Little Johnny a walking billboard

Remove this Banner Ad

When I first read this, I thought WHOAH, but as I hadn't seen the pictures, couldnt really comment. If the logo was a VODAPHONE track suit or whatever, fair enough, but if its a Wallabies top, I dont think its insensitive.

The only way to solve the problem would be we all wear little green siits, like China many years ago. That'd be a good thing!!!

OK I have calmed down after all the side stepping & red herrings that were thrown in by Howard supporters, so this is my reply.

Sporting clubs are PAID by sponsors to advertise their products, if they don't then the sponsor withdraws their support. I mightn't like all the Bombers sponsors, "Orange Phone co is one I don't like", but my team needs it, that has nothing to do with me saying the PM should not be promoting a company in opposition to one he is trying to destroy.

Hopefully the PM isn't paid to advertise Vodaphone.

There lies the difference, a politician outwardly advertising a company which he supposedly has got no interest in, as opposed to a sporting club who needs that sponsor to survive.

I know you are all going to bring up the rugby link again, but sorry, when he is trying to bring about the demise of one telecommunications company, while promoting one of it's opposition is a disgrace.

Please don't come back with "he didn't realise that by wearing it he was advertising vodaphone, just supporting the wallabies", because that is rubbish, he is the PM & he should be aware of what he wears & says.

Do you see the Leaders of other countries wearing merchandise advertising companies while being interviewed? I haven't.

Funnily enough I don't go out of my way to look for Logo's on other world leaders tracksuits but I'm sure they would be there.

The point is that it was the official tracksuit that did the advertising. The wallabies effected it not Howard, he had no choice other than not wear the Wallabies tracksuit, that of a natonal team.
Howard was promoting / supporting the Wallabies in the same way that if you were wearing a Dons tracksuit you would be supporting Essendon and wouldn't even gve the Orange Logo a second thought.
All Eagles tops say SGIO but many of us insure with other organisations and don't believe that the fact we wear them is a knock at any other insurer. In fact I must say that I mentally rub out shirt adverising and I think many others do too. I watch UK soccer a lot where huge Logo's are on shirts but I have to think hard of who they are as I block the logos out.

Perhaps if Telstra had sponsored the Wallabies you would have been happy. But then again, favouring one company over another....tut tut. And as for them evil borsturds (Tony Greig accent :D) naming a footy ground 'Optus oval'!!!!!!!! Thet MUST be Telstra haters :rolleyes:

And do we forget the billions of dollars invested and jobs created by Vodaphone, Hutchinson, Optus, OneTel etc, Are they all the enemy of the Mantis left wing faction?

Oh...and despite Essendon needing the money, in your opinion, perhaps Howard believes Rugby needs the support!

This thread should be renamed the Sore Loser Thread!:D

Or for those still at school, perhaps we should call it the sookie sookie la la thread.

Die Labor Die!!!!!!!!!!!:D

See You later Fatboy Kim...We dont need to praise you at all...like OTHERS do!

Originally posted by mantis
OK I have calmed down after all the side stepping & red herrings that were thrown in by Howard supporters, so this is my reply.

Sporting clubs are PAID by sponsors to advertise their products, if they don't then the sponsor withdraws their support. I mightn't like all the Bombers sponsors, "Orange Phone co is one I don't like", but my team needs it, that has nothing to do with me saying the PM should not be promoting a company in opposition to one he is trying to destroy.

Hopefully the PM isn't paid to advertise Vodaphone.

Speaking of red herrings, speculating on whether the PM is paid to advertise Vodafone is the biggest red herring on this thread.

Anyway, yes, sporting clubs do need sponsors, but you have IGNORED my point about Essendon. Essendon HAVE ALIGNED THEMSELVES WITH POLITICAL ISSUES. Either they are picking and choosing their issues, therefore they are not taking a stand on principle, rather they are cynically doing it as a public relations exercise. OR they take a stand on ALL ISSUES, which they are clearly not....and since they're not taking a stand on Orange and sacking their workers, they are putting money above principle and are lacking compassion.

So Mantis, a simple question. Why does Essendon take a principled stand on Aborignial Affairs and the environment, and yet they don't take one on Orange/Hutchinson and the sacking of their workers (many of whom, I'm sure are Essendon fans)?

It is NOT an issue for other AFL clubs because these clubs have not so blatantly aligned themselves with political issues as Essendon have done. And it is not a case of just Essendon. Politics and sporting clubs have always intermingled whether it's the sectarianism of Rangers and Celtic in Scotland, the pro-Franco Real Madrid, the Basque nationalism of FC Barcelona, the left leaning AS Roma vs the right wing Lazio, or the Ukranian politics that occur within the boardroom of Dynamo Kiev.

Mantis, you seem to speak so highly of principles, ethics, and compassion, and yet you have this blind spot when it is applied to those things you hold dear.....like the Essendon Football Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back