Liam Jones - when did he turn into Gary Ayres?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very unorthodox full back strategy today from LJizz.
Be absolutely nowhere near Lynch.

Boldstrategycotton.gif
If he is more than 15m away from him every time he marks, the goals cant count as being kicked on him.
1j8x99.jpg

Very unorthodox full back strategy today from LJizz.
Be absolutely nowhere near Lynch.

Boldstrategycotton.gif
Have to question the coaches, why are they telling him to stand off and intercept and leaving him opposed to Lynch when they could easily put someone else on lynch and let him have more freedom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s got too many roles with Docherty out.

I’ve watched all three games and I’ve progressively come to the conclusion that he’s trying to do too much and accordingly failing at everything. He has been in almost every defensive contest. Sure he’s botched plenty but it must be ******* exhausting.

Weitering needs to take hands off for the defensive release, Jones is cooked by the time he gets it and is dishing out turnovers when it comes time to reload.

Needs someone else to do some of the intercept marking, he’s coming in too late and too fast with no time to read the play.

While he’s looking for releases and intercepts he’s always two or three steps behind his man and even though he is great in a marking contest is arriving too late, particularly when the opposition forwards are getting good delivery and Carlton’s mids are getting beat. He’s thus not there when the marking contest occurs and is getting beaten by his direct opponent badly and they’re kicking lots of goals.

I feel for the bloke. He’s been stretched thin, Bolton needs to reduce his role and think of some way to deal with Doc’s absence as this clearly isn’t working and isn’t fair on Jones.

Played his best footy last year when he stood shoulder to shoulder with his opponent. We simplified the game for him and gave him one task per game.

Is now trying to play like Rance and create/zone off when he is clearly not that type. I'm not sure if that's due to him beleiving his own hype or instruction from the coaches. Hopefully the former, the latter would just be unforgivable.

I do feel like Carlton is going too tall in the backline, not just tonight, but against Richmond in particular too.
Yep. Our backline is a mess.

There’s no solution in the twos either. We have too many big defenders and are crying out for another Simpson or Docherty type.

Jones looked much better last year when he has Docherty there to support him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back