Your club's lowest point in history

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys almost merged with Fitzroy

True, although arguably there was no merger rather a takeover. Unfortunately there was always going to be a loser from the situation and Fitzroy left the league at the end of 96.

Coach sacked, CEO quit, captain requested a trade, brownlow medallist left, plus more. Turned out well in the end though, but definitely a dark time

2014 was not good, however on the flip side the club wasnt on the brink of financial ruin. In 1989 the deal was signed unbeknownst to the members, without the legal loophole enabling a member to lodge an appeal on the basis of the club board failing to notify members the Dogs would be no more.

Erm, I think the strategy was to avoid going over the salary cap and the ensuing consequences. What do you think the strategy was? To tear the heart out of the team, get the coach sacked, replaced by Craig McRae and rise back up the ladder to where they are now?

As you so eloquently pointed out yourself, revisionist history. You want to believe so strongly that Collingwood somehow ‘tripped’ into such a good position and you’re clutch at straws to justify your belief.

Why do you think they picked Treloar, Phillips and Stevenson? How have those 3 fared since?

You’re also being fairly dramatic about the fall out. A team that has had its heart ‘torn out’ wouldn’t be back to within 1 point of a GF within 24 months with those same group of players. Treloar was the publicised collateral damage, and people like you and the media will do anything to dramatise and sling mud.

Funnily, what you leave out is prior to that trade period, Collingwood had already dropped off from Grand Finalists to Prelim to barely scraping into the 8 (by half a game) then getting absolutely smashed by Geelong in a semi (100 to 32). They were heading downwards and you choose to place it on the back of that trade period as if Collingwood was somehow rampant in 2020 before that 2021 season.

There's a difference between making tough calls after finding yourself in unforeseen circumstances, and being consumed by a media fireball ignited by your own mismanagement. There are several giveaways as to which of those categories this falls into. The big one is that the list manager offered his resignation immediately afterwards.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. People can make tough calls and strategically set themselves up for success in terrible circumstances that is through prior mismanagement. That’s exactly what 2020 trade period was. Clubs like Collingwood have a history of doing just that, whether you like to hear that or not - get s**t right and turn it around quickly. That’s why we’re constantly up and contending more often than not.

With the Eagles suffering a 116 point loss to Hawthorn on the weekend and the footy media in Perth saying it's their lowest point in club history, what is your club's lowest point?

Mine was 2020 offseason-early 2021. The fire sale, Eddie resigns, losing Treloar, Stevo etc. Wasn't a good time for us at all.
I think the lowest point in our history was the judge years.

I didnt want to watch games as there didnt seem to be a future.

Right now we are rebuilding.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. People can make tough calls and strategically set themselves up for success in terrible circumstances that is through prior mismanagement. That’s exactly what 2020 trade period was. Clubs like Collingwood have a history of doing just that, whether you like to hear that or not - get s**t right and turn it around quickly. That’s why we’re constantly up and contending more often than not.
They are mutually exclusive. Either you create the mess and have to clean it up (as Ned Guy did with Dayne Beams), or you inherit a problem (as in a new coach or list manager).

Of course what happened was necessary, but you act as though it was inevitable. Ned Guy's strategy was flawed, and because of it had to cut loose a good player on big money. If you combine what was given in the Beams trade, with what was lost in the Treloar trade (never mind what you gave up to get Treloar in the first place), and currency of Stephenson at the time, it's ugly. You went from a finals team to bottom 4 immediately, and lost a good coach. The fact you found a better one and rebounded as well as you possibly could have, well, it's irrelevant everybody who was there at the time.

They are mutually exclusive. Either you create the mess and have to clean it up (as Ned Guy did with Dayne Beams), or you inherit a problem (as in a new coach or list manager).

Of course what happened was necessary, but you act as though it was inevitable. Ned Guy's strategy was flawed, and because of it had to cut loose a good player on big money. If you combine what was given in the Beams trade, with what was lost in the Treloar trade (never mind what you gave up to get Treloar in the first place), and currency of Stephenson at the time, it's ugly. You went from a finals team to bottom 4 immediately, and lost a good coach. The fact you found a better one and rebounded as well as you possibly could have, well, it's irrelevant everybody who was there at the time.
I’m guessing you’ll also be subscribing to this same theory if Collingwood win the flag this year after consecutive salary dumps of Treloar and Grundy?

Not strategised and planned but slipping over and ‘doing a perfect backflip’?

I’m guessing you’ll also be subscribing to this same theory if Collingwood win the flag this year after consecutive salary dumps of Treloar and Grundy?

Grundy wanted to/agreed to go, and you had the option to keep him if you needed to. Are the differences not obvious?

And no, I wouldn't change my opinion if the Pies win the flag this year. Why would I? What does it change about Ned Guy's actions at the time? Does it prove he's a genius? Your club made huge mistakes and while you might look back now and say "I wouldn't change anything", that's really quite a different matter than insisting that they were not huge mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy wanted to/agreed to go, and you had the option to keep him if you needed to. Are the differences not obvious?

Your revisionist history at its best again. Find me where he wanted to go. No different to Treloar in that it was fairly obvious he didn’t want to leave Collingwood but the club did what it had to in its own best interests.

Guaranteed if we’d dropped back down the ladder, your types would be scampering to say they’d ‘torn the heart’ out of the team yet again!

And no, I wouldn't change my opinion if the Pies win the flag this year. Why would I? What does it change about Ned Guy's actions at the time? Does it prove he's a genius? Your club made huge mistakes and while you might look back now and say "I wouldn't change anything", that's really quite a different matter than insisting that they were not huge mistakes.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing that Collingwood got itself into a mess with the Beams trade and subsequent salary cap issues.

I’m just disputing your claim that the 2020 trade period wasn’t meticulously planned by the club to get them into the position they’re currently in today.

Your revisionist history at its best again. Find me where he wanted to go. No different to Treloar in that it was fairly obvious he didn’t want to leave Collingwood but the club did what it had to in its own best interests.

Guaranteed if we’d dropped back down the ladder, your types would be scampering to say they’d ‘torn the heart’ out of the team yet again!

I don’t think we’re disagreeing that Collingwood got itself into a mess with the Beams trade and subsequent salary cap issues.

I’m just disputing your claim that the 2020 trade period wasn’t meticulously planned by the club to get them into the position they’re currently in today.
No different to the Treloar situation? That's outrageous. Grundy got pissed off but he left of his own accord. You pretty much changed the locks on Adam, and insulted him and his partner publicly on the way out by trying to deflect the blame onto them.

The big difference lies in this simple fact: Collingwood wanted to keep Adam Treloar. It was a public embarrassment that they had to push out a loved and valued player because Ned Guy couldn't do his job properly.

Grundy was no longer worth his salary, and Collingwood wanted him gone. Harsh, but they were left only two options, since good old NG signed him up to a seven year deal.

No different to the Treloar situation? That's outrageous. Grundy got pissed off but he left of his own accord. You pretty much changed the locks on Adam, and insulted him and his partner publicly on the way out by trying to deflect the blame onto them.

The big difference lies in this simple fact: Collingwood wanted to keep Adam Treloar. It was a public embarrassment that they had to push out a loved and valued player because Ned Guy couldn't do his job properly.

Grundy was no longer worth his salary, and Collingwood wanted him gone. Harsh, but they were left only two options, since good old NG signed him up to a seven year deal.
We keep going around in circles where you try passing off your opinion and views as facts. Let’s just agree to disagree.

Leigh Colbert walking out when Captian was pretty average.
Yeah I'd say that period: 1999-2001: our 24 year old freshly minted club captain wanting out, the deep financial poop we were in during the late 90s, culminated with the famous Round 22, 2001 game against Carlton, where we farewelled Buddha Hocking by scoring 0.7 in the final three quarters and Darren Milburn almost caused a riot.

Yeah I'd say that period: 1999-2001: our 24 year old freshly minted club captain wanting out, the deep financial poop we were in during the late 90s, culminated with the famous Round 22, 2001 game against Carlton, where we farewelled Buddha Hocking by scoring 0.7 in the final three quarters and Darren Milburn almost caused a riot.
Our last 2 games at Princes Park were very dark days. Round 2 2004 was really bad.

There was some hope after our young team made the final of the preseason cup. Then we were smashed by StKilda round 1 and go to PP to take on Carlton who were terrible (4 wins in 2003 and beaten easily by Freo in round 1). Beaten by 9 goals and the club looked a complete shambles. You could've written your own odds on us finishing top 4 and being a couple of goals from a grand final later that year.

9943b1b14d48945f8d67f9c72c0fe0bfb8580870.jpg

Once this abomination of a jumper was trotted out for the proposed merger it weaponized an already furious Footscray supporter group, and the rest is history.

What happens this year is irrelevant. It's capturing a moment in time, not looking at things with the benefit of hindsight. "Leigh Colbert demanding a trade was a blessing in disguise, Geelong got Mooney and Enright in the trade," "All the losses in 2004 were worth it in 2004 for Hawthorn, because that year's draft yielded Buddy, Roughead and Lewis", that sort of Captain Hindsight analysis isn't the point of this thread I'd argue.

And this is how Collingwood was looking as they headed into the 2021 preseason. Good on them for turning it round. I doubt they'll bring Ned Guy in for the premiership reunions if they continue on to the flag this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back