Roast Luke Ball Turnovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the way he plays as a Inside Midfielder how he can get the Contested Ball and Love His Tackling Pressure but His disposal has been a worry. Last Night I think he hit only 1 target and missed the rest or made the wrong Descion.

Except for the Blues game he has been a worry with his Disposal espically by Foot and Descion Making in Space.

He is not better then O'Bree in this Area and it hurts us when we are playing Zone if he Turnsover the Ball

Love the way he plays as a Inside Midfielder how he can get the Contested Ball and Love His Tackling Pressure but His disposal has been a worry. Last Night I think he hit only 1 target and missed the rest or made the wrong Descion.

Except for the Blues game he has been a worry with his Disposal espically by Foot and Descion Making in Space.

He is not better then O'Bree in this Area and it hurts us when we are playing Zone if he Turnsover the Ball

Geez Dave.:mad:

Did you just discover the roast button or something?

Sure Ball was errant. Find a player who wasn't, who had a disposal that is or played in the side.
Who do you want. O'Bree or Ball or no-one? Make up your mind.

I know this feeling. I get it all the time when Farren Ray stuffs up.

It's like "Did we really need to bring this guy in?" but then he will put his body on the line and you forget about it.

Just takes a while before you can trust the new boys or something like that.

He did stuff up a couple of kicks but so did most of our team

Most of his kicks are kick ones out of packs

All our midfielders just kick it long into the forward line
See, that is the problem.

We don't have anyone in our forward line that is reliable enough to take a mark when we bomb it down long, except for Travis Cloke yet he plays more up the ground and Medhurst who isn't in the side atm.

And even if we do bomb it down long and the opposition doesn't mark it, we don't have any crumbers. Dick and Davis out, Thomas and Dids tend to play in the middle.

He did stuff up a couple of kicks but so did most of our team

Most of his kicks are kick ones out of packs

All our midfielders just kick it long into the forward line

This. Johnson and Swan being the two biggest culprits this week.

Johnson gets to me the most as he is extremely outside, generally recieves the ball in space and has a habit of just making terrible decisions with execution as bad as the choice itself.

Swan is another who gets a hell of a lot of linking ball only to kick a mongrel ball in.

Our disposal in general hasn't been good enough the last two weeks, this week was particularly bad and whilst Ball isn't great in this regard he is certainly more excusable then some others.

Having said all that Ball's performance wasn't up to the standard we should be setting but he has been fantastic all year and can be excused this time.

See, that is the problem.

We don't have anyone in our forward line that is reliable enough to take a mark when we bomb it down long, except for Travis Cloke yet he plays more up the ground and Medhurst who isn't in the side atm.

And even if we do bomb it down long and the opposition doesn't mark it, we don't have any crumbers. Dick and Davis out, Thomas and Dids tend to play in the middle.

Good Point. Lack of Crumbers and Talls who are not very good with Long Bombs into the Forward 50. They Forwards need the Ball Out in Front of them

Johnson gets to me the most as he is extremely outside, generally recieves the ball in space and has a habit of just making terrible decisions with execution as bad as the choice itself.

Swan is another who gets a hell of a lot of linking ball only to kick a mongrel ball in.

Johnsons kicking other than the last two weeks has been very good and is far superior to Balls, if the last 2 games are an indication for the rest of the year then I'll be as annoyed as you but for now I'll give him the benefit due to his great form and good kicking.

Too often Swan just hacks it out and kicks as quick as possible when he has a bit of time. Its weird though even though he mongrels it a lot and is right up there in clangers for our team he still near the top in DE% and goal assists. So he has figured out a way to use the mongrel punt at least to the advantage of the team even if he isn't pin pointing passes.

Luke Balls kicking is pretty bad, but if you watched the saints at all last year it is no worse then it was so it is to be expected. Every time he has a kick you can almost bank on a missed target or it sits up a bit much for an easy punch away. Sometimes his decision making could help him more, it was highlighted by the commentary team on the weekend when he went for the long option and it was easily punched away there was a short option on. Usually he takes the short option but he has a little improvement there which will make his kicking less of an issue.

I am talking about Johnson's kicking over a career and not over two weeks. For the larger part of his career Johnson has been a poor kick, prone to bombing high up and under ball foward. Dave is isolating Ball who is a poor kick but fact is I'd say Ball would have a very high kick to handball ratio.

I personally hate DE% it's just too much of an inconsistant stat and gives way too much benift of the doubt to the user of the ball and doesn't take into account the amount of pressure or lack there of on the player using the ball. I think Swan's goal assit numbers this year is a reflection of how much ball he gets and puts into the foward 50. On top of that I think that he has been pretty lucky anyway.

Johnsons kicking other than the last two weeks has been very good and is far superior to Balls, if the last 2 games are an indication for the rest of the year then I'll be as annoyed as you but for now I'll give him the benefit due to his great form and good kicking.

Too often Swan just hacks it out and kicks as quick as possible when he has a bit of time. Its weird though even though he mongrels it a lot and is right up there in clangers for our team he still near the top in DE% and goal assists. So he has figured out a way to use the mongrel punt at least to the advantage of the team even if he isn't pin pointing passes.

Luke Balls kicking is pretty bad, but if you watched the saints at all last year it is no worse then it was so it is to be expected. Every time he has a kick you can almost bank on a missed target or it sits up a bit much for an easy punch away. Sometimes his decision making could help him more, it was highlighted by the commentary team on the weekend when he went for the long option and it was easily punched away there was a short option on. Usually he takes the short option but he has a little improvement there which will make his kicking less of an issue.

BJ was very good by foot until Saturday night.
Yet the knives are out immediately. O'Bree wa splayed in the forward line and not in the middle where he should be.
Injury and form issues to small forwards caused this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am talking about Johnson's kicking over a career and not over two weeks.

Looking at previous is unfair considering how good his kicking has been this year.

On top of that I think that he has been pretty lucky anyway.

Must be a pretty lucky guy for it to carry over from season to season, he must be in possession of the fabled seven leaf clover.

He has had some very very costly turnovers the last two weeks.

I understand he isn't a great kick, but he needs to make better decisions at least, and kick within his skill level.

It is also the responsibility of team mates to know his, and others, limitations. When he marks 40m out from goal, rather than having a shot or looking to pull off a miracle pass, he needs to be handballing back to a running Harry O or similar, or putting it to the top of the square (once our talls are there to compete) at worst.

It isn't the end of the world, and his in and under work is the best in the side, but he does undo a lot of it when he has a shocking kicking game. He hasn't been alone the last few weeks, it just stands out more with him and is compounded by the fact he has more quick snaps out of packs that are always going to be a 50/50.

More handballs Luke :thumbsu:

Another roast thread from dave,only about 12 more players to go as you did the backline as one.......

Its one loss mate,at round 10......

C'mon Dave this was expected. Luke Ball shouldn't be the one kicking it if possible, which sounds bad but it's true. There was a piece of play on Saturday night when Dane Swan received a free kick in the middle. He handpassed quickly to the straight runner kicker in Ball and guess what happened? Ball turned it over. I know that Swanny was doing the team thing by moving the ball quickly to someone facing the play, but we really don't want Ball to kick it. Luke, and the players, just need to be smarter and make better decisions.

Stats wise Ball's DE last year was 67% and this year it is 66%, so not much difference.

The only player not to be sacked so far this year on BF is Dale Thomas.

Thankfully those that matter failed to heed the advice from many on BF last year and kept young Dale. ;)

He has had some very very costly turnovers the last two weeks.

I understand he isn't a great kick, but he needs to make better decisions at least, and kick within his skill level.

It is also the responsibility of team mates to know his, and others, limitations. When he marks 40m out from goal, rather than having a shot or looking to pull off a miracle pass, he needs to be handballing back to a running Harry O or similar, or putting it to the top of the square (once our talls are there to compete) at worst.

It isn't the end of the world, and his in and under work is the best in the side, but he does undo a lot of it when he has a shocking kicking game. He hasn't been alone the last few weeks, it just stands out more with him and is compounded by the fact he has more quick snaps out of packs that are always going to be a 50/50.

More handballs Luke :thumbsu:

Very True his Turnovers in the last 2 weeks have been very Costly but as you say also the Teammates should not allow him to kick to far or make him Handball it

Maybe make a thread called "Luke Ball diving head first into packs":thumbsu: TD I stick up for you in most of the threads you make but this one is just plain stupid :thumbsdown:

Instead of looking at his negatives look at how hard he goes at the ball and puts his body on the line. Unlike some other guys.

Maybe make a thread called "Luke Ball diving head first into packs":thumbsu: TD I stick up for you in most of the threads you make but this one is just plain stupid :thumbsdown:

Instead of looking at his negatives look at how hard he goes at the ball and puts his body on the line. Unlike some other guys.

Did you read the OP where I said I love Ball's Inside Midfield work but He's Turnovers can be very costly.

Yes I know players like Didak are very soft

Did you read the OP where I said I love Ball's Inside Midfield work but He's Turnovers can be very costly.

Yes I know players like Didak are very soft

All i'm saying is that i'm quite happy with the way he plays. he wasn't getting criticised when we were winning. just think people are too quick to bag players when we lose 2 games. once we start winning again this thread will be lost forever.

oh and when did i say didak :confused:

do you even watch footy? obree pretty much throws it on his boot and closes his eyes , most of the time its a up and under kick that goes 5 metres, or its a hospital ball to a team mate.

balls decision making is pretty good so im not even sure why u are questioning that , everyone knew when he was drafted he wasnt the most pentraiting kick and that was his weakest aspect of his game.

hate threads like this , ridiculous

do you even watch footy? obree pretty much throws it on his boot and closes his eyes , most of the time its a up and under kick that goes 5 metres, or its a hospital ball to a team mate.

balls decision making is pretty good so im not even sure why u are questioning that , everyone knew when he was drafted he wasnt the most pentraiting kick and that was his weakest aspect of his game.

hate threads like this , ridiculous

maybe a Bit over the Top with the Worse then O'Bree Comment but still not to say when he Kicks the Long Ball with NO penetration it makes it way to easy for the Opponent to get the Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back