Rumour Marty Mattner Retirement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest highlights for me, gave excellent service to Adelaide and Sydney enjoy Retirement Marty :thumbsu:

1. His Tackle on Birchall.
2. His tackle on a Richmond player in a match many years ago im sure you guys know what i mean :)

Jack Riewoldt. One of the most ridiculous tackles (given the moment in the game - Richmond storming back and just about to take the lead in the last quarter - and where Mattner had to come from to stick it). He is one of the best tacklers I've seen in the game, that's for sure.

Came to the club as a genuine, attacking rebounder (and came top 2 in his first B&F) but then turned himself into a very good pure defender. Expert at playing the loose man and completely fearless. Just a brilliant servant to the club.

One of my favourites. Very sad to see him hang them up. Extremely happy that a good guy & great clubman has a p'ship medal around his neck.
Gave his all for team mates, club & supporters.
I hope they keep him around the place.
Well done Marty!

Sorry to intrude on your board, was just passing and this thread jumped out at me.

Congratulations Marty (having survived the Bali bombings) on your service with both the Crows and the Swans, and congrats on your flag last year, well deserved.

All the best in retirement.

Maybe a send-off at AAMI this weekend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad news. A vital cog in our backline and one of the most ferocious tacklers I've seen.

Very sad to see him go, but at least he retires with a much deserved premiership.

Good to see that he's actually really content with things. He's made a real good living with footy and will no doubt enjoy whatever he decides to do next.

Thanks for the 100% effort you always gave Marty.

Always sad when a player can't pick his own time to go. Ironic that it should come prior to the Crows match, too.

Hopefully they'll give him a farewell at our next home game. Just as it appeared the premiership was about to slip from our grasp, Marty's tackle secured us a flag.

images

Thanks for the memories Marty!

Thank you for all your work Marty Mattner!!!

You have been a fantastic servent of the Swans and I will always remember you for making several amazing defensive efforts including the most crucial tackle in the history of our great club!!!

That play between 30-40sec was vintage Mattner. The ferocity of the chase and tackle. And the guile to not give a free away and to get the ball over the line. He should be proud of what he's achieved in the AFL.

117 games with Swans, 105 with Crows. Can we look foward to another draft rivalry with them when it comes to father-son?? (edit: 98 games - nevermind!! Suck it Crows!!!)

Loved the way Marty went about it, his chase down tackle on Birchall is up there with the Leo Barry, Nick Malceski GF moments.

Can't thank him enough for that tackle with 90 seconds to go. The first of the 2012 Premiership to retire or leave the club, a sad day for sure. Full respect to him for the commitment he showed to play as long as he did with the injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back