Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst all district clubs would love to see the Maine as a strong side, based upon their performance this year and the rumours, yeah its that time of year already, and they may only be rumours but if they lose the players that are being rumoured to be looking elsewhere they may see 2010 as a good year.

The sad part is that the MCDFL clubs will entice them away with big dollar offers, when the Castlemaine community is no doubt best served by having a strong "Maine team, and a blend of developing and experienced players boosting the district clubs. An even balance, which rarely happens.

If CFC are struggling so much at present, surely that should translate into healthy stocks for the likes of Harcourt, Newstead & co. But Maldon aside, the other local MCDFL clubs have fallen away just as significantly.

The sad part is that the MCDFL clubs will entice them away with big dollar offers, when the Castlemaine community is no doubt best served by having a strong "Maine team, and a blend of developing and experienced players boosting the district clubs. An even balance, which rarely happens.

If CFC are struggling so much at present, surely that should translate into healthy stocks for the likes of Harcourt, Newstead & co. But Maldon aside, the other local MCDFL clubs have fallen away just as significantly.
Just to clear up a fact to get in the way of this fiction and my final comment on castlemaine on this sight. Castlemaine players this year as a rule of thumb were paid far more than they would have got in the MCDFL which is not a league loaded with money anyway. While Harcourt and Newstead have dropped back in some ways both clubs have invested well in juniors and will reap the benefits in years to come while Maldon are benefiting from a strong group of young locals. Money is not always the reason people swap clubs and for juniors to be interested in Castlemaine they need to continue working on a development program. They have alot of work to do and it will take some strong decision making to turn Castlemaine around from where they are now, but good luck to them.

Don't you get touchy about Newstead as well, Rocket. Just saying they were the league big slider as predicted, it's hardly being critical.

I'm not sure why you boys keep wanting to bring up Castlemaine in the MCDFL thread. FYI I've spent as much time in the blue and white as the black and white and they might have had a horror year but I don't remember hearing they were being threatened with folding if a committee didn't come forward as I remember happening not so long ago out there, before you stepped up and saved the place.

All clubs have their ups and downs.

As for the other Black and White, we showed enough this year to show the potential is there and with attracting recruits being easier with a side that has a little more hope than previous years, look out in 2011!

Youre not sure why Castlemaine gets brought up maineman, Well i'm not sure why knuckles like you are even on this thread. In two years of watching this forum, I dont recall one remark coming from you maineman that hasnt been condescending of Newstead, another club or the mcdfl in general. Its the most synical attitude I have seen from anyone and pretty sad for everyone.
Why dont you put your efforts into improving castlemaine and consequently improving football for the entire region. I think all clubs in the region would love to have a higher league team around that was performing well and which worked in with other clubs and Vice Versa. Clearly that doesn't exst today.
You talk about attracting recruits to castlemaine well there are a lot more things that need to change at Castlemaine than just recruiting players. Until the culture and the attitude of the entire club changes they dont stand a chance. Until the players respect themselves, each other and THEIR CLUB nothing will change.

Youre not sure why Castlemaine gets brought up maineman, Well i'm not sure why knuckles like you are even on this thread. In two years of watching this forum, I dont recall one remark coming from you maineman that hasnt been condescending of Newstead, another club or the mcdfl in general. Its the most synical attitude I have seen from anyone and pretty sad for everyone.
Why dont you put your efforts into improving castlemaine and consequently improving football for the entire region. I think all clubs in the region would love to have a higher league team around that was performing well and which worked in with other clubs and Vice Versa. Clearly that doesn't exst today.
You talk about attracting recruits to castlemaine well there are a lot more things that need to change at Castlemaine than just recruiting players. Until the culture and the attitude of the entire club changes they dont stand a chance. Until the players respect themselves, each other and THEIR CLUB nothing will change.

You obviously don't read too closely or you might have noticed that I have been full of support for Campbells Creek all season and as for Newstead my only prediction was that they would have a down year after their flag, which I didn't know was considered a supreme insult on this thread!

And of course the old chestnut about culture and cliques and attitudes come out which is just an example of a chip on the shoulder more than being based in any sort of fact.

As I have said before having spent time at MCDFL clubs and Castlemaine I can tell you that Castlemaine spend zero time thinking or talking about MCDFL clubs, whereas MCDFL clubs spend plenty of time bagging Castlemaine. There is no doubt that many in the MCDFL have an inferiority complex when it comes to Castlemaine.

But anyway it's groundhog day in here so I will leave this argument to rest for good and return to the BFL thread for good.

All the best.

You obviously don't read too closely or you might have noticed that I have been full of support for Campbells Creek all season and as for Newstead my only prediction was that they would have a down year after their flag, which I didn't know was considered a supreme insult on this thread!

And of course the old chestnut about culture and cliques and attitudes come out which is just an example of a chip on the shoulder more than being based in any sort of fact.

As I have said before having spent time at MCDFL clubs and Castlemaine I can tell you that Castlemaine spend zero time thinking or talking about MCDFL clubs, whereas MCDFL clubs spend plenty of time bagging Castlemaine. There is no doubt that many in the MCDFL have an inferiority complex when it comes to Castlemaine.

But anyway it's groundhog day in here so I will leave this argument to rest for good and return to the BFL thread for good.

All the best.

And there enlies the problem. People at the Castlemaine Football Club are in denial to think that there actually is a problem with the culture. Your right maineman it is groundhog day and it will be groundhog day everyday until something changes.

I too have spent time in both leagues and as an ex senior player at Castlemaine it sadens me to see what is going on there at the moment.

When you have the majority of players not prepared to lift a finger to help out their club then YES there is absolutely a problem. I know that the Castlemaine committee work tirelessly to put their team on the field each week and the little amount of respect that is recipricated from players is disgusting.

Everyone wants to see Castlamaine be successful but this wont happen whilst excuses are continually made, instead of action taken.

Guys I have never had to actually 'moderate' anything on this sight. But we are getting borderline here. The debate is reasonably healthy but now we are starting to tit for tat a bit too much. It's MCDFL finals time so surely we have better things to talk about! I have read the same posts about a million times I reckon and we are just going around in circles and starting to get personal now.

Be good to dish out my first 'banning' tho! LOL

Guys I have never had to actually 'moderate' anything on this sight. But we are getting borderline here. The debate is reasonably healthy but now we are starting to tit for tat a bit too much. It's MCDFL finals time so surely we have better things to talk about! I have read the same posts about a million times I reckon and we are just going around in circles and starting to get personal now.

Be good to dish out my first 'banning' tho! LOL

Amen Rich!

How much is the rain gonna effect the results this weekend??? Will it give anyone an added advantage?? Certainly know it will help Bushy in the two's against Avoca on Sunday, after beating them a few weeks back in a bog heap.

Amen Rich!

How much is the rain gonna effect the results this weekend??? Will it give anyone an added advantage?? Certainly know it will help Bushy in the two's against Avoca on Sunday, after beating them a few weeks back in a bog heap.

I don't think it will help Bushy this weekend Johnny unless they bring their flippers and snorkels.

Avoca Footy ground is under water.

Link to Photos on Avoca website.

Footy finals have been called off this weekend.

Tht's the 1st and 2nd semi finals are both off.

I don't think it will help Bushy this weekend Johnny unless they bring their flippers and snorkels.

Avoca Footy ground is under water.

Link to Photos on Avoca website.

Footy finals have been called off this weekend.

Tht's the 1st and 2nd semi finals are both off.

yeah got the text from the league not long after I posted that. That is unbelievable!

I'm not from down your way, so excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me why the games were cancelled? Was it because of the condition of the oval or was it because people could just not get there, we had people stranded that could not even get to the match, or was it something else? Up our way the weather was poor, but no where near calling it off. What happens now? Next Saturday? :thumbsu:

I'm not from down your way, so excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me why the games were cancelled? Was it because of the condition of the oval or was it because people could just not get there, we had people stranded that could not even get to the match, or was it something else? Up our way the weather was poor, but no where near calling it off. What happens now? Next Saturday? :thumbsu:

A bit of both Moose!

If you click on the link to the revised finals schedule, it will explain the reasons.

Also Avoca was to be the venue for the 1st semi final and judging by the photo in the link, I don’t think it will be playable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 day before the semi's and its very quiet on here, lets get some discussion going!
Weekends games:

Saturday - Under 17s - Newstead should prove to strong and Improving Trentham.

Reserves- Carisbrook and Maldon will be close all day, hard to pick a winner but back the undefeated experianced brook boys.

Seniors- Maldon and Avoca should be a closely contested game. Maldons X factor is Tom Cain, stop his dominance, as well as controlling Dave Carrol will go along way towards winnning the game. Julian Lockwood is the key in my oppinion, seen him single handidly win games, and im not sure Avoca's ruck stocks without Hedger can go with him. i think Maldon may be suited in the wet slighlty more than Avoca, but if its dry , well its one of those games - could go either way, for me, Maldon by less a goal.

Sunday-
Rovers Vs Creek - Rovers will win this, were very good last game, and may be the Dark horse in the 17s draw.

Bushy Vs Avoca - Bushies confidence will be sky high, and beating Avoca in the wet a month or so ago will only make them more confident, i think Bushy may get up in a very close one, but it will be close

Carisbrook Vs Rovers - Rovers were dissapointing against Avoca last game, and will be hoping to give a better account. Brook are hitting there straps at the right time, Carisbrook were good last game, and the emergence of Jackson Bowen, Jeremy Mcinnes and Nick wright show a very promising future. The game will be decided in 2 or 3 key match ups. Harris, Sellers and Hind will be the boys on Brooks radar. 2 very big ins for the Brook, Liam Offer is one of the best players in the competition, and will go along way in deciding the game. Brook by 10 points. - thats what my heart says

Bushy Vs Avoca - Bushies confidence will be sky high, and beating Avoca in the wet a month or so ago will only make them more confident, i think Bushy may get up in a very close one, but it will be close

have only heard, but the bushy boys got up by 3 points today which is great. Believe we were up by 5 goals in the 2nd but got pegged back. should be a good game against Maldon next weekend, whom we haven't beaten this year, but haven't had a full strength side on the park against them. I tip it will be within 2 goals either side. And guaranteed, if Bushy get up, Uncle Johnny will be home sinking cans helping us celebrate beating Carisbrook! haha

have only heard, but the bushy boys got up by 3 points today which is great. Believe we were up by 5 goals in the 2nd but got pegged back. should be a good game against Maldon next weekend, whom we haven't beaten this year, but haven't had a full strength side on the park against them. I tip it will be within 2 goals either side. And guaranteed, if Bushy get up, Uncle Johnny will be home sinking cans helping us celebrate beating Carisbrook! haha

This debate has been brought up before, by full strenght team you mean mostly a 1s team playing 2s? with no disrespect to Bushy, who from all reports are a fantastic socal club, i think what the club has done this year is concede 18 or so games in the seniors, to be a competitive 2s team. i actually believe Bushy could of won a few games against the likes of Talbot and Trentham if they had a true 1s team in. Im a twos player, played Maldon on the weekend, they are a 5 goal + better team than Bushy, and by no means will we take whoever wins lightly in the grand final, but honestly - who ever remembers who won the twos premiership, its the senior Flag that really counts, and the way Bushy have approached this year, well they seem to have gone backwards. But good luck with your quest in the twos this year . ps - i was supporting Royal Park today

This debate has been brought up before, by full strenght team you mean mostly a 1s team playing 2s? with no disrespect to Bushy, who from all reports are a fantastic socal club, i think what the club has done this year is concede 18 or so games in the seniors, to be a competitive 2s team. i actually believe Bushy could of won a few games against the likes of Talbot and Trentham if they had a true 1s team in. Im a twos player, played Maldon on the weekend, they are a 5 goal + better team than Bushy, and by no means will we take whoever wins lightly in the grand final, but honestly - who ever remembers who won the twos premiership, its the senior Flag that really counts, and the way Bushy have approached this year, well they seem to have gone backwards. But good luck with your quest in the twos this year . ps - i was supporting Royal Park today

And I'd actually like to answer this debate as I don't think I have before or anyone else has. I watched the Qualifying Final against Harcourt and from what I could tell, there really weren't that many senior blokes playing. Trev Ronke was playing, yes, but once you look past that, there were a lot of blokes that are fringe 1's players. On Trev, he came halfway through the year and was injured, and I believe it was his call to play 2's. And in all honesty, yeh a few of the players probably should've been playing 1's, but when they don't train, do they deserve to play 1's?? It was a disappointing year for the 1's and it has been since Marty Marks left, but no excuses. We will be back, I can assure you of that, hopefully with some juniors to fill the club back up again.

P.S. Who do you think should've been playing 1's??

i drove through the district for the first time in 40 yrs a while back.

i wanted to show my wife the ground and the house i lived in for a while at chewton when i was a kid in the street beside the footy ground.

when i played for rovers i always kicked my biggest bags at chewton and loved it there.

i couldnt see the ground or the street,it sure has changed.

how are rovers going this year?

Rovers won the 1st semi final on the weekend. They finished 3rd on the ladder and lost the Qualifying. They will play Maldon in the Preliminary this weekend.

The Chewton ground was still there on the Pyrenees Hwy last time I looked! They don't play footy there anymore because the football club folded 20 years ago but I think they use it for soccer. Still the power line hanging menacingly over the playing field at one end!!!

No real suprises here i wouldnt think:

2010 Senior Grade MCDFNL Best & Fairest

Matthew Peake C/Creek 25
Shaun Burchell Maldon 19
Tom Cain Maldon 15
Ethan Ford Newstead 15
Matt Hodoras C/Creek 15
Justin Harris M/Rovers 14
Josh Hutchinson Harcourt 14
Brendon Hedger Avoca 13
Matt Giri Harcourt 12

2010 Reserves Grade MCDFNL Best & Fairest

Trevor Field Avoca 30
Jeff Bux Talbot 25
Greg Butler Carisbrook 16
Jason Runnalls Maldon 15
Nick Kinross Maldon 12
Brian Purcell Trentham 12
Darren Smith Royla Park 12
Ken Beith C/Creek 11

Well, massive game this weekend between Maldon and Rovers! Not sure many thought it would be these two teams fighting it out for a spot in the grand final at the start of the year, but they have done exceptionally well to get there!

The wide open spaces of Hedges Oval would have the running brigade of Rovers (Hind, Gillies, etc) salivating, but if the ground is in a similar condition to what it was for the Elimination final it will no doubt bring those lighter framed players back to the pack and allow the bigger bodied Bombers onballers to do their thing!

It will be a tough one to pick, but if its wet i would be going with Maldon, but nice dry conditions may just see Maldon go out in straight sets... So i'm thinking it will be an Avoca v Rovers grand final next week!

Wasnt a good day for the maldon lads last week but I dont agree with the conditions suiting either team. I think that the game will be won in the centre and Maldons Ruckmen of simon McClure and wayne Bell will have to hold their own against a Dion Hedger who is pretty handy. I think if they break even maldon will win as they will be slightly stronger around the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.