News Welcome to Hawthorn: Kade Simpson assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting appointment, pretty happy with it though. Loved watching Kade play and hope he can replicate that with our boys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did he say that Mr P.?
Would be awesome if true.
About a month ago on one of the weekly Hawks Insiders safe spaces.

Hasn't seemed to be much more news on it, and now the Hawks have announced Simpon and Mackay, so perhaps roles are filling and this won't happen.

But equally, the Saints have brought in quite a few, so wonder what is happening to Rough's role. Also, Ross is noted as being a very tough boss, and requires a lot of hours from his assistants. Wonder what impact that has on Rough

I thought Roughy was coming back too....isn't that what Ash Browne was implying?
I think Ash was hoping more than anything completely concrete.

"... the following week I caught up with Sam again and couple of the senior backline players."

“I sat down and spoke to them about what they would want in a coach and how I would go about it. I think the following day it was all ticked off and now I’m a Hawk.”

Love to see the players get involved in the process and discussions. Creating a collaborative feeling between the coaching group and the playing group right from the start is a great idea.

Our strongest area of the ground for the past couple of years has turned into our weakest after 8 games. Not sure what we're trying here and I hope questions are being asked.
If you think this is fair, are you going to bump the Newman thread too, for how badly our forward line is performing?

If you think this is fair, are you going to bump the Newman thread too, for how badly our forward line is performing?
I don't necessarily agree with the above, but our back line looking as iffy as it has with about 50% of our leadership group is becoming a worry. Whether that means we ask questions of Simpson specifically or not, I assume it would be part of it.

Look at what the defenders are doing, look at what changes we can make up-stream to cover for our defenders a little bit better, reassess.

Probably not, because:

1) Our inside 50 delivery is the worst in the comp and our forwards outside of Lewis and Moore are, let's be honest, either old and slow, a resting ruckman who's a poor mark, injury prone, VFL standard or 20 years old.

2) We have a defender who was unanimously agreed by the coaches to be the best defender in the league last year.
Hardwick who was unlucky to miss the AA Squad of 40 last year and now his disposal has significantly declined.
Frost, who's 6th in the league for intercept possessions.
Impey who's played over 150 games.
Scrim who can't get a run in our D50 anymore.
CJ who's a shadow of his once self.
DGB who can't get a game.
Thank god for Seamus Mitchell.

Our strongest area of the ground for the past couple of years has turned into our weakest after 8 games. Not sure what we're trying here and I hope questions are being asked.
Really think Frost needs a spell- give DGB and Blanck a chance to play together…

The turnovers and bone headed plays are soul destroying for the other defenders- he gave away a stupid free kick in the 1st 5 minutes on the weekend which lead to a goal - team was pretty much cooked after that…

Last edited:
Probably not, because:

1) Our inside 50 delivery is the worst in the comp and our forwards outside of Lewis and Moore are, let's be honest, either old and slow, a resting ruckman who's a poor mark, injury prone, VFL standard or 20 years old.

2) We have a defender who was unanimously agreed by the coaches to be the best defender in the league last year.
Hardwick who was unlucky to miss the AA Squad of 40 last year and now his disposal has significantly declined.
Frost, who's 6th in the league for intercept possessions.
Impey who's played over 150 games.
Scrim who can't get a run in our D50 anymore.
CJ who's a shadow of his once self.
DGB who can't get a game.
Thank god for Seamus Mitchell.
How much of this lays at Simpsons feet though?
I reckon 15%, at best.

We made the list decisions as a collective, Simpson inherited the role and players. Sicily is being asked to play key defender because DGB and Blanck aren’t there yet. Is that Simspons fault?
Our midfield has had numerous periods of games where they are too easily ran through, letting ball fly into the defensive end. Is that Simspons fault?

Our defensive issues are a sum of all parts. Form, midfield defensive running, inexperience, defensive roles. He’s not hit it out of the park by any means, but no area of the ground is really excelling at the moment apart from possibly our stoppage game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back