Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a little scary to think what would have happened if Jack didnt come back and sort out those positional moves.....I reckon we would have struggled for a flag between 88 & 90 if we were still rotating Phillips & Leslie between CHB & CHF, and continuing to use Hodges as a flanker.

Geoff Phelps or Paul Stringer could have become FF :eek:

Jack played Gus Stringer up forward with Scott for a while. He kicked a few goals early on then faded while Scott went from strength to strength.

One of Jack's strengths was finding a spot for players who were fair to okay in one position then excelled in another. Among them were:

Max James -> full forward -> full back -> on ball
Greg Phillips ->CHF -> CHB
Ivan Eckermann -> HFF -> back pocket
Trevor Sorrell -> HFF -> full back
Carl Fragomeni -> wing -> back pocket
Roger Delaney -> full forward -> full back
George Fiacchi -> rover ->back pocket
Paul Rizonico ->HFF -> back pocket

I think I've told the story a couple of times but anyway ... Jack watched Tim who came to Port as a CHB, slotting goals at training and was impressed by his accuracy. Played him at full forward in a mid week Datsun Cup game against the bays and Tim kicked 3.4. But his accuracy improved.

Jack played Tim alongside Randall Gerlach and they kicked 16 between them first time out v West. Randall kicked 11 and Tim 5. Anyway it didnt really click again as both played like full forwards.

Randall was the incumbent and held the spot, kicked 90 goals in 1976. As Randall's condition worsened in 1977 Tim took over at full forward. Tim kicked 7 in the grand final and Randall played a heroic game as second ruck resting in the back pocket then retired.

Tell it again pop tell it again????

Oh please pop.

Yeah it was strange we let him go so easily

He was a dime-a-dozen, sucky medium forward on the rookie list who was making negligible impact at SANFL level.

Only Nostradamus could've foreseen his transition to excellent defender a few years later.

Tell it again pop tell it again????

Oh please pop.

It is a bit like that, we need to get Ford and REH up on stage so we can fire random questions at them about PAFC history!

Jack played Gus Stringer up forward with Scott for a while. He kicked a few goals early on then faded while Scott went from strength to strength.

One of Jack's strengths was finding a spot for players who were fair to okay in one position then excelled in another. Among them were:

Ivan Eckermann

In his autobiography, Lethal, Leigh Matthews recounts how Port Adelaide defender Ivan Eckermann was the only opponent who ever ‘put him to sleep’ during the course of his illustrious 17-season top level football career. The incident in question occurred just after half time of the state of origin match between South Australia and Victoria at Football Park in 1982 - which, quite ironically, was the only interstate appearance of Eckermann’s career. “The ball was kicked towards our half forward flank and I can remember doing the logical thing and going after it from the forward pocket,” Matthews recalled. “My next memory was being steered around the boundary line by a couple of trainers ....... For the only time in my career, I had ‘lost’ a few minutes.”¹

Although the incident was scarcely the highlight of Eckermann’s playing career - albeit that it may have been the nadir of Matthews’ - it is useful in highlighting the tough back pocket player’s approach to the game. Put simply, Eckermann was a footballer in the traditional Port Adelaide mould: rugged, gutsy, and relentlessly hard at both opponents and the ball. There was nothing flashy or elegant about his style, but it served him admirably throughout an 11-season, 150-game league career that ran from 1974 to 1983, and included participation in the premiership teams of 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1981. Recruited from Blyth, Eckermann never came within spitting distance of claiming a best and fairest award, but his value to the club was nevertheless considerable, and there can be no doubt that he left his mark on the game - just ask Leigh Matthews

Delaney would have gone alright at FF, don't reckon he would've missed many. Scotty and tylor were ok I guess.

Can't find the right Daniel Motlop thread so will stick this here. I've just watched a story on Landline on native green ants an how Daniel and brother Shannon catch them and other wild game for their family company Something Wild. Green ants are used in Gin by a couple of Adelaide Gin producers, its sprinkled on top and that adds a lot of citrus flavour and an acidic zing. They sell them or $650/kg but that is about 30,000 ants. Some Adelaide Hills cheese maker makes goats cheese with lemon myrtle and the green ants and it sells for $350/kg. She recently won some super gold medal award at the World Cheese Awards. Looks like for part of year you will find Daniel at the Something Wild store in the Central Market.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/green-ants-give-aussie-gin-extra-bite/8277414

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking about ants, this story about Ozzy Osbourne is rumoured to be true, although not by the man himself.....

"On tour with Mötley Crüe in 1984, Ozzy asked Nikki Sixx for a line of cocaine. Hearing he had none, he marched towards a line of ants, brandishing a straw, and snorted the hapless insects up his nose. “From that moment on,” admits Sixx, “we knew there was always someone who was sicker and more disgusting than we were.”
In an interview, Ozzy says he doesn't remember doing so.

Two Ozzy fans are also reputed to have died by snorting fire ants. This may or may not be true.

Team of the Century - HB Flank

Neville Hayes was a classical type of backman, described by Jeff Pash as a “player of all-round gifts who backs his judgement (to a hair-raising extent in this particular case) and plays his man at a distance”.¹ A dual best and fairest winner, Hayes played a total of 217 games with Port Adelaide between 1953 and 1965, mostly in the backlines, but frequently enough as a forward for him to amass 58 goals. He also represented South Australia 18 times.

His sometimes overly aggressive approach to the game often earned him the ire of opposition supporters, but he was enormously respected down Alberton way during what was a halcyon era - one of many, to be sure - in the club’s history.

To me, sounds like a stereotypical Port player!

Can't find the right Daniel Motlop thread so will stick this here. I've just watched a story on Landline on native green ants an how Daniel and brother Shannon catch them and other wild game for their family company Something Wild. Green ants are used in Gin by a couple of Adelaide Gin producers, its sprinkled on top and that adds a lot of citrus flavour and an acidic zing. They sell them or $650/kg but that is about 30,000 ants. Some Adelaide Hills cheese maker makes goats cheese with lemon myrtle and the green ants and it sells for $350/kg. She recently won some super gold medal award at the World Cheese Awards. Looks like for part of year you will find Daniel at the Something Wild store in the Central Market.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/green-ants-give-aussie-gin-extra-bite/8277414
Discussed a week or so ago in the Random Thoughts thread. :)

I read an interview in the NT news over xmas where Daniel mentioned something about a venture in the Adelaide Central Markets but didn't say what it was.

"Some Adelaide Hills cheese maker" is Kris Lloyd of Woodside Cheese Wrights.

Impey turns life around following off-season drama
PORT Adelaide ruckman Jackson Trengove has taken exciting small forward Jarman Impey under his wing to help get his life back on track.
Impey crashed into four cars and fled the scene after a drinking session with Power teammates in December.
The remorseful 21-year-old – who lost his father to cancer last year – has impressed during pre-season training and in the Power's opening JLT Community Series game against St Kilda last week.
"Since the driving incident, Jarman has really changed his life around," Power assistant coach Brendon Lade told AFL.com.au.
"He's living with Jackson Trengove and they're really close and doing a lot of things together.
More ...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-27/former-wild-child-trengove-takes-impey-under-his-wing

Impey turns life around following off-season drama
PORT Adelaide ruckman Jackson Trengove has taken exciting small forward Jarman Impey under his wing to help get his life back on track.
Impey crashed into four cars and fled the scene after a drinking session with Power teammates in December.
The remorseful 21-year-old – who lost his father to cancer last year – has impressed during pre-season training and in the Power's opening JLT Community Series game against St Kilda last week.
"Since the driving incident, Jarman has really changed his life around," Power assistant coach Brendon Lade told AFL.com.au.
"He's living with Jackson Trengove and they're really close and doing a lot of things together.
More ...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-27/former-wild-child-trengove-takes-impey-under-his-wing
Gotta admire Jacko and his partner for taking Impey in to live with them, especially with the new baby in their lives. Jacko exemplifies what true leadership is, both on and off the field. Will be good to see he and Impey excel this year.

I would have thought if anybody would have taken a young man dealing with the premature passing of his father under his wing, it would have been Boak
Pretty sure I heard Jacko promised Impey's dad he would take care of him. I reckon Boak could be dealing with his own demons, possibly even a bit of the black dog. He has really taken a back seat it seems for a while now.

I would have thought if anybody would have taken a young man dealing with the premature passing of his father under his wing, it would have been Boak
Yeah, let's find a negative in this good news story. :rolleyes:

It appears to me, from various stories I have read, that Jacko and Jarman have had a strong connection for some time. Just because Jacko hasn't, to my knowledge, lost his father to cancer doesn't mean he is not the ideal person to support Jarman.

My father died from cancer so maybe I'd be better suited.

Who says Boak isn't providing Impey with support in dealing with his grief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back