Gaming Madden 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Baseball another game I hate but plays well, same as Ice Hockey.
I used to be a huge hockey gamer too. Even before video games that little battery operated one where you slide players along grooves.

Football was still very fun on the 2K games because the animations and movements were still pretty smooth and bled into each other making it look more realistic. Like a ball carrier absorbing a tackle, pushing forward a yard or two, dragging a leg, then another tackler comes in and a sense of physics going on. Madden has always been just collision-based. M23 has better stick control but its still all jerky and non-smooth animation branching.

I used to be a huge hockey gamer too. Even before video games that little battery operated one where you slide players along grooves.

Football was still very fun on the 2K games because the animations and movements were still pretty smooth and bled into each other making it look more realistic. Like a ball carrier absorbing a tackle, pushing forward a yard or two, dragging a leg, then another tackler comes in and a sense of physics going on. Madden has always been just collision-based. M23 has better stick control but its still all jerky and non-smooth animation branching.

Haven't played a hockey game in yonks but the one I used to play had fights, smashing the glass if you hit someone hard enough into it, was an epic game.

Bet you they have taken fights out of the game today , like the NFL have removed the violent stuff you used to be able to do.

This was the one I would play heaps of, * didnt realise it was 2001, awesome intro with Collective Soul... EA made some mad intros back in the day

San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche were my two teams.

I'm a very casual EPL fan, and had never played soccer video games before. It was an eye-opener.

There are problems with Fifa 22, overly complex controls, hard to be good at, but just the free-flowing nature, all 10 mins of an online/offline game nonstop action .... PLUS .... the smooth animation transitions and movements it just looks/plays more realistic.

Just finding it real hard to get into Madden. Maybe i still eventually will?
Like TV shows mate, if your not enjoying it cut it loose. We're all too time poor to grind things that aren't enjoyable. Thats been the best thing about the new PS tiers. I can try one of the free games and if im not enjoying it, move on to another one.

The only problem with these other games is I feel you need to be a fan of the sport to fully commit to them & I am neither a real fan of soccer or basketball
I hate basketball but a few years back got hooked into NBA 2k20 I think it was
Baseball another sport I hate but plays well, same as Ice Hockey.
MLB The Show is really good, but the novalty of it wears out pretty quickly

On baseball, it is bat s**t boring to watch but back in the day I played it for 2 years and 1 year of softball. As a sport to play its awesome as a junior. I think that might be down to not having to field for a long period at a time and potentially getting 3+ times to bat helps

Haven't played a hockey game in yonks but the one I used to play had fights, smashing the glass if you hit someone hard enough into it, was an epic game.

Bet you they have taken fights out of the game today , like the NFL have removed the violent stuff you used to be able to do.

NHL 22 still has fighting in it. It's free on gamepass atm its a blast to play.

Used to buy most of the sports games each year. These days I cycle them. MLB the show last year, Madden this year, NBA 2K the following etc.

Means I actually notice an upgrade by the time I play the next version of each of them.
Yep I would buy Madden every 2nd year to appreciate a bigger jump in quality between titles. However I haven't bought it since '20 and was going to jump back in this year but I might wait until either '24 or '25, things will hopefully feel different and improved by then!

But I've been craving a good sports game for a while so am just going to splash out on NHL 23 when it's released. I have played a few NHL games 10+ years ago and am a massive ice hockey fan so will enjoy it regardless of reviews etc I think. It can't be as bad as Madden!

Last 2 2k's have sucked thou.

Heavily suffers from the same fatigue as Madden.

Core gameplay/visuals feels like playing any of the last 5 iterations.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heavily suffers from the same fatigue as Madden.

Core gameplay feels like playing any of the last 5 iterations.
To be fair they've got it as such a high level that it's hard to see many improvements year on year.

It's why they have to do things like the ' Era's ', to keep people buying it each year.

It's why they have to do things like the ' Era's ', to keep people buying it each year.

Its brilliant honestly, opens up a whole new world of customers for them.

To be fair they've got it as such a high level that it's hard to see many improvements year on year.

Yeah definitely, it had to get to a point where without the assistance of some radical new control, engine physics capability or other change, it would hit a 'roof' and be as good as it can get for the time being.

I guess though that's why the lack of additional gameplay mechanics/modes for the more managerial based games modes for example becomes more disappointing as we go. Because it's these areas where they could be taking leaps, as opposed to the 'Era's' and Ultimate Team rehashes that don't take all that long to feel stale again for a large portion of the player base.

Imagine if the NFL did eras, going way back, would be sick.

I mean by now they would have recreated most of the major stars going way back, but they just focus on including them inside the MUT money making machine.

I mean by now they would have recreated most of the major stars going way back, but they just focus on including them inside the MUT money making machine.

Very true.

Would be awesome though, see all the equipment, logo and uniform changes over time as you go thru a franchise, the different fields. Sadly cant see it happening anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back