Left Arm Chinaman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Chinese and taking it back
So, it's ok for you to take back yellowperil, but the same can't apply to term Chinaman despite it having well and truly evolved from its origin?

How did I know someone was going to use Kuldeep Yadav's debut to score points for political correctness instead of celebrating his outstanding bowling. What a sad society we now live in.

I'm not trying to score any points. I'm just letting raising a concern. Do with it what you will.

And your right, Kuldeep bowled really well. Getting Smith as your first wicket with a flipper taught to you by Warnie is an amazing achievement.

So, it's ok for you to take back yellowperil, but the same can't apply to term Chinaman despite it having well and truly evolved from its origin?

Yes because I'm taking back the term YellowPeril as a Chinese person. While the term Chinaman is not being taken back by Chinese people, it's just being used by (predominately) white people. You don't hear Chinese people shouting "Chinaman, Chinaman, Chinaman, Oi, Oi, Oi"

I'm not trying to score any points. I'm just letting raising a concern. Do with it what you will.

And your right, Kuldeep bowled really well. Getting Smith as your first wicket with a flipper taught to you by Warnie is an amazing achievement.

I wonder if dolphins find the term 'flipper' offensive.

I feel like the cricketing term is far enough removed from the racial epithet context-wise that it isn't much of an issue. It's like hattrick or cow corner, nobody is thinking of the etymology of the term, it just means what it means in the cricketing context when people say it.

Obviously it's easy for me to say as a non-Chinese dude, but I personally feel like if you have to ignore actual context and apply an entirely different context to something in order to take offence it's not something worth worrying about. Nobody is trying to oppress or disadvantage Chinese people by using the term, nobody is even thinking of or referring to Chinese people when they use the term, so taking offence seems to require an almost abstract way of looking at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Wu's (one of the Aussie journos reporting on the series) twitter feed is currently inundated with discussion on this. Thinks it's offensive and should be removed from the game as well.

Thanks all for hearing me out.

I was a bit hesitant to start this thread as there was a chance that it could have devolved into a hate filled flame war. But it's been pretty great to have people, while not agreeing with me, at least willing to listen and contribute.

If you come across a 'Chinaman Creek' in this country (and they are still around), what do you think the origin of that name might be?
Yup, chances are it's because someone once killed a Chinese person in the area, just like 'Blackfellow Creek' and the like. I think it's more about wanting to forget a history we'd rather not acknowledge than it is about society really having moved on.
Not really the same thing though, is it?
Supposedly the delivery was perfected by a Chinaman Ellis "Puss" Achong, you should be proud of your people. That's before we start on his questionable nickname.
And given the connotations of Chinaman for much of our history, I'm sure you can understand that it wasn't being used in an endearing manner.
Sorry, but you are not in a protected class so good luck getting the sjws to bite and start up a twitter hashtag campaign.
So you're saying that because someone is Chinese they feel that they're a 'protected class'?

Not really the same thing though, is it?
Yellow and chinaman were both been used as derogatory terms in the past, so in that way they are the same thing. In comparison to chinaman in cricket yellow is a much more derogatory term today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back