Lowest scoring opening round in 64 years

Remove this Banner Ad

This just makes far too much sense to ever be brought to reality.

I thought so as well, and I am loathed to admit Clarkson ever has a good idea. Still though, it would almost eliminate congestion as teams would want get it out of congestion as soon as possible, and if they can't then a free kick is going to be awarded pretty quickly, thus opening up the play again. Situations where you get stoppage after stoppage would be a thing of the past.

here's an idea gillon you stupid prick

leave the ******* game alone and let the coaches sort it out. if you end up with 4 years in a row of unwatchable dross and revenue falls down the toilet, THEN and ONLY THEN should you consider ******* around.

but that won't happen, so * off and go watch another polo match you rich overpaid w***er

I remember a thread ages ago in late 2013 when Buddy made his announcement where the admin allowed Hawthorn fans with "Buddy" in their username the chance to change their username. I think a lot of Hawthorn fans took up the offer.

Favouratism. What about all the Carlton fans with Sam Rowe in their user name?

The problem is the AFL had some good ideas last year that they wanted to try, but as soon as they announced them certain elements of the public had a temper tantrum and Gil did what he always does, he backed down, offering a compromise that changed the rules but no where near enough to actually help in any meaningful way.

Yes but because people now see the world hasn’t ended with these changes they can now go further

AFL extending the goal square has actually resulted in less scoring, there are less repeat entries and therefore lower chances of scoring . Low scores in the opening rounds proves this . So the rule change has worked in the opposite of its intention.

The game is now played on the wings . This has all occurred because there was a lack of evidence that this rule change would work , but they panicked due to lower ratings and did it anyway . All the afl needs to do to increase scoring is limit interchanges . It’s that simple .

They haven’t expanded the goalsquare though

The "lauded" 6-6-6 rule is only effective about 15 seconds after the ball is bounced in the middle after a goal.
Then it goes back to the typical flooding/rolling maul.

Hopefully this shuts up all the commentators trying to tell us how good the new rule is and how it will increase scoring.
But but but everything happening in the game is happening for the first time ever and it's because of these new and improved state of the art rules, the commentators keep telling me that is so.

Back to the drawing board rules committee!
No. The Bastardization of BigFooty is Justifiable

The bastardization of Ross Lyon has been taken to the extreme. These rules came in to Kill off Ross Lyon and his sexual harassment tactics. It backfired and the AFL will reap what they sow.

Just my opinion - but i would be interested to know what the average winning score for the last 3 years ( sinceGWS have been good ) at Spotless Stadium - which i think produces the best games to watch - because the ball goes from one end of the ground to the other quickly and directly . At that ground you dont seem to get the shocking short passing - little 15 metre kicks backwards and sideaways - you normally get an attractive game to watch - Ess were shocking today - but the game was still watchable - and pretty free flowing- which is consistent for that ground

Contrast that to the 1st half of the Coll v Geel - beyond shocking - slow motion and totally boring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were still mostly meaningless. The vague possibility of it affecting a draft position a tiny amount was not enough of a reason not to trial the new rules.

It’s a professional league, trialing rule changes in season is farcical.

I think the rule changes are actually good, although maybe that is a controversial opinion? It just didn’t change much, at least immediately. The Geelong Collingwood game last year was a dour low scoring struggle and this year was the same.

However there are less numbers around the ball, at least from what I saw. More one on ones. The game in general seems to be reasonably better to watch, apart from the rustiness and low skill areas, but that’s not the AFLS fault.

2 Rule Changes that wouldnt change the visual impact of the game at all but would make it alot better.

1. Reduce the interchange to 40 for a game. 10 per quarter means that injuries wont effect teams at all anymore an it means players will have to conserve their energy. Cant be sprinting up to every contest which means smarter players will run to where the ball will be rather than where it is

2. 16 on the field, Would also even up the competition by spreading more talent around. same thing again, you still gotta keep someone forward of the ball and someone back which would pull players away from congestion.

Also I like the clarkson rule suggestion, means teams will keep players on the outside of the contests so that you have targets clear in space.
Also means forwards might take more pings at goals from angles rather than piss around with handballs

Fremantle the only side not playing Ross Lyon football.

Perhaps this was his plan all along. Introduce 'manic defence', wait for it to spread, and once all teams are addicted to it, POUNCE!! The sexual harassment stuff and years of underperformance was just a smoke screen to distract the other clubs and media from what has really been going on. Freo's first flag incoming.

They haven’t expanded the goalsquare though
Yes they have. They haven’t painted it on the ground so they avoid the criticisim, but the mark now stands way further back, and the player kicking out doesn’t even have to kick to himself. He can run straight out and gain the extra 10m. The goalsquare now means literally nothing for kick ins. It’s only use is when you mark in there and get lined up straight in front.

I thought so as well, and I am loathed to admit Clarkson ever has a good idea. Still though, it would almost eliminate congestion as teams would want get it out of congestion as soon as possible, and if they can't then a free kick is going to be awarded pretty quickly, thus opening up the play again. Situations where you get stoppage after stoppage would be a thing of the past.

It's a horrible idea. it will result in three things.
Hack kick forwards at every opportunity making everyone look panicked and second rate.
The abolishment of one of the fundamental rules taught to juniors - 'First options'.
The whistle going all the bloody time because one thing that wont get worse are players ability to tackle, which is better than ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back