Roast Luke Beveridge named AFLCA Coach of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Vying for three premierships in a row. Still hasn't won an AFLCA Coach of the year award. What did Clarko do, apart from show up all the other coaches?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-29/beveridge-the-coachs-coach

Nothing personally against Beverage, but an absolute travesty he is not on the below list:

AFLCA Coach of the Year past winners

2003 - Paul Roos (Sydney Swans)
2004 - Mark Williams (Port Adelaide)
2005 - Neil Craig (Adelaide)
2006 - John Worsfold (West Coast)
2007 - Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2008 - Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2009 - Ross Lyon (St Kilda)
2010 - Michael Malthouse (Collingwood)
2011 - John Worsfold (West Coast)
2012 - John Longmire (Sydney Swans)
2013 - Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)
2014 - John Longmire (Sydney Swans)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarkson's side lost to Essendon, GWS, Richmond and Port.

It's not like our season was that great compared to other less talented lists.

I think Beveridge deserves it.

He coached as big a rabble as you could find to the finals. In fact, I would have Simpson ahead of Clarkson this year. Getting the team to work the way they have to compensate for an undermanned backline is outstanding.

It's somewhat incongruous that one the most successful coaches of recent times has not won that award. Despite coaching three flags, a losing Grand Final berth, with the possibility of another flag this weekend along with the mantle of one of the greatest teams ever.

I have no doubt you can make reasons for why coaches deserve to win each season, but I fail to see one for why Clarko hasn't won it yet.

It's somewhat incongruous that one the most successful coaches of recent times has not won that award. Despite coaching three flags, a losing Grand Final berth, with the possibility of another flag this weekend along with the mantle of one of the greatest teams ever.

I have no doubt you can make reasons for why coaches deserve to win each season, but I fail to see one for why Clarko hasn't won it yet.

He was never the shiny new thing of the AFL.

Looking at the list it seems like either the minor premiers coach wins it or they give it to the coach of a plucky unheralded side that exceed expectations.

The latter seems to be the case from 2011-2013.

In 2008 when Clarkson may have got the plucky over achieving award Geelong had such a dominant H/A season that Thompson couldn't be denied.

2012 and 2014 Longmire falls the right side of that equation both times. First time nobody expected Swans to finish that high second time the all singing, all dancing behemoth that is Sydney topped Hawthorn by an almighty half a percent or whatever it was, although in mitigation Clarkson did miss out on coaching during a period where the club shoe shine boy/ mascot bagged 5 wins out of 5.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's clacker but the only way he'd ever win it now is if he loses 2 games in a year or maybe 3 but with an absolutely rip snorting percentage, otherwise another run of the mill minor premiership would no doubt see that year's bolter getting the votes.

In fairness this year shows the thinking, Ross would have got it almost certainly for being minor premiers over the mighty Hawthorn except for the fact that their form since about round 9 has been pretty poor and they can barely kick a score, logic says that taking WCE to 2nd from nowhere is probably most deserving achievement but in people's mind's they can't justify giving it to the coach who finished a touch behind the bloke they can't justify giving it to, because actually during the course of the year WCE made the transformation from being plucky over achievers to genuine flag threat, so they then pick out the coach of the plucky bolter that never actually challenged the hegemony in any meaningful way but the reality is that Simpson achieved far more than Beveridge in terms of exceeding expectations and if WCE had finished 3rd he'd probably have won it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was never the shiny new thing of the AFL.
And that is a big part of why people have underestimated him and then subsequently failed to recognise him.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Personally don't think Clarkson was even close to winning it this year.

He's shown virtually no game style changes from 2014 and has done nothing but back in the best 18, regardless of form, every week.

Some of those other years, in particular 2014, yep definitely robbed, but not this year.

Vying for three premierships in a row. Still hasn't won an AFLCA Coach of the year award. What did Clarko do, apart from show up all the other coaches?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-29/beveridge-the-coachs-coach

Nothing personally against Beverage, but an absolute travesty he is not on the below list:

AFLCA Coach of the Year past winners2003 - Paul Roos (Sydney Swans)
2004 - Mark Williams (Port Adelaide)
2005 - Neil Craig (Adelaide)
2006 - John Worsfold (West Coast)
2007 - Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2008 - Mark Thompson (Geelong)
2009 - Ross Lyon (St Kilda)
2010 - Michael Malthouse (Collingwood)
2011 - John Worsfold (West Coast)
2012 - John Longmire (Sydney Swans)
2013 - Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)
2014 - John Longmire (Sydney Swans)
2012 we finished 1st after a slow start.
2013 we finished 1st. Easily the best team all year.
2014 we finished second by percentage only despite incredible injury list.

Clarko worthy of it in each of those years. Coaches need to give themselves a good look in the mirror.

Said it on the main board, he lost the vote last year by the 5 games on the sidelines, but he won the war, I know which medal he and horse would both have preferred to end the year with

Clarko should take a pay cut.

In all honesty Clarko should have won 2012 and 2013

And Simpson should have won 2015

Hinkley and Bevo did great but it should be an award for the top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back