Autopsy Loved, Hated, Learnt - 2017 Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

someone on the Crows board said it best

"They paid 2x Hundred Dollar notes!"

"Yeah, but they got $85 change back, they didn't pay $200"

"Still 2x Hundred Dollar notes!"
Learnt: supporters can twist anything around to make themselves feel better about a trade.

Pick 10 plus a ton of Pick upgrades favoring Carlton is still far far more than Crows supporters ever expected they'll pay.

Loved:picking up all of Smith, Saad &Stringer :thumbsu:
Learned : Dodoro is a god, and it turns out, that maybe Essendon isn't really all that hard to deal with..:thumbsu:
Hated : that it took two weeks of the Dogs dicking around to land Stringer:mad::thumbsdown:

Essendon had a fantastic trade period - easily the best in my view. In terms of Dodoro though - much easier trading players in who nominate your club than trading players out (think Ryder, Crameri, Hibberd and Carlisle) - don't blame him for that though - clubs should push for the best deal for players leaving.

In my view before free agency players should not be allowed to dictate a club - if a club wants to recruit them and has offered them the best deal then they should offer up the best compensation to the club losing the player

Collingwood are adopting Richmond model -reappoint Coach - conduct a review - do nothing in trade. In my opinion Richmond have four A graders, the Pies don't! I think as a result they will finish bottom four in 2018.
Huh? Richmond let Vickery go, traded out Deledio, and traded in Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy.
Liked: Bullies, West Coast, Saints, Maggies, Freo all thumbing their noses at the so-called 'super draft'. Ba - hum bug.
Learned: Collingwood are happy with their list.
Hated: Tough one: The Lobbe deal was the first genuine cash-dump trade. Wasn't too happy about the Motlop fiasco - obviously an AFL gift. But the thing that cheesed me off was how easily confused I was. Hodge got to Bris, and I have no idea how. He wasn't a free agent (no effect on the Rockliff compensation) and he wasn't taken through the draft. Did he teleport and we were all so stunned at his use of futuristic technology that we forgot to ask? I'm still confused. #freekickbrisbane
He was traded for pretty much #73.

Huh? Richmond let Vickery go, traded out Deledio, and traded in Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy.
Proir to that Tiges did nothing for about two years
He was traded for pretty much #73.
But in 2017 we traded in Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis and traded out Deliedio. Hardly doing nothing?
I should have qualified - I was talking about previous years, when people claimed we sat on our hands, 2017 Trades were magnificent!

Loved: After 2 weeks the Bulldogs traded in Schache in the dying seconds.

Learned: No matter what year it is, next year's draft is ALWAYS a superdraft.

Hated: Saying goodbye to Jake Stringer

Last edited:
Learnt: supporters can twist anything around to make themselves feel better about a trade.

Pick 10 plus a ton of Pick upgrades favoring Carlton is still far far more than Crows supporters ever expected they'll pay.
And far, far less than was demanded. Both sets of fans seem pretty satisfied so I'd say it was a good trade.

Learnt: This year's draft isn't considered much chop by the clubs. Clubs are more willing to take a 'loss' to get what they want - and take the heat from fans for doing 'stupid' trades.

Liked: Some trades to get players that want to be there (GC), calculated trading of picks (Rich and Bris), overall a more thoughtfula nd pragmatic trade period. used to be just everyone trying to get some win/fair deal. Now some clubs look at things and just try ot get what they want, and leave how people evaluate the fairness to others.

Hated: Not much happened for ages. The AFL compo calculations are way beyond silly and even ridiculous - they are a bad joke.

Learnt: If you target contracted players, you will over pay.
The Vic clubs have a smorgasbord of talent to pick from, but also more competition for it. If you are a top 6 Vic club it is a lot easier to fill 2 or 3 holes in your list than a non Vic club.

Liked: If you push a player out of your club, clubs will get the player for unders.

Hated: The wait until the draft, surely you could have it this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved: Getting Ablett for a 5 pick downgrade. Geelong supports on the forum were bang on with what we'd pay for him.

Learned: There is an obvious bias/hate towards Geelongs success on this forum. Enough for effectively all other club posters to suggest a first rd pick and floating Duncans name. When clearly that was ridiculous. But the helpless thing is they actually believed Duncan to be reasonable as a result of their clear bias.

Hated: The draconian manner in which Gold Coast manage their club and players.

Loved: Getting Rockliff, Motlop, and Watts for Pick 31.

Learned: Carlton continue to feed the Crows good players who are likely to turn into stars. I'm expecting Gibbs to follow the trajectory of Jacobs and Betts. Stop it already.

Hated: Losing Jackson Trengove.

Loved: Getting Lever, Adelaide getting reamed by Carlton, Port's T&FA Period.
Hated: Folding so easily and overpaying for Lever, the amateur way Melbourne handled the Watts deal
Learnt: Skills don't matter only being "hard and tough" there's no room for skilled players in teams that lack skill.

So you actually mean..."Getting Lever, but not getting reamed by Adelaide in the process". Cool.

Oh FFS. We just made the GF. We're in a window. We will get a few good years out of him and hopefully jag a flag. If so, mission accomplished, and I couldn't give 2 shits if we gave up 5 first rounders for him. After your club's last 15 years, having 3 x number 1 picks and not even making finals, yet we consistently make finals and a GF this year, you have nothing to jump and shout about. We did what we had to do. We have A1 drafting and development history. We will be fine. Enjoy bottom 4..... again!

Proir to that Tiges did nothing for about two years
I should have qualified - I was talking about previous years, when people claimed we sat on our hands, 2017 Trades were magnificent!
You mean apart from trading their first rounder for Yarran and a picks swap trade?

How many people don't know their own team's trades?
Loved: Getting Ablett for a 5 pick downgrade. Geelong supports on the forum were bang on with what we'd pay for him.

Learned: There is an obvious bias/hate towards Geelongs success on this forum. Enough for effectively all other club posters to suggest a first rd pick and floating Duncans name. When clearly that was ridiculous. But the helpless thing is they actually believed Duncan to be reasonable as a result of their clear bias.

Hated: The draconian manner in which Gold Coast manage their club and players.
Huh? You paid a 5 pick downgrade and a 2018 second for Ablett and a 2018 fourth. That's not just a 5 pick downgrade.

How many people don't know their own team's trades?

Huh? You paid a 5 pick downgrade and a 2018 second for Ablett and a 2018 fourth. That's not just a 5 pick downgrade.

5 pick downgrade and pick 35

Loved: Lobbe (who used to be considered one of the very best rucks in the AFL) was traded for a pick in the 90s
The only shock was that we didn't GIVE a pick along with him.

Loved: players nominating my club and disco getting s**t done

Hated: stalling from the dogs and the lack of elite inside midfielders available

Learnt: surely adelaide take over our mantle as difficult to deal with

Got all the deals done that we and other parties wanted? Most people walked away happy from the sounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back