Mandatory detention of refugees (Stop the boats. 5k a head. Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its clear reading thorough this thread that some of you have taken leave of your senses. What mountain of evidence do you need before the penny finally drops? The huge majority of Australians aren't interested in adding to the bottomless welfare pit, much less expanding the already large terrorist pool here in Australia. And thanks for giving us this s**t in the first place.

Its clear reading thorough this thread that some of you have taken leave of your senses. What mountain of evidence do you need before the penny finally drops? The huge majority of Australians aren't interested in adding to the bottomless welfare pit, much less expanding the already large terrorist pool here in Australia. And thanks for giving us this s**t in the first place.
The cost of mandatory detention exceeds $10 billion and our terrorists thus far haven't been boat people. Do you want to have another go?

The cost of mandatory detention exceeds $10 billion and our terrorists thus far haven't been boat people. Do you want to have another go?

The last four terrorist attacks in this country have all been by refugees so excuse me if I don't give a s**t how they get here. As for the cost of detaining them these are the hardest case remnant of the disasterous Laborgreen era. They would be the last people on the face of the earth we need here.

Asylum seekers who alleged they endured physical and psychological harm on Manus Island between 2012 and 2016 say they "are finally being heard" after the Federal Government agreed to pay $70 million in compensation.

These amounts are what is known but I believe that there have been more that have been settled that we are not aware of.
Add in the costs of boat turnback, maintaining facilities, payment to PNG, Wilson etc and I reckon a number of schools and hospitals would have been world class with the money this government has spent on about 5000 people. Many of whom have been confirmed to be refugees.

So we spend a few billion showing off how tough we are at dealing with asylum seekers, and then have to pay out tens of millions compensating them for excessively harsh treatment, plus costs, because we are too ashamed to let them testify in court and tell their story?

All for a relatively small number of people.

So we spend a few billion showing off how tough we are at dealing with asylum seekers, and then have to pay out tens of millions compensating them for excessively harsh treatment, plus costs, because we are too ashamed to let them testify in court and tell their story?

Yet the government thinks it's not an admission of guilt yeah right.

If they didn't pay up all the details of how they were treated would have come out.

The morons clearly thought that a payout was better than setting a precedent in the courts.

They laud over all of us with the law and then engage payouts with public money when they themselves are going to get put on show.

Corrupt bastards, all of them.

Imagine the money we would have saved if we settled the genuine ones in country towns where farmers await backpackers to pick their fruit and vegetables. All you would need would be a few portable homes or even rent out empty ones.
Win win, money earned stays in the towns and people populate the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because it's government run. Which always means poor management.

We need to privatize our detention centers and sell them to Murdoch or Gina asap.

I look at this way.

$70 million in compensation is comparatively chicken feed compared to what we know has happened in these places, in particular the rapes, maiming and deaths primarily at the hands of those placed in positions of responsibility to protect the people being housed in these places - and covered up by the Government.

No life is worth $35000. None at all. It is now time for those responsible to held to account FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

Asylum seekers who alleged they endured physical and psychological harm on Manus Island between 2012 and 2016 say they "are finally being heard" after the Federal Government agreed to pay $70 million in compensation.

These amounts are what is known but I believe that there have been more that have been settled that we are not aware of.
Add in the costs of boat turnback, maintaining facilities, payment to PNG, Wilson etc and I reckon a number of schools and hospitals would have been world class with the money this government has spent on about 5000 people. Many of whom have been confirmed to be refugees.

Only because it can't be proven that they aren't.

Economic refugees with a scripted sob story that can't be verified because it's too difficult and prohibitively expensive to do so.

Only because it can't be proven that they aren't.

Economic refugees with a scripted sob story that can't be verified because it's too difficult and prohibitively expensive to do so.
Think you may need to read up on it - approx 80% have been proven.

Proven by whom? I'd love to see the evidence that was used to prove their claims, if there is any apart from the refugee's own word.
Google it. Or try reading and watching news that don't feed your bias.

Google it. Or try reading and watching news that don't feed your bias.

I don't really watch the news on it. I used to be in the Navy and pick some of them up and once I was out, I had friends still in that were doing it.

I used to from time to time google stuff on it but it's all a bit stale now. There were some interesting bits where refugees themselves have told how they were given scripted stories to feed authorities, that were likely to make their claims more acceptable / legitimate.

We used to get them off the boat and all they'd have would be the clothes on their backs and a business card for an Australian Immigration lawyer that they were given before leaving Indonesia.

I don't really watch the news on it. I used to be in the Navy and pick some of them up and once I was out, I had friends still in that were doing it.

I used to from time to time google stuff on it but it's all a bit stale now. There were some interesting bits where refugees themselves have told how they were given scripted stories to feed authorities, that were likely to make their claims more acceptable / legitimate.

We used to get them off the boat and all they'd have would be the clothes on their backs and a business card for an Australian Immigration lawyer that they were given before leaving Indonesia.
I too still have friends currently working in that area and that a lot more boats have gotten through (and then turned back) that have not been publicised, but totally irrelevant to how many are genuine refugees.
Vetting does not mean that they just take the word of the individual.

I too still have friends currently working in that area and that a lot more boats have gotten through (and then turned back) that have not been publicised, but totally irrelevant to how many are genuine refugees.
Vetting does not mean that they just take the word of the individual.

We can't afford to vet them thoroughly, the areas that they're from just about make it impossible and as I already posted, prohibitively expensive.

If someone presents at immigration with no identification papers, such as a passport etc, what do you do? I'd suggest that a lot of it is based on the word of the individual with some very rudimentary checks carried out.

Do you think the Australian government just has a roving team wandering around the Middle East going from village to village checking on the bona fides of applicants?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back