Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Bombers

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not fussed with the whole Saint, Snt, St bizzo, but this sh1t makes my blood instantly boil. Bet tomjode would be pissed about it as well.
Hearing kids say this all the time in the stands makes me want to beat the ever loving shite outs their parents.
Yes...Yes it does. I am of the stern opinion that If you are unable to speak or write with legible credibility, then shut the f*CK up...and come back when you have grasped the actions required to express your thoughts.
And just for my 2c worth (and the small Icelandic/Norwegian part of my mish-mashed genetics) I quite like the Skilder and shield concept. Like you, Scrappy I don't really care...but the conversation has broken up the boredom of work and the long dreary Irish winter)

Last edited:
This is the point that Barrels misses - the suburb was named after the boat, so the question is how did Captain Acland pronounce the name of his boat. I’ll bet it was Saint Kilda, but we’ll probably never know.

Of course the nightmare scenario was that he had some pirate influence and then the pronunciation becomes St Kidarrrrgh!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
ferris youre still here GIF

I read about how some linguistics expert and lexicographer reckoned that Shakespeare should be read in a Kiwi accent because that's the most authentic to how people in England spoke in the Tudor period. Can't remember how they'd come to that conclusion.

So did Shakespeare fancy a bight of fush n chups, and maybe sex dumsums?

If "St" doesn't mean Saint, then where the hell does "Snt" come from then? Should either be Skildar, like it was originally in the 15th century or Saint Kilda. Can't have a random Snt word in there without it being a bastardised (lazy) version of Saint.

For what it's worth, I use both Saint and Snt interchangeably depending on how I'm feeling.

Also I'll die on the Parmi hill, parma can get ****ed. I also loved polony as a kid, bought some a few months back and all I could taste was dog food.

As for the game the other day, it was very pleasing. Higgins still scares me in front of goals though.

Garbage.
It was named after a ship with pronounciation Snt.

Unlike St Albans , its not named after something that's named after a Saint.
There was no Saint named Kilda , so why would it be a saint?
The whole history of the island and the name is on wikipedia.

Its just stupid scottish stuff.

Hey Emma seems like a reliable source but so does Oxford: st-kilda - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

It also circles back to my original question. Where did the Snt come from if not from Saint?

I reckon Oxford put "sent" in red because its dodgy.

Various theories have been proposed for the origin of the word Kilda, which dates from the late 16th century. No saint is known by the name.[17] Haswell-Smith (2004) notes that the full name St Kilda first appears on a Dutch map dated 1666, and that it might have been derived from Norse sunt kelda ('sweet wellwater') or from a mistaken Dutch assumption that the spring Tobar Childa was dedicated to a saint. (Tobar Childa is a tautological placename, consisting of the Gaelic and Norse words for well, i.e., 'well well').[3] Martin Martin, who visited in 1697, believed that the name "is taken from one Kilder, who lived here; and from him the large well Toubir-Kilda has also its name".[18]

1580 Carte of Scotlande showing Hyrth (i.e. Hirta) at left and Skaldar (Haskeir) to the north east
Maclean (1972) similarly suggests it comes from a corruption of the Old Norse name for the spring on Hirta, Childa, and states that a 1588 map identifies the archipelago as Kilda. He also speculates that it refers to the Culdees, anchorites who might have brought Christianity to the island, or be a corruption of the Gaelic name, Hirta, for the main island of the group, since the islanders tended to pronounce r as l, and thus habitually referred to the island as Hilta.[19] Steel (1988) adds weight to the idea, noting that the islanders pronounced the H with a "somewhat guttural quality", making the sound they used for Hirta "almost" Kilta.[20] Similarly, St Kilda speakers interviewed by the School of Scottish Studies in the 1960s show individual speakers using t-initial forms, leniting to /h/, e.g. ann an Tirte ([ˈan̪ˠən̪ˠ ˈtʰʲirˠʃt̪ʲə]) and gu Hirte ([kə ˈhirˠʃt̪ʲə]).[21]

Maclean (1972) further suggests that the Dutch simply made a cartographical error, and confused Hirta with Skildar, the old name for Haskeir island much nearer the main Outer Hebrides archipelago.[19][note 3] Quine (2000) hypothesises that the name is derived from a series of cartographical errors, starting with the use of the Old Icelandic Skildir ('shields') and appearing as Skildar on a map by Nicholas de Nicolay (1583). This, so the hypothesis goes, was transcribed in error by the Dutch cartographer Lucas Janszoon Waghenaer in his 1592 charts without the trailing r and with a full stop after the S, creating S.Kilda. This was in turn assumed to stand for a saint by others, creating the form that has been used for several centuries, St Kilda.[22][23][note 4]

I reckon Oxford put "sent" in red because its dodgy.

Various theories have been proposed for the origin of the word Kilda, which dates from the late 16th century. No saint is known by the name.[17] Haswell-Smith (2004) notes that the full name St Kilda first appears on a Dutch map dated 1666, and that it might have been derived from Norse sunt kelda ('sweet wellwater') or from a mistaken Dutch assumption that the spring Tobar Childa was dedicated to a saint. (Tobar Childa is a tautological placename, consisting of the Gaelic and Norse words for well, i.e., 'well well').[3] Martin Martin, who visited in 1697, believed that the name "is taken from one Kilder, who lived here; and from him the large well Toubir-Kilda has also its name".[18]

1580 Carte of Scotlande showing Hyrth (i.e. Hirta) at left and Skaldar (Haskeir) to the north east
Maclean (1972) similarly suggests it comes from a corruption of the Old Norse name for the spring on Hirta, Childa, and states that a 1588 map identifies the archipelago as Kilda. He also speculates that it refers to the Culdees, anchorites who might have brought Christianity to the island, or be a corruption of the Gaelic name, Hirta, for the main island of the group, since the islanders tended to pronounce r as l, and thus habitually referred to the island as Hilta.[19] Steel (1988) adds weight to the idea, noting that the islanders pronounced the H with a "somewhat guttural quality", making the sound they used for Hirta "almost" Kilta.[20] Similarly, St Kilda speakers interviewed by the School of Scottish Studies in the 1960s show individual speakers using t-initial forms, leniting to /h/, e.g. ann an Tirte ([ˈan̪ˠən̪ˠ ˈtʰʲirˠʃt̪ʲə]) and gu Hirte ([kə ˈhirˠʃt̪ʲə]).[21]

Maclean (1972) further suggests that the Dutch simply made a cartographical error, and confused Hirta with Skildar, the old name for Haskeir island much nearer the main Outer Hebrides archipelago.[19][note 3] Quine (2000) hypothesises that the name is derived from a series of cartographical errors, starting with the use of the Old Icelandic Skildir ('shields') and appearing as Skildar on a map by Nicholas de Nicolay (1583). This, so the hypothesis goes, was transcribed in error by the Dutch cartographer Lucas Janszoon Waghenaer in his 1592 charts without the trailing r and with a full stop after the S, creating S.Kilda. This was in turn assumed to stand for a saint by others, creating the form that has been used for several centuries, St Kilda.[22][23][note 4]
Haha I've read all that. I know there is no "Saint" Kilda but none of this explains why it is now called Snt Kilda unless it stems from the word Saint. If St means snt why can't we just cut out the middle man and just say Skilda like the Norsemen?
As I said earlier, I do say Snt Kilda but I also sometimes say Saint Kilda. I don't think either one is wrong or either one is right. But to say it's Snt, just because, is clutching at straws.
Either way, probably gonna end on a let's agree to disagree 🤝

Never seen a forum so direly in need for round 1 to come.

Suppose it’s a good thing we put the bombers away and all that we’re arguing about is etymology (fancy word for the historical meaning of words for all you public school plebs out there), and not the degree to which we are a rabble. Hell even the media is beginning to get onboard (as band wagoners do).

I’m almost hoping Norf continues their preseason form and wipes us out just so there’s something to complain about.

Anywho, can’t wait to verse the Cats ;)

you have sure hit the nail on the head

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, lets move on now.

You know, you could, call me crazy here, just close the thread and force the issue?

Nah, let's continue to ask nicely as if that works ever...

Also, I always assumed the St was short for street, given I've seen many a woman offering services in St Kilda it made sense, as when in Rome...

Back