VFL Marty Hore - VFL Team of the Year (he's FINALLY been drafted, yay! To Melbourne... :-( )

Remove this Banner Ad

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Perhaps unsurprisingly (actually, it's not surprising in the slightest to those who have been paying attention), Marty Hore has capped off another fantastic season with VFL Team of the Year honours, named in a back pocket just a short time ago.

This makes for back-to-back TOTY jumpers for Hore, having been named in the opposite back pocket in 2017.

And also as with last year, Marty again made it onto the podium for the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal for the best player in the competition under the age of 24:

Josh Corebtt a worth winner of this year's medal, but a phenomenal effort by Marty to be among the final 5 nominees once again.

Draft the boy!

Had a very good year, hopefully someone calls his name during 1 of the drafts this year. Don't think it will or should be us though. Too limited and we're well placed for HBFer's.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Agreed Bucks :thumbsu:

Last edited:
More than our rookie list, Hore is worth a spot on our primary list. People say he is slow, but no slower than Scharenberg... but like Scharenberg he reads the play so well that it negates a lack of pace.

If on our list this year Hore would've played when Moore, Shaz and Howe were all injured late in the home and away season.

We will be missing Dunn and Shaz til mid to late next season. Leaving us Moore (if staying he will possibly be a KPD to cover Dunn's absence), Golddack (does he retire?), Langdon and Howe in that intercept role.

He'd be handy depth as unlike other draftees he's ready made for AFL. Can always trade him later on if surplus to requirement.

More than our rookie list, Hore is worth a spot on our primary list. People say he is slow, but no slower than Scharenberg... but like Scharenberg he reads the play so well that it negates a lack of pace.

If on our list this year Hore would've played when Moore, Shaz and Howe were all injured late in the home and away season.

We will be missing Dunn and Shaz til mid to late next season. Leaving us Moore (if staying he will possibly be a KPD to cover Dunn's absence), Golddack (does he retire?), Langdon and Howe in that intercept role.

He'd be handy depth as unlike other draftees he's ready made for AFL. Can always trade him later on if surplus to requirement.

Going into 2018 our defensive stocks (without getting too creative) included the following:

Dunn
Scharenberg
Goldsack
Madgen
Moore

McLarty
Mihocek
Howe
Langdon
Crisp
Maynard
Murphy
Murray
Oxley

T Brown
Appleby
Reid

Smith

We'll likely add IQ and Kelly and likely lose Smith, Oxley and Murray at years end but the question needs to be asked, how many slow medium defenders do we need to carry?

I've bolded those who were unavailable for selection for longer periods but should we expect that level of injury going forward?

Who in that group would he be ahead of for selection in 2019 given he's essentially competing with Howe, Langdon, Crisp, Maynard, Scharenberg and Murphy for that 3rd-4th-5th defender role?

If he's not a chance to be a 1st choice selection should we recruit a player like Hore as purely depth in a role we already have lots of depth and longer term options already developing?

Going into 2018 our defensive stocks (without getting too creative) included the following:

Dunn
Scharenberg
Goldsack
Madgen
Moore

McLarty
Mihocek
Howe
Langdon
Crisp
Maynard
Murphy
Murray
Oxley

T Brown
Appleby
Reid

Smith

We'll likely add IQ and Kelly and likely lose Smith, Oxley and Murray at years end but the question needs to be asked, how many slow medium defenders do we need to carry?

I've bolded those who were unavailable for selection for longer periods but should we expect that level of injury going forward?

Who in that group would he be ahead of for selection in 2019 given he's essentially competing with Howe, Langdon, Crisp, Maynard, Scharenberg and Murphy for that 3rd-4th-5th defender role?

If he's not a chance to be a 1st choice selection should we recruit a player like Hore as purely depth in a role we already have lots of depth and longer term options already developing?

I think you are comparing apples with pears by listing the whole defensive group.

Crisp, Maynard, Murphy, T Brown, Smith, Magden , Dunn, Appleby, McLarty ..... all play either running rebound, close tagging negater or as a gorilla sized KPD....a very different to the more aerially intercepting mark one that Hore would play.

Of the mid sized intercept types we have:

Sharenberg - out for 12 months and will likely miss all of 2019 due to a very conservative recovery given his history.
Howe
Langdon
Goldsack - more of an intercept spoil than an intercept mark and at this late point in his career he is likely less aerial than before
Reid - can't trust his body to hold up and has been used more as a forward in recent years as there are question marks over his ability in defense these days.
Moore - uniquely able to play KPD, intercept defender or as a switch forward. May be used to plug gaps elsewhere.
Mihocek - will be playing full forward until we land a star KPF
Oxley - Gone. But if he stays he has not been played in that intercept mark role for a long time as he is too easily knocked off the ball.

So for next year we are realistically looking at only Howe, Langdon and perhaps Moore in that high flying intercept mark role... a role of increasing importance in modern footy.

Quaynor is more of an Appleby style defensive negater and Crisp style rebound I would think. Will Kelly will take time and by merit of his frame won't be ready next year.

Like for like....I think the long term injury to Shaz and the reality that like Elliot and Reid that his body cannot be entirely trusted in from here in...this tips the scales further in recruiting Hore... as Hore is a like for like replacement.

What's more, Hore already plays... and excels in.. the defensive system we have. Trains with who would be his future defensive team, etc. Seemless transition.

Anyhow, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But I get a sense that when the time comes the club will still overlook him like they did laat year and he'll end up on an AFL list elsewhere.

I agree, that he is Scharenberg lite and not a bad prospect....a very good reader of the play and intercept mark with a nice left boot. The big difference between him and Berg is that Shaz is very good 1 on 1, even punching above his weight and beating genuine KPF sized players. I dont think Marty is particularly good 1 on 1...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, that he is Scharenberg lite and not a bad prospect....a very good reader of the play and intercept mark with a nice left boot. The big difference between him and Berg is that Shaz is very good 1 on 1, even punching above his weight and beating genuine KPF sized players. I dont think Marty is particularly good 1 on 1...

Yeah, Scharenberg is bigger. Was lighter and more aerial but in recent times he has baulked up a little and in 2018 was being used as an undersized key defender.

I saw Hore and Magden quite undersized at Windy Hill this year when matched up on Stewart and Leunberger. They held their own. But not ideal.

I think you are comparing apples with pears by listing the whole defensive group.

You opened that door when you suggested Hore would be getting a game for Shaz and Moore. He's definitiely not a KPD and that's the role they're playing.

Crisp, Maynard, Murphy, T Brown, Smith, Magden , Dunn, Appleby, McLarty ..... all play either running rebound, close tagging negater or as a gorilla sized KPD....a very different to the more aerially intercepting mark one that Hore would play.

Of the mid sized intercept types we have:

Sharenberg - out for 12 months and will likely miss all of 2019 due to a very conservative recovery given his history.
Howe
Langdon
Goldsack - more of an intercept spoil than an intercept mark and at this late point in his career he is likely less aerial than before
Reid - can't trust his body to hold up and has been used more as a forward in recent years as there are question marks over his ability in defense these days.
Moore - uniquely able to play KPD, intercept defender or as a switch forward. May be used to plug gaps elsewhere.
Mihocek - will be playing full forward until we land a star KPF
Oxley - Gone. But if he stays he has not been played in that intercept mark role for a long time as he is too easily knocked off the ball.

So for next year we are realistically looking at only Howe, Langdon and perhaps Moore in that high flying intercept mark role... a role of increasing importance in modern footy.

Quaynor is more of an Appleby style defensive negater and Crisp style rebound I would think. Will Kelly will take time and by merit of his frame won't be ready next year.

Like for like....I think the long term injury to Shaz and the reality that like Elliot and Reid that his body cannot be entirely trusted in from here in...this tips the scales further in recruiting Hore... as Hore is a like for like replacement.

What's more, Hore already plays... and excels in.. the defensive system we have. Trains with who would be his future defensive team, etc. Seemless transition.

Anyhow, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But I get a sense that when the time comes the club will still overlook him like they did laat year and he'll end up on an AFL list elsewhere.

Marty Hore is listed at 189cm and is as slow as treacle. Is a great mark, even a great contested mark, but he's not a high flying pack crashing mark like Langdon, Howe or Moore.

Excluding those with a more specific KPD role and those smaller defensive options then he'd definitely be fighting for a spot with Crisp (190cm), Langdon (190cm), Howe (190cm), Maynard (189cm), Murphy (190cm), and Tyler Brown (188cm) who'll take 3-4 defensive medium positions in 2019. Due to his limitations (lack of pace, average disposal, and average 1v1) I'd have him behind all those players.

Add his less than stella VFL finals performances and I certainly wouldn't consider him ahead of Wellings, Tardrew and Woodward if I was looking at out VFL team.

Good reward for Hore. Hopefully he gets a chance on an AFL list and hopefully it's not with Carlton. At his height pace and rebound is an issue. Although Hore would be an upgrade on Oxley he'd be fighting Appleby and Langdon for a spot, plus the developing Murphy and T. Brown (both could settle further up the ground though).

You opened that door when you suggested Hore would be getting a game for Shaz and Moore. He's definitiely not a KPD and that's the role they're playing.

Marty Hore is listed at 189cm and is as slow as treacle. Is a great mark, even a great contested mark, but he's not a high flying pack crashing mark like Langdon, Howe or Moore.

Excluding those with a more specific KPD role and those smaller defensive options then he'd definitely be fighting for a spot with Crisp (190cm), Langdon (190cm), Howe (190cm), Maynard (189cm), Murphy (190cm), and Tyler Brown (188cm) who'll take 3-4 defensive medium positions in 2019. Due to his limitations (lack of pace, average disposal, and average 1v1) I'd have him behind all those players.

Add his less than stella VFL finals performances and I certainly wouldn't consider him ahead of Wellings, Tardrew and Woodward if I was looking at out VFL team.

Like I said, agree to disagree about Hores value to our list in 2019... but just want to point out a couple of things.

1) Hore won't be competing with Scharenberg for a spot in 2019 because.... Scharenberg won't be in contention for senior footy in 2019 after 12 months out and time building in the VFL. Won't be no brisk rehab and risky return like there was for Goldsack.

2) Just because Crisp, Maynard, T Brown are 189-190cm doesn't mean they will compete for a spot with Hore any more than they would with 192cm Goldsack or Dunn for a spot... because they play different roles and have different abilities. Crisp, Maynard and T Brown are not full backs and neither are they overhead intercept marking players like Howe, Langdon, Scharenberg and Hore are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back