Matt Renshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Good old Yorkshire DNA. Best thing about this Test apart from Ussie's innings. Saw us through that short spell on the first evening too before getting a good ball.
Think Handscomb's innings, and his brilliant catch of the candyman was just as good.

How's the hack second (when sorted by lowest SR) on that list, scratching around and the end of his career when obviously past it!
I always knew DGB was an overrated blocker.

R...M...B....4 6 SR
WM Lawry 57 306 239 3 0 23.84 3 v England Melbourne 29 Dec 1962

FMD Bill, that would have been a painful innings to watch!

I always knew DGB was an overrated blocker.

R...M...B....4 6 SR
WM Lawry 57 306 239 3 0 23.84 3 v England Melbourne 29 Dec 1962

FMD Bill, that would have been a painful innings to watch!
Would have loved to have Bill on commentary last night. Would have put the others in their place!

Or you know, he could have thrown away his innings and caused a collapse.

WOOAH DAVEY WARNER CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT, THATS MASSIVE.
He could have, so good on him for not doing that, but we also could, you know, go easy on the superlatives for what was really a not overly confident looking innings, with not that much pressure on, in a dead rubber.

Would have loved to have Bill on commentary last night. Would have put the others in their place!

Hopefully he's on during the boxing day test, seems to be the way they do it now.

Bill
adore.gif

We were facing our first clean sweep at home and a 6th test loss in a row and this is a 20 year old with only a dozen first class game under his belt facing some of the best bowing we have seen here in a long time so for me thats plenty of pressure.

If renshaw had come out and chased one like dopey dave in hobart people would be saying dump him for the gabba and he likely would have been dumped, he batted like he was fighting to keep his test spot and with good reason.

Last edited:
He made a promising start. Hopefully Renshaw gets the 3 tests against Pakistan and we should have a better idea of where he needs to work on things.

Great composure under pressure and comfortable enough in his game to tell Warner to get stufffed with his stupid single. There is potential there for a good opening combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a very valuable contributor, cool under pressure given his age and experience. He came in at a very difficult time in the first innings and was so important he didn't lose his wicket early in the 2nd innings. A player that actually puts a price on his wicket, boy were we looking for one of those types. As he settles into his role he will learn how to rotate the strike more so the likes of Warner and Smith aren't stuck up the other end for long periods but right now he has to value his wicket and hold up his end by batting for long periods, which he did very successfully.

He could have, so good on him for not doing that, but we also could, you know, go easy on the superlatives for what was really a not overly confident looking innings, with not that much pressure on, in a dead rubber.
Yep, I'll agree with that.

But him surviving those overs after the late declaration on the first day was very impressive.

Even if he continues to bat slow, it doesn't really matter. As long as he learns to rotate the strike more, he can take as long as he likes.

We have Warner, the fastest scoring opening batsmen in the world, and Smith, an aggressive stroke player who is arguably the best batsman in the world full stop. Usman at 3, a solid and traditional stroke playing batsman.

He's the perfect partner for these guys. We don't need him scoring runs when the other bloke at the end is ticking over at anything from .75 to a run a ball plus.

Renshaw, Warner, Khawaja and Smith. That's a damn solid top order.

Showed enough for mine and seems to have great openers temperament as well as being a good slipper.
er no.. he was not on my radar and neither has he done enough... too much temper... just not quite working his place and neither can he say he would
be satisfied with it either.

dave warner visits this category as well. just a bit too much anger and lack of stationary working.. he and them both work too hard at being toothless
tigers.

You know, it's possible to have a balanced opinion where you can admire his innings yesterday and the grit and determination Renshaw showed whilst also understanding he'll need to start showing he has significantly more scoring power to have a long career. Heck, I'm sure Renshaw knows that better than anyone.

Not everything has to be a hot take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back