Preview Lions v Kangaroos Gather Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mention of his opponent Darcy Moore having his fewest disposals in a game he wasn't injured in since 2018?

Hippy did so much right. Beat Moore a number of times in marking contests but dropped mark after mark. It was a bad game due to skill errors, but through lack of effort.

We were literally 4 points off a flag with 2 talls up front , why in the gods sake would you even tinker with a winning formula?

Because team selection isn’t about picking the best team for the job, it’s about settling personal grudges, sending a message by punishing players for struggling with form/confidence and rewarding good VFL performances regardless of team balance.

If that means dropping every player over 192 cm to reward as many midfielders from the VFL team as possible, you bloody well do it. Otherwise the next Patrick Karnezis will walk straight out the door.

Oscar McInerney needs to pull his finger out. One mark in total, in his last four matches, including last Year's Grand Final is unacceptable.

Gardiner in, Fort out signals 3 tall fwds. Fagan wants to play like that right or wrong. That being the case, he's really wasted the opportunity to blood a young lad that's performing in Morris. No better time than now v North I think. For this game instead of trying to manufacture a fwd (Gardiner or Payne) out of a defender, I'd rather play a genuine fwd that's in form. Be brave, inject the enthusiasm a debutante brings to the whole team. Maybe there's little confidence in Payne and sending him fwd v North's defense he can't stuff up too bad.

Dev out for Tunstill. Only 1 centre bounce for Dev v Collingwood, hardly being used to his strength. Likely Tunstill will be used just as poorly. And the revolving door continues.

I don't think Berry has attended a centre bounce in any game yet. I'd like to see that change.

Just a bit of tinkering really. Hoping for a much better performance. A 4qtr, take no prisoners, Sun Tzu performance. I did say hope. Should win, 30 points at least.

Gardiner in, Fort out signals 3 tall fwds. Fagan wants to play like that right or wrong. That being the case, he's really wasted the opportunity to blood a young lad that's performing in Morris. No better time than now v North I think. For this game instead of trying to manufacture a fwd (Gardiner or Payne) out of a defender, I'd rather play a genuine fwd that's in form. Be brave, inject the enthusiasm a debutante brings to the whole team. Maybe there's little confidence in Payne and sending him fwd v North's defense he can't stuff up too bad.

Dev out for Tunstill. Only 1 centre bounce for Dev v Collingwood, hardly being used to his strength. Likely Tunstill will be used just as poorly. And the revolving door continues.

I don't think Berry has attended a centre bounce in any game yet. I'd like to see that change.

Just a bit of tinkering really. Hoping for a much better performance. A 4qtr, take no prisoners, Sun Tzu performance. I did say hope. Should win, 30 points at least.

Dev spent a LOT of time on the ball, but had no impact. His tackles were broken and barely impacted contests. He is a lot better than that game, but clearly needs time to get his form back.

Meanwhile Jimmy has played two excellent games in the VFL and has been rewarded for his effort.

Is this not what we wanted? Guys performing in the VFL given their opportunity to win a spot in the best 22?

Do you know what the word scapegoat means?

It's not as if Fagan has said "we're being beaten in the ruck, it's Forts fault!"
I do and I know that predictably it is always the same half dozen players that are omitted whilst the usual pets can consistently stink it up without reprise. Unless you can prove otherwise, I don’t see how you can say that Fagan doesn’t scapegoat the same players whilst giving passes and mulligans to the chosen few.

I don't think selection is any surprise or big deal.

Our 16 -25th best players can probably all do a job if in form. We're always going to pick Gardiner if he's available.

The frustration people seem to have on here is that players who they loved thinking were going to be superstars 3 or 4 years ago are just cogs in the wheel. And sometimes perform poorly.

And the expectations on one's who aren't getting a go is probably too high.

We're 0-3 and just needing to win a game. I don't know if we've made good choices or not. I just want us to find a bit of form and win and we can see who's available on the quick turnaround vs. Melbourne who seem to be going well

He literally dropped a lumbering ruckman and is going to play two talls.

Dizzy and Payne to play on North's key talls, Harris the loose man and Lester the speedy half back.
I hope you are right.

Because team selection isn’t about picking the best team for the job, it’s about settling personal grudges, sending a message by punishing players for struggling with form/confidence and rewarding good VFL performances regardless of team balance.

If that means dropping every player over 192 cm to reward as many midfielders from the VFL team as possible, you bloody well do it. Otherwise the next Patrick Karnezis will walk straight out the door.
I love it when you talk dirty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the actual stat is but we have been really poor at ground ball gets in our forward line. Really need to tidy that up.

Too many players flying for the same contest and not enough front and centre. Given how much footy the forward group has played together and their experience levels that stat is inexcusable. Especially considering how often we are going inside 50.

If we can’t fix that very basic area of the game up then we will continue to get punished.

Dev spent a LOT of time on the ball, but had no impact. His tackles were broken and barely impacted contests. He is a lot better than that game, but clearly needs time to get his form back.

Meanwhile Jimmy has played two excellent games in the VFL and has been rewarded for his effort.

Is this not what we wanted? Guys performing in the VFL given their opportunity to win a spot in the best 22?
Fair play

Having just watched Demons v Crows, I feel genuinely concerned for our season. Crows sitting on 0-4 but were playing some frenetic, quality ball I worry we couldn't have matched. It sort of feels like we're playing 2023 footy and everyone else has stepped forward. I hope a solid performance against North ignites the team, but I think it'll need to be a solid 50+pt win to actually instill some confidence.

Having just watched Demons v Crows, I feel genuinely concerned for our season. Crows sitting on 0-4 but were playing some frenetic, quality ball I worry we couldn't have matched. It sort of feels like we're playing 2023 footy and everyone else has stepped forward. I hope a solid performance against North ignites the team, but I think it'll need to be a solid 50+pt win to actually instill some confidence.
We can’t play 2024 football. We have not adapted so far this season. Our system has barely changed in five years. It’s basic and works well when our contested ball is humming along nicely. If it’s not we aren’t great and get exposed big time.

But this year we are now suffering from carrying an out of form forward line. Every player is down on output with exception to maybe McCarthy.

Oscar McInerney needs to pull his finger out. One mark in total, in his last four matches, including last Year's Grand Final is unacceptable.

My money is on Oscar having a low grade persistent injury. We've seen the same pattern many times.

Might be a few in the same boat. Not bad enough for a straight omission, but at 90-95%, which is enough to lose matches.

I'm happy (tough now) to take this year as a week by week, can we win, instead of last year's home and away games are meh, only the last eight weeks count.
It's a reminder of how good we got.

Rest any players with injuries, get surgery in early and come back hungry as hell next year.

Ps - I will still lose my ** if we lose this weekend. There's reset, then there's catastrophe.

I'm happy (tough now) to take this year as a week by week, can we win, instead of last year's home and away games are meh, only the last eight weeks count.
It's a reminder of how good we got.

Rest any players with injuries, get surgery in early and come back hungry as hell next year.

Ps - I will still lose my ** if we lose this weekend. There's reset, then there's catastrophe.
No need to catastrophise it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back