Lions are pushing for longer rookie contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

McCarthy was a single example. He also fronted up to preseason training and was intending to play the year out with GWS. He may have sat out the year but that wasn't his intent until pretty late in the piece.

McCarthy was a single example. He also fronted up to preseason training and was intending to play the year out with GWS. He may have sat out the year but that wasn't his intent until pretty late in the piece.

But he has shown what can happen when a kid asks to be traded and the club refuses. Once the door is open its a dangerous precedent thats set for other players.

Something about this generation in particular I think.

Not sure what this will accomplish though. The whole McCarthy fiasco just shows kids are willing to sit out an entire season of their career if it means they'll get home.

So two years or three, if a kid decides hes had enough he just digs his heels in, refuses to play or even use the mental health get-out-of-jail card and then they get traded.

The past few years have shown Contracts are not worth the paper they are signed on. Hell, Hanley is still contracted for a few years but has asked to leave and we are letting him.
Nothing can 100% fix the system, but it puts a little of the power back in the hands of the club.
Not all kids are going to have the nerve to sit out a season. The smart move is to continue to play and to improve your value.

Did he also forgo the year's salary - is being drafted like signing an employment contract and are their penalties attached to non-performance of duties etc?

Did he also forgo the year's salary - is being drafted like signing an employment contract and are their penalties attached to non-performance of duties etc?

He didn't, though GWS probably could've kicked up a stink if they chose to. It'd be pretty average PR for any club though.

He didn't, though GWS probably could've kicked up a stink if they chose to. It'd be pretty average PR for any club though.

I would not pay it. He is paid to play footy - no play, no pay.

As to the topic. First n second round - automatic 3 years.

I think the players need to be reminded just exactly holds the power here - no fans, no shiny contract worth $$$ and having to actually work a real job with a real wage (love to see some of these brats on my salary, they'd die within the month).

And fans (most of the time anyway) stick fat to their clubs. Learn to be loyal or lose the fans and the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The unfortunate thing here is that the genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going in any time soon. Once the AFL introduced free agency, we were headed towards more player movement. Then, once players realised that player movement was quite possible before they become free agents, the flood gates opened. Now, many players and managers see a contract as just a minor inconvenience.

And the clubs are alternately trying to attract contracted talent from other clubs and defend their current contracted talent from being lured away. Amidst all this will be the shuffling of draft picks and future draft picks and contracted players offered moves as part of 'mega-trades'. The breakdown of the tradition of club loyalty is well and truly underway. This is going to get worse before it gets better and I would imagine that every player manager is now plotting which of their players they can move, contracted or not.

I actually like the idea of giving the players more power. Screw it, just have it as open FA if they are off contract. But, same as USA sports, allow clubs to trade players. Give them all the freedom they want, but give it to the clubs as well.

Not sure why AFLPA would be against this... How many youngsters are drafted and spat out after 2 years? 3 years will give them extra time in the system, extra pay and also would help any that are unfortunate to get injured in their initial contract and delisted. I'm sure it does inhibit player movement but how many do move after their initial draft contract Vs. how many are delisted and never heard of again after 2 years? Surely they can see it benefits the greater population to increase to 3 year draft contracts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back