Lloyd Pope - Where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was patchy with his control.

Had 0/40 from his first 5 overs.

Then had a really good stretch, taking 5/54 for the rest of the day from about 15 overs.

Then 0/70 from 7 overs on Day 2.

Our use of him was TERRIBLE. Kept going back to the wicketless quicks and used Pope at the most difficult times - waiting until the batters were set. He took 2 wickets in the over before lunch then didn't bowl at all for the first HOUR after lunch. When he was finally re-introduced Marsh and Green were set and the game was in WA's pocket.

Then Day 2 we again didn't bowl him first up. Waited until Agar and Inglis were set and firing, then brought him on.

Was patchy with his control.

Had 0/40 from his first 5 overs.

Then had a really good stretch, taking 5/54 for the rest of the day from about 15 overs.

Then 0/70 from 7 overs on Day 2.

Our use of him was TERRIBLE. Kept going back to the wicketless quicks and used Pope at the most difficult times - waiting until the batters were set. He took 2 wickets in the over before lunch then didn't bowl at all for the first HOUR after lunch. When he was finally re-introduced Marsh and Green were set and the game was in WA's pocket.

Then Day 2 we again didn't bowl him first up. Waited until Agar and Inglis were set and firing, then brought him on.

This also sounds like he might struggle when batsmen really go after him.

This also sounds like he might struggle when batsmen really go after him.
Don't think it's that. He goes alright in white ball cricket

Think it's more that when your quicks contribute 0/320 then eventually the dam is going to burst and the spinner is going to get whacked, whoever it is

I'm ambivalent in that I genuinely have hardly watched him bowl and the most I've been able to glean from looking at him, is the realisation that he's Ashley Barty with red hair.

However I feel sorry for him already because he's going to suffer from the Great White Hope syndrome that every leg spinner has. He has taken a couple of bags of five in his young career so fair play to him. But he's a leg spinner. All of them will have days where they take a bag - they're the slow bowling equivalent of a Fidel Edwards type that bowls flat out and bowls full - they will have days out where they bag a heap, but they will get smashed to all parts in between times. It is risk/reward with most leggies that aren't Warne or Kumble.

The key for him is to keep improving. Continue to improve the consistency of his leg break, continue to improve his fielding, continue start to improve his batting. No cricketer is the finished product at 20 years of age, particularly wrist spinners.

Seems to have coped ok with a small bit of fame so far which is good. Has had a bit of success but also been exposed in some games and by some batsmen which is also good for him.

What's certain is that giving red ball games to Zampa and Andrews was doing absolutely nothing for South Australian or Australian cricket. A completely pointless exercise.

On Cullen Bailey. He's from a rich AF family. I remember a 'Cricket Show' special on him and he had a full blown cricket net, adjacent to the tennis court. Not on it, next to it! A tennis court and a net. After he 'retired' he served as an advisor to various Liberal MPs. Now he's got some corporate gig. Expect to see him going to for lib pre selection soon. w***er

On Cullen Bailey. He's from a rich AF family. I remember a 'Cricket Show' special on him and he had a full blown cricket net, adjacent to the tennis court. Not on it, next to it! A tennis court and a net. After he 'retired' he served as an advisor to various Liberal MPs. Now he's got some corporate gig. Expect to see him going to for lib pre selection soon. w***er
Why does that make him a w***er?

Cullen's actually a very nice guy. Always the gentleman and easy to speak with. He was always going to be a professional person, studied law, and if his cricket didn't work out well, too bad. As a junior, he appeared to have everything. An action very similar to Richie Benaud. Then people got to him, modified his action, and it didn't work out. The thing about leggies is they need bowling, a LOT of bowling, and this is where many of them don't develop.

Unless you are a Shane Warne and command a lot of bowling, quite often you hang around in the field, only getting a bowl when the quicks have failed. When Cullen was playing with SA, he had a season where he was perennial 12th man, for something like 7 matches in a row. They had a rule if someone was 12th man and the match was in Adelaide, you could drop them back to their grade clubs. Every time this happened, his club Sturt was batting, and he went for something like 2 months where he didn't bowl a single ball in match conditions.

His bowling suffered but his batting improved. He went to Glenelg because the strong Sturt pace attack meant he was hardly getting a bowl. Having not seen Cullen bowl for quite awhile, I went out to practice one night and watched in horror as the young Cullen I saw had lost his action, and instead of pushing through the crease and looping the ball, he was just going through the motions, pretty much just landing on the crease and tossing the ball up rather than looping it. He went on to captain Glenelg to a premiership as an opening batsman who rarely bowled.

As I said though, he always had a back up plan in the event his cricket never worked out. I imagine he wouldn't miss cricket in the least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm ambivalent in that I genuinely have hardly watched him bowl and the most I've been able to glean from looking at him, is the realisation that he's Ashley Barty with red hair.

However I feel sorry for him already because he's going to suffer from the Great White Hope syndrome that every leg spinner has. He has taken a couple of bags of five in his young career so fair play to him. But he's a leg spinner. All of them will have days where they take a bag - they're the slow bowling equivalent of a Fidel Edwards type that bowls flat out and bowls full - they will have days out where they bag a heap, but they will get smashed to all parts in between times. It is risk/reward with most leggies that aren't Warne or Kumble.

The ironic thing about all the focus on Lloyd Pope (which I've admittedly added to), is that another legspinner in Mitch Swepson has actually gone under the radar as a result.

Beforehand I didn't rate him that highly because he bowled far too many full tosses, but his control has improved substantially in recent times (still overpitches at times though TBH), his stock ball dips and spins a reasonable amount and his googly seems to be fairly good. Not that I'd rush him in the side to replace Lyon, but I don't think he'd disgrace himself in Test cricket (provided that he's captained properly, which doesn't always happen because wristspinners are comparatively rare and it is usually a high-risk profession).

The ironic thing about all the focus on Lloyd Pope (which I've admittedly added to), is that another legspinner in Mitch Swepson has actually gone under the radar as a result.

Beforehand I didn't rate him that highly because he bowled far too many full tosses, but his control has improved substantially in recent times (still overpitches at times though TBH), his stock ball dips and spins a reasonable amount and his googly seems to be fairly good. Not that I'd rush him in the side to replace Lyon, but I don't think he'd disgrace himself in Test cricket (provided that he's captained properly, which doesn't always happen because wristspinners are comparatively rare and it is usually a high-risk profession).
Would love to see Swepson get a chance as second spinner in a test

I'm over watching us roll out these left arm finger spinners who don't turn it a millimetre except on a dustbowl

Just watching some footage of Pope, does anyone have an idea how quick he bowls? Looks like a very fast action and his bowling arm is very upright.

Also one for the bowling experts, is he going to be more of a Kumble (i.e over spin) or Warne (leg spin), or something else i.e Yasir Shah.

Keep tossing it up...his time will come

not helping with SA weak batting line up atm...when he gets something to bowl with will take the pressure off

needs to improve his fielding and batting

He’s in good hands with Dizzy.

Gillespie was a very skilful quick and a very good coach by all accounts. Ishant definitely improved after his stint with Gillespie.

However, I'm a less sure about his capacity to coach legspin. He was around Shane Warne for a long time and would have learned a few things about the mental side of spin bowling, like how to psyche a batsman out and set him up. It seems that Brad Young is the SA spin bowling coach. I understand that he was talented and could use flight well, but he was an SLA, not a wrist-spinner. I suppose he could teach Pope when to really give the ball a rip and when to fire it in flatter, like as a surprise change of pace. The best SLA's vary their flight and use angles on the crease to good effect, as Bishan Bedi used to. Having Pope change up his angle once in a while gives the batsman something to think about.

The kid is 20 ffs

The want and desperation for him to be good is completely unjustified. Would think people would recognize that a spinner playing shield cricket at 20 is recognition enough. To be taking wickets is a record in itself. Let's not chapperone him to the test scene just because (yet).

Where is he at? He's an inconsistent spinner who is prone to taking wickets in clumps and conceding runs.

Given his propensity to take wickets - i'm hoping he is persevered with. That leg spinning thing... not easy

I think the bowlers will be happy to get away from Karen Rolton Oval. What a featherbed. Redbacks vs Victoria is at Glenelg.

We still managed to lose a game outright there of course but for most teams taking 20 wickets there will be impossible.

The kid is 20 ffs

The want and desperation for him to be good is completely unjustified. Would think people would recognize that a spinner playing shield cricket at 20 is recognition enough. To be taking wickets is a record in itself. Let's not chapperone him to the test scene just because (yet).

I don't think anyone in their right mind is suggesting that.

If any legspinner will be chaperoned prematurely, it'd be Swepson.

Just watching some footage of Pope, does anyone have an idea how quick he bowls? Looks like a very fast action and his bowling arm is very upright.

Also one for the bowling experts, is he going to be more of a Kumble (i.e over spin) or Warne (leg spin), or something else i.e Yasir Shah.
I know they bowl with opposite arms but he feels like a Brad Hogg to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back