FTA-TV Mark Howard

Speed is an A-League/Soccer guy who has zero passion for AFL.

Depends how you define passion.

The fact that speed is not from an AFL background, yet calls the game well speaks volumes for him.

His hero is Martin Tyler, one of the worlds renowned commentators. Many AFL commentators could take a leaf out of his book

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Depends how you define passion.

The fact that speed is not from an AFL background, yet calls the game well speaks volumes for him.

His hero is Martin Tyler, one of the worlds renowned commentators. Many AFL commentators could take a leaf out of his book
If there is such a thing as the perfect commentator, it's Martin Tyler. Could listen to him commentate paint dry.

On TV I've found him very good. Gets the names correct almost always, calls accurately and has gears. Bruce is a sycophant too but he's had a marvellous calling career- if you're genuine you can make it work.

To his credit, he has improved from when I first heard him do (radio) commentary 4ish years ago (unlike Basil, Hamish and Luke Darcy who have not progressed at all!). If he continues to improve, rather than stagnate than those previously mentioned, he will be top tier (Huddo 99/00 was not top tier but worked on it, the late Clinton Grybas the same).

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
How do you know that? His knowledge of the game is very good.
Scroll through his twitter. Full of A-League posts/retweets with a sprinkling of AFL/NRL. Yes he knows enough about the game to commentate it but it's clear where his passion lies.

Scroll through his twitter. Full of A-League posts/retweets with a sprinkling of AFL/NRL. Yes he knows enough about the game to commentate it but it's clear where his passion lies.

Is that an issue? Or how is passion measured?

He was I think employed to call the a league. Ergo you are immersed in it.

He is a very good caller without the sucking up, favourites. Commentators call games. Professionalism is and should be first and foremost. Look at the big commentators. Bt, Bruce.....Dwayne Russell. Unfortunately we are stuck with them given afl is a domestic sport.

Godchin

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I like him and I don't buy the sycophant angle. You can tell that his colleagues like him and that he gels well with them.
Andy Maher was mentioned alongside Howard earlier in the thread but if you watch the disgust wash across Mark Waugh's face during the Big Bash when Maher is in the box with him and then contrast it to the laid back joy that's visible when he's with Howie, it paints a telling picture.

Wayne Dwop

All Australian
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like him and I don't buy the sycophant angle. You can tell that his colleagues like him and that he gels well with them.
Andy Maher was mentioned alongside Howard earlier in the thread but if you watch the disgust wash across Mark Waugh's face during the Big Bash when Maher is in the box with him and then contrast it to the laid back joy that's visible when he's with Howie, it paints a telling picture.

Maher is on channel 7
Mark Waugh is on Fox

Back