Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

We just keep flat out refusing to recruit real inside midfielders. Yet our problem since way back when has been winning contested ball.

Are the recruiters and list managers dumb enough to think that Naitanui can continue to paper over the cracks?

I wonder if its because of some obsession with 'flexibility', which just seems to have translated into 'players who don't really have a role at AFL level'.

Sure, you could argue that Nelson is one, but he'd be no more an inside mid than Adam Selwood was. Duggan and Parto will struggle to be on ballers though both should be handy running accumulators. Sheed alone doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence once Priddis and Mitchell go.

Not taking Blakely despite our need for players like him indicates how low the club values inside mids. Obviously he can be poor by foot but so are most of our players when they bang it on the boot at the slightest hint of a contest. "Tom Lamb - not sure what we'll do with him, but hey maybe that's a good thing!"

All this despite Simpson constantly saying last year that we need players who can do the heavy lifting. I'm not sure what he expects or whether the recruiters, list managers and coaches are all on the same page.

The player development guys are due a roast too. No one seems to come on under our systems. For all our Duggan hype he has arguably regressed in his 2 years at the club, admittedly with a knee injury thrown in. What happened to the guy from the Port Adelaide game who cracked in and excited us with his running through the middle of the ground?

Nello has shown a bit but if I stand aside from the sponsor shiz he has a long way to go and his best attribute has nothing to do with his development as a player.

We all know that our recruitment was awful for a few years there but it's concerning we have so little to show since Simpson has come on board and players he has had a hand in selecting haven't looked like having an impact as b22 players.

Fingers crossed Jetta steps up this year.

We just keep flat out refusing to recruit real inside midfielders. Yet our problem since way back when has been winning contested ball.

Are the recruiters and list managers dumb enough to think that Naitanui can continue to paper over the cracks?

I wonder if its because of some obsession with 'flexibility', which just seems to have translated into 'players who don't really have a role at AFL level'.

Sure, you could argue that Nelson is one, but he'd be no more an inside mid than Adam Selwood was. Duggan and Parto will struggle to be on ballers though both should be handy running accumulators. Sheed alone doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence once Priddis and Mitchell go.

Not taking Blakely despite our need for players like him indicates how low the club values inside mids. Obviously he can be poor by foot but so are most of our players when they bang it on the boot at the slightest hint of a contest. "Tom Lamb - not sure what we'll do with him, but hey maybe that's a good thing!"

All this despite Simpson constantly saying last year that we need players who can do the heavy lifting. I'm not sure what he expects or whether the recruiters, list managers and coaches are all on the same page.
I'm not sure that they know what they're doing to be honest. It's pretty obvious that we need guys that can win their own ball and create for others and yet we don't seem to have drafted anyone like that apart from Shuey despite our recent focus on drafting mids.
We need some more players in our midfield who can genuinely influence the game, not more of the same bland, hardworking guys with good character. It's part of the reason I wanted us to take SPP, I think he will eventually be someone who has ability to take over the game for stretches.

I'm not sure that they know what they're doing to be honest. It's pretty obvious that we need guys that can win their own ball and create for others and yet we don't seem to have drafted anyone like that apart from Shuey despite our recent focus on drafting mids.
We need some more players in our midfield who can genuinely influence the game, not more of the same bland, hardworking guys with good character. It's part of the reason I wanted us to take SPP, I think he will eventually be someone who has ability to take over the game for stretches.
Yeah I'm not going to judge on Venables over Pepper Shaker yet because I haven't seen them play.

Masten is rubbish ! ok that said..if he plays 10+ games this year its indicative of our list and our recruitment. Every year we should have one new draftee at least who is pushing into the 22 and if we don't...well we're passengers in the race to a flag.

once priddis and JK are gone we might be in a bit of a hole. we would have a few good mids in shuey and Gaff but will need guys like sheed, duggan, parto, venables and more to come on heaps so that we could be some what competitive. I can see us sinking to the bottom without a strong KPF and an underwhelming mids. In my opinion this might not be a bad thing for the long term as it gives a chance to rebuild and build a side that could win a premiership in the years to come. I think as good as 2011 was, another season or 2 at the bottom would have enabled us to get a few quality mids. 2011 would have been good if we didn't regress in 2012 and waste 2013 and 2014.

once priddis and JK are gone we might be in a bit of a hole. we would have a few good mids in shuey and Gaff but will need guys like sheed, duggan, parto, venables and more to come on heaps so that we could be some what competitive. I can see us sinking to the bottom without a strong KPF and an underwhelming mids. In my opinion this might not be a bad thing for the long term as it gives a chance to rebuild and build a side that could win a premiership in the years to come. I think as good as 2011 was, another season or 2 at the bottom would have enabled us to get a few quality mids. 2011 would have been good if we didn't regress in 2012 and waste 2013 and 2014.
2012, the only reason we weren't top 4 is because of JK's ankle. Everything else I agree with. We were considerably better in 2012 than 2011 despite not finishing higher.

I don't see many future A-Graders on our list right now.

378682-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Whilst I have questions over our recruiting and development too, it's early days on a few players. Duggan is likely to become a very good player. I know last year wasn't great but he was an underage, second year player coming off an injury. We have seen the glimpses of his skill set and I would back him in. Sheed also looks the goods. He won't be the extractor Priddis is, but who is? His inside work is good and he is still developing and is more rounded than Priddis, although too early to say if he will be as good. Venables by all accounts looks like a good pick up. Nelson shows a bit of mongrel and could be a decent mid rotation and Partington still has time etc. All of that said, and I am not a Masten hater, Masten's display on Saturday was terrible. He is borderline best 22 now and I think he will be under a lot or pressure to hold his place this year and going forward.

There definitely has never been a shortage of Duggan hype on this board.

Can only imagine the melts if he ends up being average and not our saviour. Swifts first 20 odd games were very good too from memory.

Yes i know he's "a year younger than everyone else.." save that chesnut for next time.

Personally i'm more smug about what we have with Venables rather than Duggan. Big Dustin Martin fan.

We might get a better player, but I don't have faith that he will get dropped. I just think it's going to be business as usual this year, games for the vets whilst more deserving guys play in the wafl.
At the end of the day it's all up to simmo. I think simmo panicked a bit last year and rushed players in and was hesitant on dropping players. Interesting to see if he does drop senior players if he have a healthy list and players performing for ep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day it's all up to simmo. I think simmo panicked a bit last year and rushed players in and was hesitant on dropping players. Interesting to see if he does drop senior players if he have a healthy list and players performing for ep.

I hope Simmo gives the players a bit more rope to take the game on this year, especially when the flow of play is against us. Between low confidence and seemingly inflexible structures we just couldn't seem to swing momentum when it was against us. We have some impact type players on the list - Yeo, Jetta, Wellingham - but only Shuey and JK seem able to reliably lift a gear.

There definitely has never been a shortage of Duggan hype on this board.

Can only imagine the melts if he ends up being average and not our saviour. Swifts first 20 odd games were very good too from memory.

Yes i know he's "a year younger than everyone else.." save that chesnut for next time.

Personally i'm more smug about what we have with Venables rather than Duggan. Big Dustin Martin fan.
IMHO Venables has elite characteristics and has a higher ceiling but he could also be an low production player hff in the mould of Matt white or Jetta. While Duggan doesn't have that talent he could be become a decent HB flanker at worst. I think duggan being played out of position on a forward flank as well. He's a Natural half back flanker and should be in defence when not in a wing or in the middle. He'll also be a nice kick coming out of defence.

Hopefully for our sake we get some of these young kids realising their potential.

I hope Simmo gives the players a bit more rope to take the game on this year, especially when the flow of play is against us. Between low confidence and seemingly inflexible structures we just couldn't seem to swing momentum when it was against us. We have some impact type players on the list - Yeo, Jetta, Wellingham - but only Shuey and JK seem able to reliably lift a gear.
I have confidence in Jetta and Weller's and they looked on during the weekends game. I think Yeo can be complacent and I'm not sure how he will pan out. I still rekon he should be developed to play on a wing or half back. Like you said he can break open games apart and players able to do that in the middle are worth their weight in gold. Maybe he might have to move into defence when not in the middle as well as he is comfortable in defence. He said that he strugged to grasp playing as a mid/fwd. I would like to see him given one more season to see if he can be turned into a midfielder. The fact that he has Priddis, Mitchell, Shuey, gaff and sheed above him in the pecking order could be a blessing in disguise and could give him the freedom to take the game on.

I think duggan being played out of position on a forward flank as well. He's a Natural half back flanker and should be in defence when not in a wing or in the middle.
Seems to be a recurring pattern with our recruiters

Seems like everyone wants a defence like

-----------------------------------------------------Barass (FB)-------------------------------------------
Wellingham (HBF) - Duggan (HBF) - Sheppard (HBF) - McGovern (CHB) - Jetta (HBF) - Yeo (HBF) - Mitchell (HBF)

What if we get the guys left and right from Gov to stand a couple of metres back and to the side and we do the Flying V with Barrass bouncing the footy and the others running interference on front? :D

Seems like everyone wants a defence like

-----------------------------------------------------Barass (FB)-------------------------------------------
Wellingham (HBF) - Duggan (HBF) - Sheppard (HBF) - McGovern (CHB) - Jetta (HBF) - Yeo (HBF) - Mitchell (HBF)
Black-Cat-Gives-You-The-Thumbs-Up-Of-Approval.gif

Master unfortunately is a victim of the Worsfold era recruiting

This era was riddled with athletes first, footballers second. The football department at this time made a call on the direction of the game that was wrong. They thought they needed guys that could run all day, but this does not necessarily translate to footy skills.

Look at the hawks and Geelong. Traditional highly skilled footballers, then they develop a strong fitness base

Whilst I have questions over our recruiting and development too, it's early days on a few players. Duggan is likely to become a very good player. I know last year wasn't great but he was an underage, second year player coming off an injury. We have seen the glimpses of his skill set and I would back him in. Sheed also looks the goods. He won't be the extractor Priddis is, but who is? His inside work is good and he is still developing and is more rounded than Priddis, although too early to say if he will be as good. Venables by all accounts looks like a good pick up. Nelson shows a bit of mongrel and could be a decent mid rotation and Partington still has time etc. All of that said, and I am not a Masten hater, Masten's display on Saturday was terrible. He is borderline best 22 now and I think he will be under a lot or pressure to hold his place this year and going forward.
I think when we finished stone motherless last during Woosha's regime and consequently at the following draft when WCE should have got first preference we were penalised (amongst many other teams), as that was when Gold Coast and GWS came on the scene and were being gifted all the best players. Because of this we needed to be able to pick up players during the trade period (like many of the other teams did) but unfortunately have difficulty in luring players west because of the travel factor I presume. This has set us back - not sure if it's completely accurate but it is my recollection but there may be other reasons? Drafting players is a bit like buying a pig in a poke - some come on and others don't. It's a lottery!!

I think when we finished stone motherless last during Woosha's regime and consequently at the following draft when WCE should have got first preference we were penalised (amongst many other teams), as that was when Gold Coast and GWS came on the scene and were being gifted all the best players. Because of this we needed to be able to pick up players during the trade period (like many of the other teams did) but unfortunately have difficulty in luring players west because of the travel factor I presume. This has set us back - not sure if it's completely accurate but it is my recollection but there may be other reasons? Drafting players is a bit like buying a pig in a poke - some come on and others don't. It's a lottery!!
Can't fault the 2010 draft tho. We picked up gaff, darling, lycett and Gov. 3 of the blokes are very good and one has the potential to be a 150 gamer.

Looking at the GWS game i dont think Partington is up to scratch.I think we wasted a top pick on him.Lamb is a dud.I hope Venables is better than his intro tape,poor disposal.Maston comes into the game when the whole team lifts and we start hitting the contest harder.More room outside the contest.But frankly id be looking at Lecras to go as well.Most people on BF put him in their 18; i dont.The game is so tight and in close you need good skills left and right [ Ablett quoted in the Sunday Times says he cant believe there are still people running around who cant kick both feet ] The real biggie to me is poise,players who have or appear to have that bit of extra time which is why Duggan is rated.Jackson Nelson has bulked up and looked very composed;good skills and capable left and right.Bayok looked fast and composed;could Jetta be back??? Pleasssseee God!! The main question i must ask;; who is going to lose their possie to Watson?? A star is born!

Can't fault the 2010 draft tho. We picked up gaff, darling, lycett and Gov. 3 of the blokes are very good and one has the potential to be a 150 gamer.

All of them have the potential mate, Darling and Gaff should reach 150 games this season.

Lycett has played 49 games, Gov 55. You'd like to think they'll both play another 5-6 seasons to reach that milestone eventually as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back