Lenny Hayes v Scott West

Who do you take?

• Scott West

Votes: 69 49.6%
  • Lenny Hayes

Votes: 70 50.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The words "easy touches" and Scott West in the same sentence makes no sense.

Unless it's "Scott West is at the bottom of the pack feeding the ball out to allow his teammates some easy touches"

West in this one comfortably... But the poll says otherwise it seems

More accolades. Lenny is still a gun though.
I'm blaming that on recency bias, Lenny having played a very good grand final (BJ was better though) and many on this site not being of an age to understand Scott West's place in the game.

No doubt Hayes was a gun though. Loved him as a neutral and probably preferred his style to West's but West was easily better in my book.

Strange how you came to that conclusion having not watched much of him. I'd say you never watched him play at all if you think he got easy touches.
the games i can remember was near the end of his career playing HBF, think the commentators were banging on about how he had 30+ touches but most of them were uncontested and lots of one twos running it out. So no, not strange buddy, you watch 3 games of a player and someone asks your evaluation, you can still make an evaluation, but it's off a small sample size, which I noted in my original post. Conclusions can be drawn from small or large sample sizes, the larger the size, the more accurate. Your post is, however, strange.

Both guns, West will be the best player to never win a brownlow. Hayes was also a jet, just so hard in the contest & never seemed to get hurt but copped 2 of the worst injuries a footy player could get

the games i can remember was near the end of his career playing HBF, think the commentators were banging on about how he had 30+ touches but most of them were uncontested and lots of one twos running it out. So no, not strange buddy, you watch 3 games of a player and someone asks your evaluation, you can still make an evaluation, but it's off a small sample size, which I noted in my original post. Conclusions can be drawn from small or large sample sizes, the larger the size, the more accurate. Your post is, however, strange.

Your memories a bit hazy, West didn't play at half back at the end of his career, not even for the 3 games you saw.

He's a gun. But no.

Love Westy, but Carey, Matthews and Whitten for starters were better players who didn't win brownlows.

Not speaking on individual talent/skill level "best player", but for someone to be so high in the votes so consistently but never finishing first, there can't be too many players with a similar record

Not speaking on individual talent/skill level "best player", but for someone to be so high in the votes so consistently but never finishing first, there can't be too many players with a similar record
Sam Mitchell, Brent Harvey and Leigh Matthews the only ones that have scored more votes without winning a Brownlow. Mitchell on 204, Matthews on 202 and Harvey on 187. West has 175. Mitchell has the highest votes per game average by far out of the 4, on 0.78.

But Selwood is catching up to them fairly quickly.

If you're interested in more check out this site: http://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/totals0.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didn't watch much of West, seemed to get a lot of easy touches, but no doubt was a champ. Hayes' performance in the drawn granny was pretty incredible. Dunno who's better but voted hayes cos team
This is literally the opposite of Scott West... he was at the bottom of every pack for more than a decade.

West never played half back flank in his life.. you're either completely wrong or thinking of another player. West played centre his entire career.

A massive 1.063 extra votes per season for the Dogs over both their playing periods. Easier to compete against lesser lights for votes than proven vote getters.

Lesser lights? What? You realise that Libba, Wynd, Cooney and Grant (though suspended) ALL won Brownlow's? You don't get much more 'proven vote getters' then that.

Very interesting poll and comments here. Saw the majority of both their careers and for me Hayes was clearly the better player. West has an imposing record in terms of accolades, but he was more the Priddis-type midfielder; get it done, game in game out. Hayes just had that something else, and was capable of really turning it on in the big games.

I can't really make a case in terms of stats, but that's my impression from watching them play.

didn't watch much of West, seemed to get a lot of easy touches, but no doubt was a champ.

This has got to be post of the year.

West was a contested possession beast who extracted the ball in the midfield.

Don't express an opinion if you don't know what you're talking about.

As much as it pains me to say it but definitely Hayes

IMO only Voss was better in his era in rallying the troops and pushing his team to go with them when the chips were down.

Joel Selwood shows these talismanic like specialties also which makes him arguably the AFLs best onfield leader currently. Perhaps Hayes was the middle man between Voss' and Selwood's time in the great onfield spiritual midfield leader.

West imo should be compared to Sam Mitchell or Matt Priddis as their playing styles are similar being the ultra-consistent, prolific, high handball ratio extractor type. Perhaps if he kicked a few more goals he may have won a Brownlow.

Back