Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess Fanta is back training and Rocky got too close to the bone on occasion.

Perhaps Elon Musk could buy the Club and reintroduce free speech...
A better idea, maybe Elon Musk could buy the club and send Hinkley, Bassett & Koch on a one way rocket trip to the edge of space.

Expecting a flurry of activity in the coming weeks in relation to AFLW team signings, so will keep up with a thread here.

Erin Phillips
Ange Foley

interesting how the graphics around our AFLW team has turned from teal blue, to blue skies blue.

1651208075095.png

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That Port is gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
And I have nothing to say, 'cause I remember

Three goals scored by Port
2004 still gleaming
I can't recognise the sport
But it never stopped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those "Oh, so nears" wear you down through the years
But I still see that missed goal by Moore and when we couldn't score
Hartlett's deliberate call, and Shuey ducking

Three goals scored by Port
2004 still gleaming
I can't recognise the sport
But it never stopped me dreaming

It's coming home, it's coming
Football's coming home
It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming
Football's coming home
(England have done it)
Football's coming home
Football's coming home
Sonnet, soliloquy, song or just the musings of a punch drunk skald?

interesting how the graphics around our AFLW team has turned from teal blue, to blue skies blue.

View attachment 1386805

"Don't ascribe to strategy that which can be easily explained by lack of experience in colour management across different mediums"

Bomber's Third Law of Incompetence.

"Don't ascribe to strategy that which can be easily explained by lack of experience in colour management across different mediums"

Bomber's Third Law of Incompetence.
Laws of science dont get broken, laws of man do, and are often changed.

The use of a lighter blue colour around our AFLW team looks deliberate, as the colour use around the men's team hasnt changed at all, over the last month or so compared to the announcements and promotions around our AFLW team.

I think you two are tripping. It’s the same blue. The lighter background is just a stipple of the teal, not a different colour.

The inconsistency of our marketing across various production methods and mediums is terrible and the worst it’s ever been.

I think you two are tripping. It’s the same blue. The lighter background is just a stipple of the teal, not a different colour.

The inconsistency of our marketing across various production methods and mediums is terrible and the worst it’s ever been.
Bomber, with your expertise in this field and reasonable links within the PAFC, are you aware of any attempt by the club to seek external advice or input on any prospective designs?

An appealing image can have a positive impact in the commercial world, especially in attracting new members.

It’s literally the SKY in the background, BC…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomber, with your expertise in this field and reasonable links within the PAFC, are you aware of any attempt by the club to seek external advice or input on any prospective designs?

An appealing image can have a positive impact in the commercial world, especially in attracting new members.

I’ll give this a more detailed response tomorrow but yes they do occasionally work with external creatives with occasional good results. This years stuff looks to me like it’s done in-house by inexperienced designers being directed by non-designers.

IMO they need to revise their approach to the use of teal and not just sticking to the same Pantone code for every production method*. It’s frustrating that we have a particular blue on our guernsey but we don’t seem to use that same blue in our marketing. It’s much brighter and not as ‘dirty’.

*The reason this isn’t the best method is that the Pantone Matching System (PMS) is notoriously inconsistent across different production methods. An inexperienced designer will not know this and think that just by selecting PMS 309 then everything will be a ok. It won’t. Particularly with this colour.

I’d be recommending conducting some tests to find custom HEX, RGB, and CMYK formulas to visually match the blue of the guernsey and then finding the closest PMS to match for the very rare occasion you need to print with a single ink.

These days, HEX is the best control system for accurate and consistent colour management for branding.

Last edited:
It’s literally the SKY in the background, BC…

It literally isn’t. It’s a halftone image of the sky made using the teal colour.

I’ll give this a more detailed response tomorrow but yes they do occasionally work with external creatives with occasional good results. This years stuff looks to me like it’s done in-house by inexperienced designers being directed by non-designers.

IMO they need to revise their approach to the use of teal and not just sticking to the same Pantone code for every production method. It’s frustrating that we have a particular blue on our guernsey but we don’t seem to use that same blue in our marketing. It’s much brighter and not as ‘dirty’.

Greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It literally isn’t. It’s a halftone image of the sky made using the teal colour.

Ok. We have concurred that the club is using the image of a sunny-day sky for its women’s team public profiles.

The club colours are, in order: black, white, TEAL, and silver. There’s no disagreement on that either. [I personally preferred that it was only black and white, but apparently (and surprisingly!) I’m in the minority. Still, I digress.]

However, the issue isn’t the colour itself, but the symbol chosen. With which colour a sunny-day sky is most linked? This is relevant, because it conditions our senses.

One can paint a sky with blue-ish teal, of course. That may be the case, as you have pointed out. Yet, because the sky is associated with sky blue, most people will “see” it as sky blue; not, as teal.

Isn’t this true? If so, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that people may think our AFLW team has picked sky blue as one of its colours — just like RussellEbertHandball did.

At the very least, considering the club as a whole, this points out that Port would be deliberately moving away from the green shades of teal and towards the blue ones.

Ok. We have concurred that the club is using the image of a sunny-day sky for its women’s team public profiles.

The club colours are, in order: black, white, TEAL, and silver. There’s no disagreement on that either. [I personally preferred that it was only black and white, but apparently (and surprisingly!) I’m in the minority. Still, I digress.]

However, the issue isn’t the colour itself, but the symbol chosen. With which colour a sunny-day sky is most linked? This is relevant, because it conditions our senses.

One can paint a sky with blue-ish teal, of course. That may be the case, as you have pointed out. Yet, because the sky is associated with sky blue, most people will “see” it as sky blue; not, as teal.

Isn’t this true? If so, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that people may think our AFLW team has picked sky blue as one of its colours — just like RussellEbertHandball did.

At the very least, considering the club as a whole, this points out that Port would be deliberately moving away from the green shades of teal and towards the blue ones.

I’ve read this a few times and I still can’t work out what it is you’re actually arguing.

IMO they need to revise their approach to the use of teal and not just sticking to the same Pantone code for every production method*. It’s frustrating that we have a particular blue on our guernsey but we don’t seem to use that same blue in our marketing. It’s much brighter and not as ‘dirty’.

*The reason this isn’t the best method is that the Pantone Matching System (PMS) is notoriously inconsistent across different production methods. An inexperienced designer will not know this and think that just by selecting PMS 309 then everything will be a ok. It won’t. Particularly with this colour.

I’d be recommending conducting some tests to find custom HEX, RGB, and CMYK formulas to visually match the blue of the guernsey and then finding the closest PMS to match for the very rare occasion you need to print with a single ink.

These days, HEX is the best control system for accurate and consistent colour management for branding.
Appreciated Bomber and confess to a little googling to check HEX etc.

From the outside looking in, it's seems odd the PAFC doesn't seek out and utilise the expertise of many of it's members. I mean that in a commercial sense and not expecting freebies.

Appreciated Bomber and confess to a little googling to check HEX etc.

From the outside looking in, it's seems odd the PAFC doesn't seek out and utilise the expertise of many of it's members. I mean that in a commercial sense and not expecting freebies.

They did in the past. Even had a couple of board members who owned local agencies. Recently it seems to be either internal marketing team or outsourced to a local (Port Adelaide based) design studio that had personal connections to KT.

Why did Will Snelling leave? I cant remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back