characterisation - the character Holden Ford is quite arrogant, with a lot of narcissistic qualities himself - so I suppose it gives Fincher and co. a chance to play with the themes without alienating their real-life source of inspiration (and show consultant) Douglas ...

Interesting that you mention the profile/notoriety of some of these nutters while the crimes of others slip under the radar - S1 of Mindhunter mainly focused on Kemper, but there were a bunch of lower-profile killers and perverts whom I'd never heard of; a little bit of light research quickly revealed that they were all too real.

Edit:

just a bit further to what you were saying about Jaws/reality being scarier than fiction - its the banality of some of these serial killers that freaks me out a bit - Bundy had a long-term girlfriend, enrolled in a couple of universities around the time he was murdering women by the dozen and was a well-liked member of his church group and republican party colleagues.
'BTK' - whom I hadn't heard of prior to watching Mindhunter - was a respected community man, church leader, held down a law enforcement type job and had a wife and kids - didn't prevent him from committing some unspeakable acts over a 30 year period (he was another who liked to write taunting letters to the cops - in this case though it led to his downfall).

I was familiar with the BTK story ... ironically he crossed over from a Zodic/JTR type who had taunted and got away with it. A mind that was wound up provoking the police with communication , succeeding , yet some sort of ego and pride ended up causing him to play that game once too often.. why he believed what they told him about traceability to me sounds like a yearning to get caught... or perhaps to be recognised as the one who had lead them a merry dance. To certain degree its the Halloween protagonist with the mask on creeping in the shadows.. the shadows make it far worse than the sun shinning down in daylight. By the standards of these things the JTR and Zodiac occurrences a far from the pointy end yet their renown has to have something to with that taunting.

I was familiar with the BTK story ... ironically he crossed over from a Zodic/JTR type who had taunted and got away with it. A mind that was wound up provoking the police with communication , succeeding , yet some sort of ego and pride ended up causing him to play that game once too often.. why he believed what they told him about traceability to me sounds like a yearning to get caught... or perhaps to be recognised as the one who had lead them a merry dance. To certain degree its the Halloween protagonist with the mask on creeping in the shadows.. the shadows make it far worse than the sun shinning down in daylight. By the standards of these things the JTR and Zodiac occurrences a far from the pointy end yet their renown has to have something to with that taunting.

the bolded is an interesting question, I wonder if the likes of BTK would have an insight into their own behaviour in this case - having seen interviews with him I doubt it very much.
Berkowitz another who engaged in this practice. His Son of Sam letters are pretty unhinged.

Do short films belong here? They do now.

Pixar are once again choosing to be very rough on the emotions, but it's beautifully done.

I'd given up on Scorsese these past 20-odd years, but he's dug deep and pulled off a miracle with The Irishman - the most scathing, but subtle, take-down of the American way of life these past 100 years. Netflix must be applauded for allowing Scorsese to make it, though I doubt they knew what they were getting into. They probably don't even care.

The canvas if huge, painting the picture of a land that only evolves through theft, corruption and murder, all for the sake of power. Not an original idea, but the deep loathing here is genuine and the ultimate point of it all absolutely futile. Those seeking power are scum and we should never grant them one iota of respect nor importance. Times never change...

It's a must see, especially knowing we'll never see this cast in such an important film ever again. They all know this is the last roll of the dice, and they all excel. DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci, Keitel - incredible.

And the score...when the Fats Domino riff to The Fat Man kicks in early on, you just know you're venturing into another plain; Donnie Elbert's 'Have I Sinned?' is genius; then we get Santo & Johnny with Sleepwalk TWICE - this is a f***ing masterpiece.

But then...as the film goes on, the music falls by the way-side. These pricks we're watching don't deserve the beauty. The silence is deafening, until we return to the beginning - In the Still of the Night, where only death is waiting. Nothing else, but the empty darkness of futility.

Interesting sensationalist movie.
The audience reaction was huge, but possibly many there were already vegans or plant based eaters.
Any extremist diet has me worried.
The low-carb no-carb diet for weight loss has many enthusiasts, but suddenly, a food like a simple banana is evil.
Seeing people on this diet snacking on a piece of commercially made cheese with butter on it literally sickens me. I'll stick to my one banana a day. And many of these disciples eradicate nearly every source of carb including most fruits apart from berries, breads, grains, rice, pasta, and starchy vegies.
On the other hand, many elite athletes that take up the vegan diet, become deficient in Vit B12, iron and zinc, and who knows what else??
Any diet that proposes health benefits, yet nearly unconditionally requires daily supplements... well, I ask, how good is that?
On balance, my reading and decades of life so far make me happy with a balanced Mediterranean type diet.
But this movie was certainly compelling, and well done.

Interesting sensationalist movie.
The audience reaction was huge, but possibly many there were already vegans or plant based eaters.
Any extremist diet has me worried.
The low-carb no-carb diet for weight loss has many enthusiasts, but suddenly, a food like a simple banana is evil.
Seeing people on this diet snacking on a piece of commercially made cheese with butter on it literally sickens me. I'll stick to my one banana a day. And many of these disciples eradicate nearly every source of carb including most fruits apart from berries, breads, grains, rice, pasta, and starchy vegies.
On the other hand, many elite athletes that take up the vegan diet, become deficient in Vit B12, iron and zinc, and who knows what else??
Any diet that proposes health benefits, yet nearly unconditionally requires daily supplements... well, I ask, how good is that?
On balance, my reading and decades of life so far make me happy with a balanced Mediterranean type diet.
But this movie was certainly compelling, and well done.

I feel Im definitely not a grape. Grapes left on the vine become the fruit used for the sweet desert wine.. yet me im becoming sour and sceptical and cynical the older I get.

The movie sounds like it will play into my developing mindset beautifully. What happened to moderation and variation ..butter on cheese sounds like a little to much like Mormon in suits on the weekend to me... want to bring you the good word .cause they know you dont.

Know it alls and door knockers wanting to bring their version of the latest 100% right only confirms to be that my faith in absolutes has faded. Films like Margin Call and The Big Short do this for me as well. The Looming Tower TV series was like that ..I can feel the compasion seeping from my heart.

At the start of the big short there is a Twain quote ... “It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” ... It only seemed like yesterday that eggs were evil, Banana's? ... the world is full of nuts ..the best you can do is make nutloaf.

Been watching La La Land since Saturday night. Seen it before, love it. Ryan Gosling is beautiful to watch!
Good movie. Saw it about the same time as Passengers. Jennifer Lawrence. I enjoyed it, but if you go by reviews, maybe I have no idea.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker.

Thought it was pretty good, even if there were a few plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.
I haven't seen it yet but will definitely get around to doing so - total, crazy, stupid Star Wars fan

But if we are honest, isn't there generally questionable plot holes in most of the Star Wars films and they do require a level of suspension of disbelief?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do short films belong here? They do now.

Pixar are once again choosing to be very rough on the emotions, but it's beautifully done.

I used to be a fan of Eat Carpet on SBS. Multiple short films, some superb. Have been trying to find them again, near impossible.

Watched all of Parasite, Knives Out and JoJo Rabbit last week; had high hopes that I'd enjoy the hell out of all of them, came away underwhelmed by all 3 unfortunately.
I don't watch a helluva lot of films these days so I was a wee bit disappointed and wondered if it was a 'me' problem, but then started watching Better Call Saul S5 and was immediately right into it ... perhaps the film format doesn't do it for me like it used to, dunno ... planning to watch Little Women with my daughter tomorrow night, hopefully that goes a bit better than the other 3 ...

Watched all of Parasite, Knives Out and JoJo Rabbit last week; had high hopes that I'd enjoy the hell out of all of them, came away underwhelmed by all 3 unfortunately.
I don't watch a helluva lot of films these days so I was a wee bit disappointed and wondered if it was a 'me' problem, but then started watching Better Call Saul S5 and was immediately right into it ... perhaps the film format doesn't do it for me like it used to, dunno ... planning to watch Little Women with my daughter tomorrow night, hopefully that goes a bit better than the other 3 ...

I think the issue is the films I tend to like are quite often better explored in a longer format in a series. So many comercial sequels and films that rarely grab me. These days I'm happy if I can just get something from a film an hour or two. Great , I cant remember the last new film I watched and thought great film etc. Like Yesterday it was a flawed vehicle but enjoyable at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back