Lloyd Pope - Where is he at?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Was great to watch today. Pleasingly a few leggies beat the bat too. They're obviously not as dangerous as his wrong 'un at this stage but he's not the finished product at 18.

Hopefully Tom O'Connell gets a decent crack once his Year 12 exams have finished too. Would be great to see two young leggies ply their trade.

I was shitty at the time when we lost O'Connell but perhaps it's for the best if they both get regular Shield games.

It is tiring for us powerhouse states to prop up the minnows all the time but that's the cross we bear I guess.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Very solid start to his first class career. I’d give him this season in the Sheffield shield, let him ply his trade for a bit then see where he’s at in 12 months.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
The Pope of Hope.

Get on board; De-stigmatising Rangas into the bargain n all ..

Has a very nice wrong 'un, the actual leg break lacks a bit of venom but the whole package leaves batsmen guessing, at least for a spell or two.
More Mushtaq Ahmed than Stuart MacGill at this stage.

If the selectors back him in then I hope they're in for the long haul because this Lloyd is as delicious as those many-flavoured sugary soda bottles that used to be delivered to homes back in the day and probably account for at least some percentage of my tooth decay over the ensuing decades.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I wonder whether his leggie will develop further? I know, I know... enough with the Warne comparisons. Just let the kid bowl. But interesting from a technical standpoint:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6a7fb5d6-02ca-11e8-a2b0-4e5c7848ab02.png

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...pes-for-lloyd-pope-the-ginger-warne-x8lrl8sj5

Strikers have one more contract to give out. It will most likely be to him now.

Maybe. With Rashid Khan back it's unlikely that he'll get much of a go though, he may look for a team where he'd be guaranteed game time.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Didn’t ruin the greatest leg spinner in 140 years of test cricket.....

Not exactly the textbook point of comparison is it.

Thats my point. We didnt know that Warne was going to be the greatest if all time when he was picked. He had a handful of games and 2 years prior was playing junior football for St Kilda. Even played one reserves game. Pope like Warne can be anything.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
From behind the googly looks pickable given time for players to study him. No idea how it looks from front on which is obviously the important one.

Exciting sure but how much of it is a reflection of long term ability and how much is a reflection of him having a great shock ball that could be found out will be the question. Hopeful though

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
He's progressing very well and it's good to see that he hasn't been overawed by the Sheffield Shield.

That being said, quite a few of those wickets came down to bad shots rather than particularly good deliveries.

The observations that I made before about his bowling style still seem to stand.

Macgill's only seemed to work against the tail. Hogg's only seemed to be effective in one dayers.

Hogg was never a big turner of the ball and at any rate didn't have the mentality for Test cricket - he liked running through his variations, which while fine in ODI's doesn't cut it in the longer form.

Back