Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

After reading a lot about the modern science about concussion he most likely has permanent brain damage, the extreme consequences of playing contact sport. we're going to be hearing a lot more about it

Unfortunately that may well be the case for him. I hope not. Cases like Greg Williams and Ian Roberts in the NRL are the top of the concussive brain injury iceberg.

And it's not just getting "knocked out" that's an issue, it's repeated minor impact. Like headers in soccer for example.

As a dad it's something I'm keeping an eye on.

COLLINGWOOD defender Lynden Dunn is closing in on a return to the field, less than nine months on from a season-ending knee injury which cruelly ruled him out of a debut finals campaign.

The 31-year-old has traded “chasing the white line on the boundary” in the Magpies’ rehabilitation group for a return to main training in recent weeks and is targeting a comeback through the VFL in the “next few weeks”.

Dunn ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in Round 15 last season but said his recovery had all gone to script and was now “ready to hit the ‘go’ button” and resume his career.

“I’m not thinking about my knee out on the ground which is a good thing,” Dunn said.

“I’m confident in my body, I’m confident in my preparation that I put into my rehab and I just need to really put it out thereagainst some opposition with some genuine match play.

“There’s no date set or round set for a return to the AFL, yet. It’s having confidence in my body and performing at a standard that’s good enough to come back into the AFL team. When all that slots together, I’ll be back.”

Dunn said while sitting out last season’s push to September and a Grand Final appearance for the Magpies had been difficult he had quickly accepted his fate and moved on, suggesting the injury was a “bit of footy karma” after 15 years without a major injury.

Originally drafted to Melbourne, Dunn is still yet to play in an AFL final from 196 career games but is fiercely determined to end that drought before his playing days are out.

“I hope to change that before my career’s over,” Dunn said.

“I want to play in winning finals and winning teams and play in a Grand Final and have that chance to go one step better than we did last year.

“If I never get the chance to play a final it’s not like my career’s been wasted or I feel hard-done by. I wouldn’t change anything. Having said that, playing in a winning final would be nice.”

Dunn penned a one-year contract extension last October but said he had full confidence of extending his career well beyond this season.

“I certainly feel like I can still play three or four years, but I don’t think I’ll be signing any three or four-year deals in the near future,” Dunn said.

“The person that I am, the way I play my footy, I’ll probably be on one-year deals for the rest of my career but if I’m playing good footy, enjoying myself, I’ll just keep signing one-year deals.”

looks like its gonna be a selection battle at fullback between Dunn and Roughead.

Rougheads 200cm has been really handy killing the contest, plus his ariel work and reading of the play has surprised me. Dunny has the booming boot and 100kg+ frame to go with the monster forwards, incredibly strong and experienced too.

Moore i want to keep at CHB.

Last edited:
looks like its gonna be a selection battle at fullback between Dunn and Roughead.

Rougheads 200cm has been really handing killing the contest, plus his ariel work and reading lf the play has surprised me. Dunny is has the booming boot and 100kg+ frame to go with the monster forwards, incredibly strong and experienced too.

I'd pick Dunn every day of the week. His shut down work is excellent. He also sets up so much play from kick ins. I hope he's back soon because he rounds out that defensive mix nicely.

Rougheads 200cm has been really handy killing the contest, plus his ariel work and reading lf the play has surprised me. Dunny is has the booming boot and 100kg+ frame to go with the monster forwards, incredibly strong and experienced too.

I reckon his ariel work is a bit fishy but I agree he’s a handy catch.

I'd pick Dunn every day of the week. His shut down work is excellent. He also sets up so much play from kick ins. I hope he's back soon because he rounds out that defensive mix nicely.

Same page and I’d add that Dunn’s leadership is also a step ahead. As optimistic as these articles are I think it’s unlikely we’ll see Dunn pre-ANZAC day so Roughead will receive ample opportunity to show he’s up for the fight.

FWIW I’m wrapt the club appear to have scrapped the idea of using Roughead as a relief ruck. If it’s going to work for him it’s down back where a spot will be available as Dunn and Goldsack come to the end and Kelly develops.

I reckon his ariel work is a bit fishy but I agree he’s a handy catch.
Loving your play on words there, you’ve angled the metaphor well.
TheGreatGrundy would (I’m sure) appreciate such witty word play, he normally gets lured in by such wording.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back