Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Bombers

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke to a local historian about it, apparently the Saint controversy predated us becoming the Saints. Some old postcards and photos have Saint Kilda written on them so I don't know if that's a mistake by assumption too or that Snt Kilda is like how we pronounce Melbin instead of Mell-Born. It's very possible that it's just become a thing through laziness of elocution. Pran, Tralgon, Jahlong, Can-bra -we rename everything to save energy.

Lady of StKilda was purchased and named by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, and when the ship visited Melbourne, both the suburb and the street were named. Even though Acland no longer owned the ship. Also the name Dyke is why StKilda is a popular place for the GLBT community... uh..sorry i made that up.

Acland's direct descendent was a drummer, who unfortunately died in 1996, otherwise Gringo could ask him how to pronounce StKilda.

A compressed sound, like telling someone to shhhh but then cut off at the end.

S....H....silent I......T

Sht

That could be correct, Sean Connery told me that before he passed away.
Sean is pronounced Shaun you millennials out there.
Though i'm sure that in 50 years there will be much debate about it.

Never seen a forum so direly in need for round 1 to come.

Suppose it’s a good thing we put the bombers away and all that we’re arguing about is etymology (fancy word for the historical meaning of words for all you public school plebs out there), and not the degree to which we are a rabble. Hell even the media is beginning to get onboard (as band wagoners do).

I’m almost hoping Norf continues their preseason form and wipes us out just so there’s something to complain about.

Anywho, can’t wait to verse the Cats ;)

Suppose it’s a good thing we put the bombers away and all that we’re arguing about is etymology (fancy word for the historical meaning of words for all you public school plebs out there), and not the degree to which we are a rabble. Hell even the media is beginning to get onboard (as band wagoners do).

I’m almost hoping Norf continues their preseason form and wipes us out just so there’s something to complain about.

wwoooaaahh, I saw what you did there........;)

You minger

1709001485909.gif

Agree the board needs round 1 asap but....

I hope we give it to North dry and get a membership jump of 5k next week!!!!!!

Let the wagon jumpers get on board the Saynt Snt St Lettuce growing spelling bee thesaurus exploring Saints train!!!!!!!!!!

Clear the track boys!!!!!!!
train GIF

Why would they name it after an island then pronounce it differently? Why would you even think that ? Seriously, you knew the guy, how can you make judgement about him?

Further back in History, seems the island may have actually been renamed by accident.
Perhaps the best pronunciation is Skildar, which is easy enough to say in the pub after many beers.

Some names that use it ( StJohn, StJames ) do it either way. But they tend to use a period if its pronounced "Saint" (St.John vs StJohn , the latter normally pronounced Sinjon ).

----------------------------------------
Maclean (1972) further suggests that the Dutch simply made a cartographical error, and confused Hirta with Skildar, the old name for Haskeir island much nearer the main Outer Hebrides archipelago.[19][note 3] Quine (2000) hypothesises that the name is derived from a series of cartographical errors, starting with the use of the Old Icelandic Skildir ('shields') and appearing as Skildar on a map by Nicholas de Nicolay (1583). This, so the hypothesis goes, was transcribed in error by the Dutch cartographer Lucas Janszoon Waghenaer in his 1592 charts without the trailing r and with a full stop after the S, creating S.Kilda. This was in turn assumed to stand for a saint by others, creating the form that has been used for several centuries, St Kilda

I blame Paul Kelly

I read about how some linguistics expert and lexicographer reckoned that Shakespeare should be read in a Kiwi accent because that's the most authentic to how people in England spoke in the Tudor period. Can't remember how they'd come to that conclusion.

Was happy with your post and then you've triggered me with "verse," you absolute plonker!! I know its a supposed to be a joke, but you went too far. A term for a component of a song or poem does not a sporting term make. I know you know that, but you couldn't help yourself, could you?

By the way, its Sin Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read about how some linguistics expert and lexicographer reckoned that Shakespeare should be read in a Kiwi accent because that's the most authentic to how people in England spoke in the Tudor period. Can't remember how they'd come to that conclusion.

“To be, or not to be, that is the question hey bro”

You should do reality TV on your life. You're like a new age Mr Bean - just meandering about talking to local historians, then the next day you're excavating the backyard to help the local museum and after that's done you do some light reading about linguistics.

It's unbelievable.

I spoke to a local historian about it, apparently the Saint controversy predated us becoming the Saints. Some old postcards and photos have Saint Kilda written on them so I don't know if that's a mistake by assumption too or that Snt Kilda is like how we pronounce Melbin instead of Mell-Born. It's very possible that it's just become a thing through laziness of elocution. Pran, Tralgon, Jahlong, Can-bra -we rename everything to save energy.
If "St" doesn't mean Saint, then where the hell does "Snt" come from then? Should either be Skildar, like it was originally in the 15th century or Saint Kilda. Can't have a random Snt word in there without it being a bastardised (lazy) version of Saint.

For what it's worth, I use both Saint and Snt interchangeably depending on how I'm feeling.

Also I'll die on the Parmi hill, parma can get ****ed. I also loved polony as a kid, bought some a few months back and all I could taste was dog food.

As for the game the other day, it was very pleasing. Higgins still scares me in front of goals though.

If "St" doesn't mean Saint, then where the hell does "Snt" come from then? Should either be Skildar, like it was originally in the 15th century or Saint Kilda. Can't have a random Snt word in there without it being a bastardised (lazy) version of Saint.

For what it's worth, I use both Saint and Snt interchangeably depending on how I'm feeling.

Also I'll die on the Parmi hill, parma can get ****ed. I also loved polony as a kid, bought some a few months back and all I could taste was dog food.

As for the game the other day, it was very pleasing. Higgins still scares me in front of goals though.
'Snt' is St spelled phonetically. It's not a word just how the St in St Kilda is pronounced.

Just watched half of it, thought the commenters ripping the commentators might have been a bit harsh but it was not good my dudes. Special comments had a real "special" feel to them.

"I would say like half the boys would probably love to wear the baby blue."

"Ess-Uh-Dun will probably look to play it safe in the last minutes of this quarter" (they're down 50-17...)

Laverde is just a waste of a list spot, he's a bit of struggler, happy for Essendon to keep offering him contracts.

Wilson looks ready to go at AFL level.

Garcia looks ready to go at AFL level.

Henry came to life in that 2nd half.

Midfield definitely looked like Steele then daylight to our next best mid, wouldn't mind seeing Owens at a fair few centre bounces then after drifting forward.

Pretty scrappy looking first half and the forward line wasn't quite functioning as you'd hope but beats being a basket case of a forward line like Essendon.

Back