Life

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
So you're happy to laugh at the expense of others but not yourselves? One is done in good fun, the other is not. I'll let you decide which is which.

Now I love laughing at my own expense as do my mates, but that's following something to be laughed at, not just sitting around talking thinly veiled s**t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find when i do catch up with mates thay the chat simply isn't what it was in the glory days. Everyone has become a boring campaigner and the talk centres around work and life progression, rather than the riffing and ripping on each other that I found to be so enjoyable.

Haha I've got a few mates who do the same trade and sometimes they'll sit there for 15 mins and talk about their jobs. I dunno if it's intentional but * me dead. Phone out straight away and paying no attention.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
I tend to find I talk about different things with different groups of mates. Those in the city we tend to talk about careers, travel, ambitions and plans, nightlife. Those in the country the conversation is mostly sport, stories about dumb s**t and fishing. I enjoy both equally, though I find as I'm getting older I tend to get over the 'here and now' conversations if they last more than a few hours.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I tend to find I talk about different things with different groups of mates. Those in the city we tend to talk about careers, travel, ambitions and plans, nightlife. Those in the country the conversation is mostly sport, stories about dumb s**t and fishing. I enjoy both equally, though I find as I'm getting older I tend to get over the 'here and now' conversations if they last more than a few hours.
This you tend to bond over shared experiences and what you have in common. With work I tend to talk in general rather than specifics. While some will go right to the fine details about who did what. Those outside work basically just know where I work and not who with or what my days made up of.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Trying to make a career change is extremely difficult, I can see why young people without connections (most of which are parental) coming out of uni get so despondent.

Entry level jobs requiring 1+ years relevant experience in a similar field, the mind numbing application process where it feels like you have to repeat yourself several times and the general poor attitude of any person whom you ask a genuine question of.

I know that a majority of teachers are against kids becoming tradespeople (well they were in my school) but I would 100% be encouraging any child that shows an interest to pursue it. A lot of corporate Australia jobs seem like a race to the bottom.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Trying to make a career change is extremely difficult, I can see why young people without connections (most of which are parental) coming out of uni get so despondent.

Entry level jobs requiring 1+ years relevant experience in a similar field, the mind numbing application process where it feels like you have to repeat yourself several times and the general poor attitude of any person whom you ask a genuine question of.

I know that a majority of teachers are against kids becoming tradespeople (well they were in my school) but I would 100% be encouraging any child that shows an interest to pursue it. A lot of corporate Australia jobs seem like a race to the bottom.

Majority of teachers i know decided to become teachers at around the age of 25+ when they realised they needed a career - up to then had either been doing some other course, working in a cafe or waiting to find a husband to give her babies and not work again.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Trades are almost a no fail option in the country I reckon, and more supply of them should lead to more competitive rates, which leads to more business albeit with smaller percentages.

I reckon the percentages they currently get are generous enough a small decrease shouldn't end the world.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Trades are almost a no fail option in the country I reckon, and more supply of them should lead to more competitive rates, which leads to more business albeit with smaller percentages.

I reckon the percentages they currently get are generous enough a small decrease shouldn't end the world.

Agree, i would try and encourage a trade if thats what my kid was interested in. Have a good work ethic, you'll make money in a trade

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

This wasn't the case at my school and isn't the case with teachers I know now.

We had a good vocational program at my school and plenty of kids were encouraged to take up trades.

If it was me I'd just be encouraging kids to do something useful. Society doesn't need any more 70-80 ATAR students with marketing degrees.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Majority of teachers i know decided to become teachers at around the age of 25+ when they realised they needed a career - up to then had either been doing some other course, working in a cafe or waiting to find a husband to give her babies and not work again.

That's a rather over-generalised, hyper-reactive & over-cynical outlook....Many Uni students go directly into a teachers course from the get-go nowadays....Both at Primary & Secondary level....One year bridging-courses & Diplomas have mostly become a thing of the past.

When I was at school during the 70's & early 80's, you made the choice between High-School & tech-school straight after Primary school was over.....If you chose tech school, then you more than likely became a tradesman, or blue-collar-worker….High-school was for mostly White-Collar pursuits.....That distinction was very apparent back then.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's a rather over-generalised, hyper-reactive & over-cynical outlook....Many Uni students go directly into a teachers course from the get-go nowadays....Both at Primary & Secondary level....One year bridging-courses & Diplomas have mostly become a thing of the past.

When I was at school during the 70's & early 80's, you made the choice between High-School & tech-school straight after Primary school was over.....If you chose tech school, then you more than likely became a tradesman, or blue-collar-worker….High-school was for mostly White-Collar pursuits.....That distinction was very apparent back then.

Did you not read the part - most of the teachers i know..........

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

EasIER when young but can be extremely difficult when older. Not easy to find a pathway or job but until there is a massive societal shift just have to keep going

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Teachers seem to come in two types: lifelong desire to educate youngsters, or back-up choice when your ATAR doesn't allow you to pick the career you want.

The latter type seem to end up teaching in the Western & northern suburbs State schools.....Cheque please.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Teachers seem to come in two types: lifelong desire to educate youngsters, or back-up choice when your ATAR doesn't allow you to pick the career you want.

Or start off in another career then switch to teaching for better work life balance.

School hours are 8am-3pm (ish, from memory) and you get 12 weeks off a year. A mate of mine teaches Phys Ed and needs very few non-contact hours. Don't know his exact salary but it would be somewhere $70-90k based years in the system.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Or start off in another career then switch to teaching for better work life balance.

School hours are 8am-3pm (ish, from memory) and you get 12 weeks off a year. A mate of mine teaches Phys Ed and needs very few non-contact hours. Don't know his exact salary but it would be somewhere $70-90k based years in the system.
Like slot of jobs these days but more so government jobs, women do well when they want a family. As you say, get a teacher job, after a couple of years earn $70k+ a year. Get pregnant and work every 2nd year you aren't pregnant at 3 days a week until your kids are school age. Obviously pay at 3/5 of the $70k but you get the drift.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I know a few teachers that moved to town and after a few years decided to get a mature aged apprenticeship.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It's not easy to get in to trades in my experience, it's very much what you know and who you know.

As a guy that grew up without a father around to give me a bit of prior handyman learning, I was at a big disadvantage in applying for apprenticeships at the start. Add to that, I stopped playing footy at 18.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's not easy to get in to trades in my experience, it's very much what you know and who you know.

As a guy that grew up without a father around to give me a bit of prior handyman learning, I was at a big disadvantage in applying for apprenticeships at the start. Add to that, I stopped playing footy at 18.
The good thing is that most decent tradies don't really care if you can hold a hammer. If you can labour without complaining and have somewhat of an aptitude you'll be tought. Kicker for most adult tradespeople is they don't really like having to do all the shitkicker jobs and fetch morning smoko.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The good thing is that most decent tradies don't really care if you can hold a hammer. If you can labour without complaining and have somewhat of an aptitude you'll be tought. Kicker for most adult tradespeople is they don't really like having to do all the shitkicker jobs and fetch morning smoko.

Independent tradies maybe not, but bigger building business and company trades (mining, health service, etc) do.

Back