Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

3000 runs @ 62.5

were not worthy waynes world GIF

it'll be interesting to see where marnus ends up.

Comparisons after 30 tests with 50+ batting average:

(jones, taylor, morris, o'neill fall off this list after 40 tests and hayden and border come in)
(harvey, gilchrist and walters tail off significantly in their last few tests they played)
(s.waugh and ponting were slow starters, possibly because they spent alot of time at number 6 early on?)
1670631277387.png

After 30 tests, under 50 average, but finished their career with 50+.

1670631355192.png

Posted this in the Things that please me thread but thought I'd add it here as well:

Took my kids to day 4 of the test in Adelaide against the Windies. Older son (6yo) obsessed with cricket loves all the players etc. Younger son (4yo) loves watching the spider cam zooming around in the air above field 🤣

Both kids have just as much of an awesome day at the cricket for totally different reasons.

After the match finishes the players stay out for ages signing and taking photos. Older son "Oh there's Marnus, Smith, Carey" etc. and gets super excited when each comes over to him. Marnus comes over and signs the (very excited) older sons hat.

Older son: "Well batted Marnus"
Marnus: "Thanks mate really appreciate that"
Marnus to younger son: "How you going mate?"
Younger son (now leaning over the fence looking at the grass on the oval): "Good. Look at this grass isn't it nice?"
Marnus (now laughing): "Yes it is pretty good isn't it?"

This pleased me because we forget as adults what it's like to meet those sorts of players as kids and also it was just a hilarious moment as well 🤣

Posted this in the Things that please me thread but thought I'd add it here as well:

Took my kids to day 4 of the test in Adelaide against the Windies. Older son (6yo) obsessed with cricket loves all the players etc. Younger son (4yo) loves watching the spider cam zooming around in the air above field 🤣

Both kids have just as much of an awesome day at the cricket for totally different reasons.

After the match finishes the players stay out for ages signing and taking photos. Older son "Oh there's Marnus, Smith, Carey" etc. and gets super excited when each comes over to him. Marnus comes over and signs the (very excited) older sons hat.

Older son: "Well batted Marnus"
Marnus: "Thanks mate really appreciate that"
Marnus to younger son: "How you going mate?"
Younger son (now leaning over the fence looking at the grass on the oval): "Good. Look at this grass isn't it nice?"
Marnus (now laughing): "Yes it is pretty good isn't it?"

This pleased me because we forget as adults what it's like to meet those sorts of players as kids and also it was just a hilarious moment as well 🤣

Feel like the aus players are more approachable after games, during rain breaks etc. compared to past years. It's very good to see.

Big bump.

For all the conjecture about Marnus at home vs Marnus away he now averages around 43 overseas and the same in England specifically.

Started the series terribly but has passed 20 in every innings since, he'd be spitting chips he hasn't made far more of 7 double figure scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit disgraceful how little the media are talking about his Ashes saving innings.

He has come in under an absolute mountain of pressure. Not converting starts in this series, an overseas record that is below par and his team is in an absolute bind trying to hold on.

He comes out and plays a flawless innings, soaking up 173 balls (along with 115 in the first innings to make it 50 overs they had to bowl for two of their wickets)... And there is almost zero recognition and talk of what a great Ashes innings that was.

He's a bit of a fruitloop but I couldn't be happier for him. It was a huge knock that'll get lost amongst all the whinging about rain, England being unlucky etc. Fact is, he helped face 30 overs on a pivotal day in the series when him going early could have easily seen us fold before the weather set in. That's not even taking into account holding firm against England on day 3 when they were running through the rest of the top order.

Fingers crossed he carries this over to the Oval and helps us win outright.

It's a bit disgraceful how little the media are talking about his Ashes saving innings.

He has come in under an absolute mountain of pressure. Not converting starts in this series, an overseas record that is below par and his team is in an absolute bind trying to hold on.

He comes out and plays a flawless innings, soaking up 173 balls (along with 115 in the first innings to make it 50 overs they had to bowl for two of their wickets)... And there is almost zero recognition and talk of what a great Ashes innings that was.

I think the washout/whinging has taken centre stage but I agree with you. Absolutely brilliant innings and I’m not even convinced we’d have lost if there was no rain on the final day.

That was one of the best Ashes innings in recent times. I’d love to see him replicate it in a win in the fifth test so he gets the recognition he deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now the challenge will be to maintain an average of 50.

Or even 45. We'll be a-ok if Labs and Head can do that in the next five years whilst we get new openers and hopefully Green lives up to his potential.

I got laughed at in another thread but I maintain my belief that Marnus will get dropped from the test team at some stage in the next 12 months. He’s flirting with his form way too much and has a touch of arrogance in his strokeplay which isn’t justified at this stage of his career
Only went 3 years too early on this

Its a worry though with marnus.....getting squared up twice as a number three and giving slip catching practice ..is not a good look

Thought he had regained some form when he made the 60 odd in the chase against Pakistan... that was his most confident and fluid innings to date this summer

Not liking every time he gets out ...,he keeps on looking at the pitch....like the ball has moved sideways or something.....and takes so bloody long to get off the field

Think the coaches need to have a word to him

Its a worry though with marnus.....getting squared up twice as a number three and giving slip catching practice ..is not a good look

Thought he had regained some form when he made the 60 odd in the chase against Pakistan... that was his most confident and fluid innings to date this summer

Not liking every time he gets out ...,he keeps on looking at the pitch....like the ball has moved sideways or something.....and takes so bloody long to get off the field

Think the coaches need to have a word to him
I feel like a part of that is that he's Smudge's lapdog and just copies everything he does. But it's not a healthy attitude, even if it worked for Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back