Autopsy Liked, Learned, Hated - Round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Learnt Richmond supporters are spoilt brats and cant see how good they have it h
Liked: Some cracking contests, namely Tigers Eagles, Lions Cats, Blues Saints (in that order).

Learned: Both Tigers and Eagles have some serious ticker. The tigers for being able to fight their way back into the match and the eagles for fighting back both times in the last. Would love to see these 2 teams in a GF with NicNat and Cotch/Nank all playing.

Pies hanging around. Slipping under the radar, looks like they're getting their gamestyle back. Don't think they deserve to be top 4 over us but could definitely do some damage (along with the Dogs) come finals.

Hated: Studs up and anyone saying that the ruling live was correct. Seriously, if you put a player from your own team instead of Riewoldt, you'd also be losing your s**t that both frees were paid against him. There's one thing about taking dangerous actions out of the game like bumps to the head off the ball, but this is entirely different.
Look I agree with the studs up thing in a sense. But I think it opens it up to defenders just getting pushed out at every marking contest. And then they will just end up playing from behind and we wont see any screamers.

Liked
Seriously good round of football. How often does, not just one but two, much hyped games live up to expectation? Hopefully the finals serious involving all 8 teams throw up more games like these two.
Loved Roughy and his send off - does he play this week now?
Carlton v Saints was a great game - the future looks bright for both teams

Learned
Talking of youth on show - the Doggies are streaming home and will make the finals series even more exciting. I hope we don't face them
The AFL can actually make sensible decisions from time to time - the studs up rule was never meant to stop player flying in marking contests.
Collingwood are not finished yet - they could surprise everyone and still steal the show
Essendon's form confuses me and must frustrate their supporters

Hated
Gold Coast are a seriously bad team. I hope they can turn it around soon
Adelaide and Port have fell away badly
Melbourne is an enigma. Was it all luck they made it so far in 2018? Was it grit and mental determination? Whatever it was it's gone and the Dees need to find it again...soon!
The Giants are missing something. I think its a team first culture. There are too many 'stars' who want to win the game by themselves but forget to do the little things when it matters.

Look I agree with the studs up thing in a sense. But I think it opens it up to defenders just getting pushed out at every marking contest. And then they will just end up playing from behind and we wont see any screamers.
Did that happen last year or the year or any year in the past when it wasn't a rule?
Why would it happen now?

Did that happen last year or the year or any year in the past when it wasn't a rule?
Why would it happen now?
Because I believe that it would of been classed as a push out of the contest before but I think after the weekend players will start doing it more and more.

Because I believe that it would of been classed as a push out of the contest before but I think after the weekend players will start doing it more and more.
What jack did, twice, on the weekend has been going on as long as I can remember (over 30 years) in all levels of competition.

The way Toby Greene used it was an outlier and if you can’t distinguish the difference between those actions, I doubt I can change your mind.

What jack did, twice, on the weekend has been going on as long as I can remember (over 30 years) in all levels of competition.

The way Toby Greene used it was an outlier and if you can’t distinguish the difference between those actions, I doubt I can change your mind.
Will see how it plays out looked more of a push than just a leap looking for leverage

either way, he caught him high - should have been paid as such.
It was paid as such (high, that is). The adjudicating umpire did the right thing in that situation. The real issue IMO is that after the game, Greene (by memory) got a fine rather than facing any suspension for effectively kicking someone in the head. Tribunal / whatever are just terrible, really.

Will see how it plays out looked more of a push than just a leap looking for leverage

It's fine to do that though. If we were being completely literal about the rules, a regular speccie is contact above the shoulders so it should be a free against.

Ultimately if you fly for a mark in a marking contest, those rules don't apply if you take it. If we deemed that a push, so would be Lincoln McCarthy's match winning mark as it pushed his opponent out of the contest.

The way I see it, Toby Greene was an example of studs up front on and in general play. It's a completely different thing to using your legs to protect your space in a marking contest.

It's fine to do that though. If we were being completely literal about the rules, a regular speccie is contact above the shoulders so it should be a free against.

Ultimately if you fly for a mark in a marking contest, those rules don't apply if you take it. If we deemed that a push, so would be Lincoln McCarthy's match winning mark as it pushed his opponent out of the contest.

The way I see it, Toby Greene was an example of studs up front on and in general play. It's a completely different thing to using your legs to protect your space in a marking contest.
I was doing it at training last night jump up push with leg take mark my team mates were not happy haha Now to do it on game day and see if I get away with it.

I think what most are unhappy about is that a high profile player/ club has a whinge about a free kick that was correct at the time, then the AFL change the rule!

Kennedy got done for studs up about a month ago, was much more subtle than Jack’s, not one thing said. West Coast nor Kennedy mentioned this again, all ok. But do it to a Richmond player and rules are changed!

This is exactly what is wrong with the AFL. I am so sick of their “quirks”.

Oh and Jack did this three times last week. The third time resulted in Sheppard coming off the ground to have treatment for a wound on his knee.

I think what most are unhappy about is that a high profile player/ club has a whinge about a free kick that was correct at the time, then the AFL change the rule!

Kennedy got done for studs up about a month ago, was much more subtle than Jack’s, not one thing said. West Coast nor Kennedy mentioned this again, all ok. But do it to a Richmond player and rules are changed!

This is exactly what is wrong with the AFL. I am so sick of their “quirks”.

Oh and Jack did this three times last week. The third time resulted in Sheppard coming off the ground to have treatment for a wound on his knee.
I didn't see the Kennedy one a month ago, but if it was 'more subtle', as you say, then I think the club should have questioned it.
It wasn't just Richmond complaining about this either.

It didn't help us by changing the rules after the fact.
And it was a low-profile club (GWS) that caused the initial change in rules in the first place.

Liked: Top 4 match up delivering on hype, Swans youngsters continuing to develop
Learned: Draw a line through GWS they are gone Week 1 of the finals.
Hated: The continuing decline in umpiring. Are the powers that be just making the game too complicated to officiate, or are the Umpires just not up to it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back