Lions stuffed up by not picking Beams? Fair shake of the ol' sauce bottle...

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This kid is a gem.

redden.png

Extrapolate.

Looks the goods. You were on to something with this one. Looks worthy after his first 3 games. :thumbsu:

I'm impressed with Redden from what I've seen, he looks pretty good. His first game wasnt the best, but his other 2 have been good:thumbsu:

One of the weird things though that comes to mind when I hear Reddens name is there is another J Redden that was drafted last year by Port, Same age, comes from around the same area that our Redden does and yet They arent related in anyway.

I was trying to work out who Redden reminds me of, he is a dead set clone of Dayne Beams, both boys play a very similar style of footy. Let's hope they go head to head this week.

Hats off to Graeme Hadley & the recruiting boys. This kid is a gun. Simon Black's love child. Same poise, same clean hands, same foot skills - everything. IMO he will be a player of the same caliber, and that is saying something. The succession is in place. We can build a flag winning midfield around him and Rich. Watch over the next few weeks because oppo teams will have to start thinking of him in their planning. RIP, TJ.

Hats off to Graeme Hadley & the recruiting boys. This kid is a gun. Simon Black's love child. Same poise, same clean hands, same foot skills - everything. IMO he will be a player of the same caliber, and that is saying something. The succession is in place. We can build a flag winning midfield around him and Rich. Watch over the next few weeks because oppo teams will have to start thinking of him in their planning. RIP, TJ.

Black and Power have 2 years left as fulltime mids. The next 2 years will present a window for us if Rich and Redden can continue to be influential players. That is why it is vital that in this years draft we find another mid who is able to make an impact straight away.

Redden's emergence has the potential to make a massive difference to Brisbane, given that Black has carried our midfield for at least the last few years.

You would think that Polks might also graduate to the midfield, so a group of Clark, Leuenberger, Black, Power, Brennan, Rich, Redden, Polks would have the potential to rival most, if not all, midfields in the league.

As for Beams, he looks like he will be a good long-term player for the Pies, but for mine (trying to put bias aside), I prefer Redden's extra height and speed.

Jack Redden reminds me of 2 people. Black and Notting. He will be a superstar one day and he knows where the big sticks are as well:thumbsu: Can't wait for him to put some weight on in the pre season. I think we found replacements for Black and Power. Rich and Redden. Hopefully Rockliff can replace Nigel Lappin, Polkinghorne has replaced McRae and Banfield can hopefully replace Aker!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant recruiting over the past few seasons to now have:

Redden Rich Polkinghorne Sheldon Proud*

May form a formidable midfield quintet for the next decade.

*Proud included, based soley on a 31 touch game I saw him play in a pre-season match against North at Visy Park 2 years ago. North had Harvey, Grant, Simpson in the centre that day and he toweleed them up. Has does nothing at AFL level yet :(

Yeah, agree Panthera.

Especially on Proud. I’ve had high hopes for Albert to be an important player that will add the missing hardness in the midfield for us but after last night, I’m not sure he'll make it. He just seems really slow for some reason and always makes the wrong decision, whether it's positioning himself or passing to teammates. Pretty much the exact opposite of a kid by the name of D. Rich.

I thought we stuffed up by not picking Robinson? Major stuff up that would haunt the Lions for years to come.
Oh well, Mr Hadley and recruiting team, you have my authority to keep on stuffing up.

Hey Irel, just out of interest, have you changed your mind on Polks yet?

FWIW, I can understand the basis for your scepticism about Polks last year, just wondering how you view him now.

he is gonna be an absolute gun and a half :D

was really worried about not picking beams

but now who the f*ck is beams???

and plus beams will probably end up at the gold coast anyway so even more reason reddan>>>>>>>beams

You would think that Polks might also graduate to the midfield

I hope not. I never like the idea of moving a small player from the back line or forward line into the middle just because they are playing their current role exceptionally well. On the odd occasion it might prove fruitful (ie: to mix it up during a particular game or to freshen-up the line-up over a couple of weeks), but I think it tends to undo the good work that has already been established.

For instance, although Adcock played some good football in the middle towards the end of 2007 after having played great football for a number of years in defense. I never thought he was suited to midfield role full-time and in 2008 he battled when moved there. When he was moved back to defense this year, he regained his better form.

Polkinghorne is providing a genuine headache for opposition teams. He's not just getting lucky down there with opportunist goals - he's actually beating his opponents in contests inside 50m as well as up along the flanks. Teams are going to be forced to pay him serious attention with a dedicated quality match-up, rather than thinking about having and extra player or two drop back on Brown.

At the end of the day, the forward line and back line need quality mid-sized and small players just as much as the midfield. This has been a significant issue for us over the last few years, so I'd be reluctant to see Polkinghorne moved when we seem to have got the balance right. After all, someone like C.Scott may well have played midfield for most of his career at many other clubs, but proved to be better used and more valuable to the team as a mid-sized defender.

Hey Irel, just out of interest, have you changed your mind on Polks yet?

FWIW, I can understand the basis for your scepticism about Polks last year, just wondering how you view him now.
I have no problems with admitting I made the wrong call there. I also said Spaanderman will be a gun. Which proves I should not be given the Brisbane Lions recruitment job when I apply next time it is available.:thumbsu:

I hope not. I never like the idea of moving a small player from the back line or forward line into the middle just because they are playing their current role exceptionally well. On the odd occasion it might prove fruitful (ie: to mix it up during a particular game or to freshen-up the line-up over a couple of weeks), but I think it tends to undo the good work that has already been established.

For instance, although Adcock played some good football in the middle towards the end of 2007 after having played great football for a number of years in defense. I never thought he was suited to midfield role full-time and in 2008 he battled when moved there. When he was moved back to defense this year, he regained his better form.

Polkinghorne is providing a genuine headache for opposition teams. He's not just getting lucky down there with opportunist goals - he's actually beating his opponents in contests inside 50m as well as up along the flanks. Teams are going to be forced to pay him serious attention with a dedicated quality match-up, rather than thinking about having and extra player or two drop back on Brown.

At the end of the day, the forward line and back line need quality mid-sized and small players just as much as the midfield. This has been a significant issue for us over the last few years, so I'd be reluctant to see Polkinghorne moved when we seem to have got the balance right. After all, someone like C.Scott may well have played midfield for most of his career at many other clubs, but proved to be better used and more valuable to the team as a mid-sized defender.

I agree - we have been crying out for a small forward who has Polks' marking and goal kicking ability with general footy smarts and so hard at the ball.

The midfield refurbishment is a work in progress that I think will be sorted without putting the likes of Polks and Rockliff in the mix.

I have no problems with admitting I made the wrong call there. I also said Spaanderman will be a gun. Which proves I should not be given the Brisbane Lions recruitment job when I apply next time it is available.:thumbsu:

If it makes you feel any better, I am sure you will see the words "Spaanderman" and "gun" in the same sentence again, but along with other words such as "convicted" and "armed robbery".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back