Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Bombers

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto. I've already had my answer from the bloke I engaged but one more time for those who are a bit slower:
He'd have two accounts. One for moderating, one for general posting that could be ignored.
Not sure why you feel the need to chime in on something you don't understand. Concentrate your efforts on getting that cap you covet so badly.

When you get to his posts, close your eyes tight, stick your fingers in your ears and yell la la lala la really loudly.

The c in McGuire is actually silent so it's pronounced sh*tc*nt.

I am in tears

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Speaking of drafts, last years draft was supposed to be the weakest on record, but we seemed to have landed some very good talent were 3 maybe four could have a crack of seniors this year.

Either the draft wasn't as weak as some said, we drafted particularly well or a combo of both (which I would posit)
Seems to me that pundits only rate a draft on the small handful of elite top liners.
Shifter is about the only one that speaks to the depth of it, and SOS said from the get-go that we rated last year's highly.

As shown there are good players all through it, just at different stages of development. It helps that we can afford the time now for them to grow into it.

Seems to me that pundits only rate a draft on the small handful of elite top liners.
Shifter is about the only one that speaks to the depth of it, and SOS said from the get-go that we rated last year's highly.

As shown there are good players all through it, just at different stages of development. It helps that we can afford the time now for them to grow into it.
It seems incredibly unlikely that there could be very few good footballers born during a year across the country.
I'd love to hear the recruiters rationale for the claim. They claim it most years i reckon. Probably just job protection if they pick poorly or they've don't develop at the club.

Agree on Pou.
I think one of Wilson’s best attributes is his footy brain. Genuinely good footballer with incredible athletic traits. Excellent season all the way through last year. I have no idea why clubs dropped off him.
Clubs didn't drop off of Wilson. All the NGA/FS picks pushed him out, GWS reached a mile for Gothard and Melbourne a bit for Tholstrop with question marks over Oliver and Brayshaw.
We were always very likely to land one of Wilson, Leake or Windsor.

It seems incredibly unlikely that there could be very few good footballers born during a year across the country.
I'd love to hear the recruiters rationale for the claim. They claim it most years i reckon. Probably just job protection if they pick poorly or they've don't develop at the club.
You need to average 4 recruits a year to keep up with attrition.
Top 10 usually picks itself so the work goes into the sifting for gold dust in the later rounds.
We selected Hastie ahead of Simpson then Hugo 15 picks later. That's where it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs didn't drop off of Wilson. All the NGA/FS picks pushed him out, GWS reached a mile for Gothard and Melbourne a bit for Tholstrop with question marks over Oliver and Brayshaw.
We were always very likely to land one of Wilson, Leake or Windsor.
Not in September

The real top end was shallow then a huge pool of even.

After seeing how shook people were with the snt kilda news wait until they hear they've been saying Eddie McGuire wrong all these years.

The c in McGuire is actually silent so it's pronounced sh*tc*nt.
That's gold mate😊
I must ask tho out of politeness of course...
Do you prefer your Username pronounced with a Saint Cicatriz or a Snt. Cicatriz? x

Suburb named after ship, ship named after Island, Island pronounced the way they say it.

Then again, its scottish, Gordon calls stones "stooons".

This is the point that Barrels misses - the suburb was named after the boat, so the question is how did Captain Acland pronounce the name of his boat. I’ll bet it was Saint Kilda, but we’ll probably never know.

Of course the nightmare scenario was that he had some pirate influence and then the pronunciation becomes St Kidarrrrgh!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

All this Saint v Sint v Snt v St stuff gets fuelled by our nickname of The Saints.

If only we’d stayed The Seagulls we fans and the media could have happily snted together for all eternity.

All this Saint v Sint v Snt v St stuff gets fuelled by our nickname of The Saints.

If only we’d stayed The Seagulls we fans and the media could have happily snted together for all eternity.

I spoke to a local historian about it, apparently the Saint controversy predated us becoming the Saints. Some old postcards and photos have Saint Kilda written on them so I don't know if that's a mistake by assumption too or that Snt Kilda is like how we pronounce Melbin instead of Mell-Born. It's very possible that it's just become a thing through laziness of elocution. Pran, Tralgon, Jahlong, Can-bra -we rename everything to save energy.

Oh ffs have just discovered that you wánkers call polony, “Devon” (?).
WTAF is wrong with you?

Oh ffs have just discovered that you wánkers call polony, “Devon” (?).
WTAF is wrong with you?

View attachment 1913430

I spoke to a local historian about it, apparently the Saint controversy predated us becoming the Saints. Some old postcards and photos have Saint Kilda written on them so I don't know if that's a mistake by assumption too or that Snt Kilda is like how we pronounce Melbin instead of Mell-Born. It's very possible that it's just become a thing through laziness of elocution. Pran, Tralgon, Jahlong, Can-bra -we rename everything to save energy.
It is a curious thing... in an effort to save a few vowels and consonants we will spend hours trying to convince others to conform.

Btw, it's S'nkilduh

I don’t doubt that.

However we live in the modern world and those people who we complain are mispronouncing our name have no interest in little Scottish islands or old ships. The fact we call ourselves the Saints would lead most people to think we are Saint Kilda.

We fans understand the whole ‘snt’ pronunciation but I can understand why those who don’t give a toss about our club are nonplussed by it all.

This is the point that Barrels misses - the suburb was named after the boat, so the question is how did Captain Acland pronounce the name of his boat. I’ll bet it was Saint Kilda, but we’ll probably never know.

Of course the nightmare scenario was that he had some pirate influence and then the pronunciation becomes St Kidarrrrgh!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would they name it after an island then pronounce it differently? Why would you even think that ? Seriously, you knew the guy, how can you make judgement about him?

Further back in History, seems the island may have actually been renamed by accident.
Perhaps the best pronunciation is Skildar, which is easy enough to say in the pub after many beers.

Some names that use it ( StJohn, StJames ) do it either way. But they tend to use a period if its pronounced "Saint" (St.John vs StJohn , the latter normally pronounced Sinjon ).

----------------------------------------
Maclean (1972) further suggests that the Dutch simply made a cartographical error, and confused Hirta with Skildar, the old name for Haskeir island much nearer the main Outer Hebrides archipelago.[19][note 3] Quine (2000) hypothesises that the name is derived from a series of cartographical errors, starting with the use of the Old Icelandic Skildir ('shields') and appearing as Skildar on a map by Nicholas de Nicolay (1583). This, so the hypothesis goes, was transcribed in error by the Dutch cartographer Lucas Janszoon Waghenaer in his 1592 charts without the trailing r and with a full stop after the S, creating S.Kilda. This was in turn assumed to stand for a saint by others, creating the form that has been used for several centuries, St Kilda

I blame Paul Kelly

Back