Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get how Cuningham's opponent will lose him in the traffic given his speed and strong tackling. You are making assumptions here. Would be great to trial it now because I would prefer Cuners in that role to E Curnow who regularly burns us with his disposal.

"Don't get how Cuningham's opponent will lose him in the traffic given his speed and strong tackling."It isn't his physical skills but his mental ones that I am worried about.

Ed's role and what seems to be being asked here of Cuningham are 2 different things.

Posters are wanting Cuningham to follow a player around the ground to be dragged to the ball, requiring endurance which isn't his strength, and then once at the contest change to being offensive and use his burst to create which would then allow his high quality opponent to lose him in traffic and be offensive themselves. It results in being a bit half pregnant and I think would cause Cuningham unsuccessfully trying to choose which mode he is supposed to be in.

"Don't get how Cuningham's opponent will lose him in the traffic given his speed and strong tackling."It isn't his physical skills but his mental ones that I am worried about.

Ed's role and what seems to be being asked here of Cuningham are 2 different things.

Posters are wanting Cuningham to follow a player around the ground to be dragged to the ball, requiring endurance which isn't his strength, and then once at the contest change to being offensive and use his burst to create which would then allow his high quality opponent to lose him in traffic and be offensive themselves. It results in being a bit half pregnant and I think would cause Cuningham unsuccessfully trying to choose which mode he is supposed to be in.

We need to accept Cunners will never be a high possession, ball winning mid.

What i think he is best suited to is a half forward and play a role similar to Richmond's Castagna/Rioli etc.

In that role, it's perfectly fine to only get around 12-18 disposals, as long as he's also impacting the scoreboard either directly or through assists, and using his speed to put on defensive pressure. Cunners definitely has the ability to do this, we've seen it.

Richmond has many of these kinds of players who don't wrack them up on the stats sheet but have impact on games.

We need to accept Cunners will never be a high possession, ball winning mid.

What i think he is best suited to is a half forward and play a role similar to Richmond's Castagna/Rioli etc.

In that role, it's perfectly fine to only get around 12-18 disposals, as long as he's also impacting the scoreboard either directly or through assists, and using his speed to put on defensive pressure. Cunners definitely has the ability to do this, we've seen it.

Richmond has many of these kinds of players who don't wrack them up on the stats sheet but have impact on games.
This is what I’m thinking too. If Cuningham can become our Castagna then that’ll do. It’s crazy to think Castagna is only 9months older then Cuningham.

Right.....yes....good idea.

All good and all being well we may find some harmony along the way through the course of the year. :)
Dang. I was really looking forward to hearing how many Carlton players could dance on the head of a pin. ;-)

This is what I’m thinking too. If Cuningham can become our Castagna then that’ll do. It’s crazy to think Castagna is only 9months older then Cuningham.

And honestly i don't see any reason why he can't be.

He's actually far more skilled than Castagna, i'd put him more on par with Dan Rioli.

I have real respect for Castagna because he's an absolute butcher of the ball...his kicking for goal is pretty damn poor. But he's applied himself and got the best out of himself to cement a best 22 spot in a multi-premiership winning team.

He's actually far more skilled than Castagna, i'd put him more on par with Dan Rioli.

I have real respect for Castagna because he's an absolute butcher of the ball...his kicking for goal is pretty damn poor. But he's applied himself and got the best out of himself to cement a best 22 spot in a multi-premiership winning team.

Richmond did OK in that rookie draft - Castagna, Short, Lambert & Soldo.

Reckon it's more about development and buy-in than for talent alone, but that's not a bet netting in the 2014 RD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back