Coach Mark Neeld leaves Essendon as Game Performance Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont know how to feel about this.

The story about all the other assistants having to go through him to get to woosha is worrisome. But he is a product of the system he was hired to fill to some extent.

I am sure he is not without fault. Tactically he was behind the 8 ball at Melbourne and was really always part of an exceptional development coach duo with Beveridge at collingwood. To know he was in charge partly of our failed game plan is no surprise. Especially as it seems he wasnt to open to suggestion.

Although if Woosha prescribed to this set up where only two coaches could have access in the box to him, its a mindset thing. There might be more official avenues for assistant coaches to give input to Woosha, but if he prescribed to the ridiculous system aforementioned, he is highly unlikely to give any credence or thought to any ideas that the other assistants are now technically 'allowed' to share. He obviously has little interest in listening to them and that wont change tbrough a simple restructure. If we want to stop the supposed rot, then more personnel changes will be required. Personally that starts with Woosha and Dodoro for a start.

Regardless, i am certain Neeld didnt half-arse his job. He would have given it his best and so we thank you for your time. All the best for the future.

I have a new cat for you to use
View attachment 497448
Or this!
giphy.gif

We are truly a laughing stock (again)...

We had Mark Neeld (arguably the worst performing coach of any palatable professional era) as a performance and tactical coach plus the majority of correspondence directed through him to the head coach... What in the actual ...k?

I was all for giving him a chance but I'm flabbergasted at this latest development...

This gives him a chance to impose his own will and manipulative/slant how ever he sees fit...

I'm sorry but Worsfold is just taking the Pi55 and our money now...

No wonder its all been leaked...

I made fair comment before and have tried to be balanced in my critisium and praise but this is it for me...

3 decades of support, unwavering faith through the saga and recently bought my daughter a membership because she has been actually questioning a few things lately about my influence on her team choice as well as coping it from other kids for the last five years...

As supporters we a being treated like idiots and now i truely do feel sorry for the players...

RO...

Can someone remind me of what Luke Balls role is?

Serious question....have heard nothing from or about him since it was announced.

Wonder if Neeld leaving will see him officially join footy department? If memory serves his role sits outside and reports to HR...many suggested at the time that this was a loophole to navigate the cap on footy department spend. Problem solved with Neeld gone maybe.
I'd forgotten about him too...

Can someone remind me of what Luke Balls role is?

Serious question....have heard nothing from or about him since it was announced.

Wonder if Neeld leaving will see him officially join footy department? If memory serves his role sits outside and reports to HR...many suggested at the time that this was a loophole to navigate the cap on footy department spend. Problem solved with Neeld gone maybe.
Was supposed too be in charge of "People Performance' But he isn't even listed on the clubs site staff listings aim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move.
Neeld made his name as a development coach at the Pies leading into their premiership.. That is what he does best. Has a poor record at anything else. When he came on board as development coach in 2014 I did not mind as that is his thing. The last thing we needed him doing was game performance coach.
This. So much this. He performed well in 2015 through 17 as the head of development, and instead of keeping him in that role and filling Kelly into the midfield we decided to change the structure and put him in a poor role.

Some of the reactions in here are disappointing. He was good for us for 3 years there and yet people are acting as if he was a disaster from the get go.

I dont know how to feel about this.

The story about all the other assistants having to go through him to get to woosha is worrisome. But he is a product of the system he was hired to fill to some extent.

I am sure he is not without fault. Tactically he was behind the 8 ball at Melbourne and was really always part of an exceptional development coach duo with Beveridge at collingwood. To know he was in charge partly of our failed game plan is no surprise. Especially as it seems he wasnt to open to suggestion.

Although if Woosha prescribed to this set up where only two coaches could have access in the box to him, its a mindset thing. There might be more official avenues for assistant coaches to give input to Woosha, but if he prescribed to the ridiculous system aforementioned, he is highly unlikely to give any credence or thought to any ideas that the other assistants are now technically 'allowed' to share. He obviously has little interest in listening to them and that wont change tbrough a simple restructure. If we want to stop the supposed rot, then more personnel changes will be required. Personally that starts with Woosha and Dodoro for a start.

Regardless, i am certain Neeld didnt half-arse his job. He would have given it his best and so we thank you for your time. All the best for the future.

Yep.

A lot of what’s coming out is that he was basically made redundant as part of a coaching restructure.

And he’s not being replaced.

That doesn’t exactly point to just poor performance on his part. It means the whole system / structure is ****ed.

Whatever changes they made over the summer, it’s been a right royal utensil-up.

Was supposed too be in charge of "People Performance' But he isn't even listed on the clubs site staff listings aim
It’s actually weird....no LinkedIn profile or Twitter feed either, nothing comes up in google search since the announcement.

He's currently working on Allan Turing's machine trying to decipher what is meant by the players 'standing for something' and how that could possibly apply to playing football matches.

Once he's figured it out hell tell the players who then provide him with a response which he decodes for the coaches.

It's industry best practice and he's reduced the time for message transmission to 6 weeks
I believe the quote was 'standing or something'. It was the reply woosha got from the assistant coaches through the chinese whispers message filter when he asked what the players thought they were supposed to be doing after half time.
Imo it is a big step forward from 'standing or sitting'. Things could be worse.

Comments like these are actually quite humorous, particularly with respect to assessing assistant coaches.

Without being involved in the day to day, how would you know how each assistant performs within the overall structure? What if the structure, and ergo the leadership, is totally rooted? Are the assistants still to blame for every shortcoming?

Why do Harding and Kelly get a pass? The vibe, or more a touch of recency bias?

No offence, but it would appear you’re simply guessing, frankly

Your vote on day 2... wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back