• AFL & Trigg hung Rendell out to dry-Extradite them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AD played a sole hand in this… and his sex life

• Trigg solely to blame-He will stop at nothing

• I will vote for Slippery Pete-‘winning’ policy

• Situation? What situation? Handled perfectly!

• Rendell is racist. He invented the 3 point line!

• Trigg; the Angel Saint of the AFC-Can do no wrong

• AD hated Matt; wanted him gone- The AFC bent over

• KONY2012

• My vote doesn't count…no white parent

• Jack Watts

• man_patto

• Who cares! Where's WALL-e?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone really surprised? Trigg has been screwing the club for years.

The brand didn’t matter too much when it was Trigg calling the supporters pathetic.

To those who say Trigg had no choice in forcing Rendell to resign because of AFL pressure, brand image, untenable, mud, blah blah blah, etc. I have a question:

Now that Rendell has been given the opportunity to explain his comments, what % of people (either in the media or in real life) would you say are still on the "he's a racist!" bandwagon?

10% maybe?

So why the **** couldn't Trigg have just let Rendell explain himself on Friday? The AFC would have come out looking united and strong in support of our man, Rendell would've cleared up the issue for most people (thus preventing any mud), and the only ones to look bad would be Vlad and the AFL.

To those who say Trigg had no choice in forcing Rendell to resign because of AFL pressure, brand image, untenable, mud, blah blah blah, etc. I have a question:

Now that Rendell has been given the opportunity to explain his comments, what % of people (either in the media or in real life) would you say are still on the "he's a racist!" bandwagon?

10% maybe?

So why the **** couldn't Trigg have just let Rendell explain himself on Friday? The AFC would have come out looking united and strong in support of our man, Rendell would've cleared up the issue for most people (thus preventing any mud), and the only people to look bad would be Vlad and the AFL.

This is my main issue. I don't blame Trigg for asking Rendell to resign given that there wasn't an opportunity for Rendell to clear his name. You can't have a man working for your club who has racist comments attached to him.

But why on earth wasn't he given a chance to explain his comments and remove that stigma?! What damage could it possibly have done? Unless Rendell came out and said something even more racist, it couldn't have caused a problem.

I have no doubt Dimitriou is the main culprit here and made damn sure Trigg knew that he wanted Rendell gone, but I still would have liked to see Trigg stand up for his man, even if only to afford him the opportunity to explain himself before he was forced to resign.

5AA and MMM are going to be pretty damn interesting listening after this. Hopefully enough people call up and crack the shits about this.

You know, often when this forum gets on it's high horse I tend to assume it's simply a vocal minority of the general Crows public, but on this issue I have no doubt there will be widespread anger from footy supporters across the state. 5AA is going to be very interesting!

10% maybe?

So why the **** couldn't Trigg have just let Rendell explain himself on Friday? The AFC would have come out looking united and strong in support of our man, Rendell would've cleared up the issue for most people (thus preventing any mud), and the only ones to look bad would be Vlad and the AFL.
Trigg was too busy being decisive to make a rational decision.

Im interested in the viewpoint of the 'Trigg had no choice' peoples viewpoint.

How far does the 'just following orders' claim extend?

Putting aside Rendells comments for a minute, because his comments dont seem to be actually the issue of contention in this discussion.

Surely theres still a need to determine guilt before acting? Are you seriously saying that you're comfortable with our club ending the careers of its employees, without genuine cause?

If we're going to believe Demetriou's (I can't remember how to spell his damn name :eek:) comments that Trigg asked him to recant his comment and he didn't, then Trigg did check the legitimacy of the claim in some sense. Still, why wouldn't you give the guy a chance to explain himself publically and then act? Surely that would be the responsible thing to do?

I have been a crow member since I was a 14 yr old child. I lived down the road from west lakes and I walked to the first game against Hawthorn with my brother and fell in love with this team from Adelaide. I had never been to an AFL game before and it was not a game aligned to my cultural background. I save my pocket money every year to buy a membership a smy parents were not football followers and would not have contemplated buying us a ticket for this game they didn'appreciate.

On the topic of racism, as you have probably gathered from the above I was not born in Australia and have through my life been subject to many racial situations growing up in country Australia in dominant Anglo saxon areas and then on a smaller scale in the city from primarily kids who can be the cruelest. I have grown up and all this has done is made me more proud of my culture and who I am.

I must say though that racism however comes from hatred. I didnt care if anyone used my cultural background as a joke or as a throw away comment growing up if I knew that person had no hatred toward me or my culture. But I always knew the diffrence between someone who believed what they were saying and someone who said it with hatred.

I have never sensed that at all from Rendell. Racism is more than just a reference to culture or colour. It is a hatred. Rendell I can see from the bottom of my heart does not have this in his body.

Tonight for the first time I am ashamed to be a member of the Adelaide Football Club and Steven Trigg. He has unfortunately fallen to the corporate facade which I have felt Demitriou has bought to the game of football since becoming its number one man. This does not stand alone- he is constantly trying to leave his mark on the game by way of rule changes, and perceptions of the AFL system. He is actually turning alot of people off I know. The day the corporation became bigger than the sport was a sad day. At the end of the NAB CUP Demetriou strolled across AAMI stadium a lonely figure. Those in the crowd around me were all saying look at Andrew he is walking around on his own. I think this is unfortunately the way this man is going to leave the game(alone).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're going to believe Demetriou's (I can't remember how to spell his damn name :eek:) comments that Trigg asked him to recant his comment and he didn't, then Trigg did check the legitimacy of the claim in some sense. Still, why wouldn't you give the guy a chance to explain himself publically and then act? Surely that would be the responsible thing to do?

Didnt Rendell publically refute that claim?

Still, if people want to argue the sacking was justified, by all means. I havent seen that dicussion taking place is all.

All im seeing is alot of 'yeah, it was not justified, but we dont care because someone else told us to'.

Is anyone really surprised? Trigg has been screwing the club for years.

The brand didn’t matter too much when it was Trigg calling the supporters pathetic.

Steven Trigg IMO has outstayed his use by date at the club.

IMO It's been a horrible last 2-3 years with Trigg. We had the debacle with the elitist "shed members" therein closing after match fucntions off to ordinary members, calling the supporters pathetic when the wheels started to fall off Neil Craig's wagon, 2 consecutive years of financial losses, member losses and the erosion of the waiting list, ignorantly building a training centre at a redundant ground, the pathetic and heavy handed treatment of Vince and now the Rendell situation.

Trigg was fine when he was able to sit there apathetically in his own little ignorant bubble driving the club Sanders built in cruise control, now that the club has faced some significant issues and it's been time when we actually need a strong CEO to steer the club back on track that we have seen Trigg's worth as a CEO and it hasnt been pretty at all.

After watching and listening to Rendell telling the whole story, I have completely changed my stance on this.

Rendell is the victim of a Klu Klux Klan type assassination. He has been hung for being a racist and it is as clear as day that he is absolutely the opposite.

FFS the man was having a discussion with a friend and suggesting ways to improve the chances of aboriginals from remote locations succeeding at AFL level. His ill-fated comments were nothing more than an exaggerated example of what might happen if nothing is done to improve their chances of succeeding.

He has been treated in a disgusting manner by both the Adelaide Football club and that disgrace that heads up the AFL in Demetriou. They have destroyed a man's 35 year respected career in footy, but those that know him know who are the people who should be ashamed here.

I posted a training report on an internal scratch match just before the NAB cup when I had the good fortune of standing next to Rendell while watching it, and he told me that he was as proud as punch of his pick number 64 in Ellis-Yolmen - who has an Aboriginal father and a Papuan New Guinea mother. The exact opposite of being a racist, both with the selection and pride in him.

Demetriou should be removed from his position for being a liar. Before Rendell had been even asked by Trigg and Chapman about his comments, Demetriou DID make the statement that whoever made those statements should be looking for a new job.

As for Caro Wilson's efforts tonight to ignore what Matty was saying and trying to hang him, you should be so ashamed of yourself. You were trying to destroy the credibility of an honest broken man just to get a headline by ignoring facts. You are a disgrace to the industry and to yourself

Rendell deserved to be supported by his club, not sacked. If Trigg, Chapman and Demetiou had wanted to be PC Nazis and ignore facts, then a reprimand advising him to choose his words a bit better would have sufficed.

The only ones that come out of this disgraceful turn of events with any honour, respect or credibilty are Matty Rendell and Grant Thomas for vigourously and publicly supporting Rendell.

As for the assassins, I hope your consciences bother you as much as they should. If they don't then you are even lesser beings than I currently think that you are. :thumbsdown:

I believe there's a **** in there somewhere.

Didnt Rendell publically refute that claim?

Still, if people want to argue the sacking was justified, by all means. I havent seen that dicussion taking place is all.

All im seeing is alot of 'yeah, it was not justified, but we dont care because someone else told us to'.

I should clarify my position - I don't think Trigg "had no choice". He definitely had more than one choice. However, as soon as he made the decision not to allow Rendell to explain the comments, and therefore assured that the sound bite would be attributed to Rendell (and therefore the club) in the isolated context that it was presented to us, he then had no choice. At that point, it really was untenable to keep Rendell on board.

What I don't understand is, why not give him the opportunity to explain the comments? To perhaps remove the stigma of racism from his name (and by extension, the club) - exactly as he did tonight!!!

His resignation could have been avoided, and nobody could have questioned the "justice" of giving a man accused of being a racist the opportunity to explain his words. If the explanation is a good one, you keep him on and perhaps council him. If it's a poor one, you sack him. Surely that's the correct course of events?

To me it comes down to one question. Did Trigg simply fold because of a fear of what might happen if he is potentially seen to be supporting the comments? Or did Demetriou lean heavily enough on Trigg that "you'd better get this man out of here" that Trigg recognised there was no way this could end well?

At least one of Trigg and Demetriou have acted poorly in my opinion - assuming we can put any stock whatsoever in Rendell's words, which I believe we can. At this stage the only issue for me is figuring out which one, or both, have dirty hands over this issue.

As for Caro Wilson's efforts tonight to ignore what Matty was saying and trying to hang him, you should be so ashamed of yourself. You were trying to destroy the credibility of an honest broken man just to get a headline by ignoring facts. You are a disgrace to the industry and to yourself
I've an admission to make... I actually don't mind Caro :eek:

But tonight - oh dear. "You haven't really explained why you made the comment" Umm, what? What do you think the first 10 minutes of the interview were about? He explained exactly why he made the comment and what the context was.

And then she garbled the next question where she seemed confused about who she was quoting - Rendell, Demetreiou from OTC or what Thomas had said at the start of the show. Was cringeworthy.

I know it's laughable to think that we as AFC members can have any influence or say in things like this, but what can we do to make Trigg accountable for his handling (and complete **** up) or this situation?

He's damaged our brand more than anyone else in the entire history of the club.

I have been a crow member since I was a 14 yr old child. I lived down the road from west lakes and I walked to the first game against Hawthorn with my brother and fell in love with this team from Adelaide. I had never been to an AFL game before and it was not a game aligned to my cultural background. I save my pocket money every year to buy a membership a smy parents were not football followers and would not have contemplated buying us a ticket for this game they didn'appreciate.

On the topic of racism, as you have probably gathered from the above I was not born in Australia and have through my life been subject to many racial situations growing up in country Australia in dominant Anglo saxon areas and then on a smaller scale in the city from primarily kids who can be the cruelest. I have grown up and all this has done is made me more proud of my culture and who I am.

I must say though that racism however comes from hatred. I didnt care if anyone used my cultural background as a joke or as a throw away comment growing up if I knew that person had no hatred toward me or my culture. But I always knew the diffrence between someone who believed what they were saying and someone who said it with hatred.

I have never sensed that at all from Rendell. Racism is more than just a reference to culture or colour. It is a hatred. Rendell I can see from the bottom of my heart does not have this in his body.

Tonight for the first time I am ashamed to be a member of the Adelaide Football Club and Steven Trigg. He has unfortunately fallen to the corporate facade which I have felt Demitriou has bought to the game of football since becoming its number one man. This does not stand alone- he is constantly trying to leave his mark on the game by way of rule changes, and perceptions of the AFL system. He is actually turning alot of people off I know. The day the corporation became bigger than the sport was a sad day. At the end of the NAB CUP Demetriou strolled across AAMI stadium a lonely figure. Those in the crowd around me were all saying look at Andrew he is walking around on his own. I think this is unfortunately the way this man is going to leave the game(alone).

Top post. :thumbsu:

I know it's laughable to think that we as AFC members can have any influence or say in things like this, but what can we do to make Trigg accountable for his handling (and complete **** up) or this situation?

He's damaged our brand more than anyone else in the entire history of the club.
There was one pretty cool suggestion but the thread got deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back