Gaming Madden 06

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Madden 06 thoughts

The novelty of Superstar mode wears off quickly, there so many flaws in it it's sad. But they'll tweak it in coming years, i'm sure, but for now i'm sticking to the plain franchise mode.

The QB cone is a good addition, you can still hit recievers outside your cone, but it's risky, and for once there's a difference between Peyton and Trent Dilfer, and you can't just run slants all the time for 1st downs with a bad QB. I also like the 'truck stick', since it means running backs (like Benson) can actually go between the tackles and get some yards.

Overall, solid, but if you have 05 i'm not sure it's worth the purchase unless you're a diehard. I have 05, and I bought this one, and i'm not sure if two new features and updated rosters was worth 70 bucks, Superstar mode is a joke.

DonAce said:
Overall, solid, but if you have 05 i'm not sure it's worth the purchase unless you're a diehard. I have 05, and I bought this one, and i'm not sure if two new features and updated rosters was worth 70 bucks,

I buy the game each year because i love the gameplay and the depth of career mode, not overly fussed if there aren't too many new features.

I've not actually got this years version yet, but will at some stage.

Thanks for your thoughts Donace i knock off work today at 1 so ill get a good session in this afternoon, what about the precison passing how do you find that feature???
Also i only assuming if i use say Eli manning at QB as he progresses does his QB vision increase??
I also buy the game each year, as I enjoy using the new rosters and features.

I'm pretty disappointed with it. I owned Madden 2003, and the jump to 2004 was pretty good...now I've got in for 2006 and meh.

The interface has the same flaws, they didn't improve the way their custom teams stuff works, making an super roster for fun is still a pain in the arse, they're even using the same post-game celebration animation and commentary! Was not worth the money.

On superstar mode, very annoying to use (you miss interviews by simulating through apparently dead time, you can't export your player to a real roster), and if they had made the interface more versatile in other aspects of the game, you could at least be confident that it would be fixed for the next game. But, I'm not.

The passing cone is directly related to the passer's awareness. So Peyton Manning can see half the field, but Eli, for example, might have a much smaller cone until his awareness increases. He can still make passes outside the cone, but they've got more chance of being an INT, going where there is no reciever, etc.

Im sure you'll get used to the new features. I dont go for much beyond the franchise mode. Like to just play games through that so they count for something... but lately I set it up... play one game (on 2005) and then dont go back to it. Unfortunatly my playstation etc was stolen but im insured for a new copy of 2006 as well as the new cricket game, tiger woods golf etc... should be fun when it all turns up.

Been playing Madden for the last month and find it very similiur to last years version. I do like the hit stick, even with Ahman Green he knocks over 2rate defenders.

Its almost impossible to break through good defenders like Urlacher,Lewis etc etc. I think the game is an improvment on last year however slightly. I played Superstar mode but there are to many faults especially when being asked to be traded, how is it that it just happens??? no contract, no media press conference, no negotiating for the team you would like to go to, not finding out who uve been traded for?? the list just goes on.

Franchise mode is great, always has been.

Let me ask this - does anyone else find that if your leading say for example 28-14 with under 2 minutes left that the opposition will all of a sudden pile on 5 consecutive passes in a row and put on pounts very quickly?? even though the QB has struggled throughout the game, they manage to put together points all off a sudden your great D goes sh it.

Can anyone give me tips how to combat that??

I too think 06 is a slight improvement on 05.

I've been playing Superstar mode for the last week but once the draft and interviews are over the game kinda gets boring. It's just the same every week with practice then a game. How do I improve my player? It seems I'm just playing out the games waiting for another movie offer or interview or something different to come up.

The rest of Madden 06 is pretty good, mostly because it's just the same as 05. I think the All-Madden difficulty is slightly easier especially with my main man M.Vick's running game. EA also failed to fix the fact that when the opposition is lining up for a field goal or conversion I can run one of my defenders straight into the back wall and out of the stadium. But overall I rate 06

coombs55 said:
opposition is lining up for a field goal or conversion I can run one of my defenders straight into the back wall and out of the stadium.

Well do you want full control over your players or not??

Well do you want full control over your players or not??

No no don't get me wrong of course I want full control. But the glitch is that I can run them THROUGH the barrier behind the posts, as in the barrier doesn't stop my player. Try it, your player will run back then disappear somewhere amongst the hotdog stands or in the carpark.

coombs55 said:
No no don't get me wrong of course I want full control. But the glitch is that I can run them THROUGH the barrier behind the posts, as in the barrier doesn't stop my player. Try it, your player will run back then disappear somewhere amongst the hotdog stands or in the carpark.
I'm just browsing but I find it amusing that you even tried to run your player out of the stadium! :D

From my experience with the Madden franchise, it's very deep and detailed. How do you think someone with little to no knowledge of NFL teams and players would go with the game? Would it still be worth it do you think, or what it be too difficult to learn the skills of all the players etc.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No really Luke i think you just pick your favourite team and start a team up, yes you do have a lot of control over your team but the difficult parts give you explainations and you can even simulate the draft if that is to difficult and also simulate resigning and signing players.

Is this game best on PC or Playstation 2?? What is the easiest to control? I have always found keyboards hard to use in games (too many buttons to remember), but what differences would they have? ie Fifa games have a lot of downloadable extras for PC versions.

bobneil130 said:
Although i have really only played it for a couple of hours or so early thoughts are the precision passing and qb vision is a good idea but hard to control. Moving the QB looking left and right with the other analog stick then having to hit pass is difficult, also will take me a while to work out the Superstar level a bit more but is intresting so far.

Ok. I now have it and totally agree... for someone who isnt right into the game like myself I could see how you could pick it up and think this is rubbish because its too hard and never play it again/buy it.

I played a couple of games last night and it was easy as! to run the ball but very difficult to pass it without getting sacked or just messing up. so really I need to go up a difficulty because of the run but prob wont complete a pass!

On defence its confusing switching the players because its changed from last year... still havent worked out exactly what it is with it but hmmmm.

I actually think its easier to pass with the cone. If you go through your reads quickly you will nearly always find a receiver with a step on the defense and you can put the pass where it needs to be. Receivers actually jump for the ball this year which helps as well

manureid said:
Is this game best on PC or Playstation 2?? What is the easiest to control? I have always found keyboards hard to use in games (too many buttons to remember), but what differences would they have? ie Fifa games have a lot of downloadable extras for PC versions.

the graphics are better on pc, than they are on xbox and ps2.
i suppose if you have got a good control pad for your pc then its better on pc.
otherwise go with the xbox version.

Madden is THE BEST sport game out EVER........imagine if the AFL games were 1/2 as good as madden is. Franchise mode is amazing........i have 05, will get 06 asap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back