Coach Matthew Knights - worth giving another go

Remove this Banner Ad

why do you think he has stayed at the cats? he likes the low profile, the lack of politics, and the focus on just getting kids to play footy

he knows how to lose and accept defeat, he got plenty of that at richmond. implying otherwise is bulls**t

Wasn't he the galah that snitched on Libba at the tribunal all those years ago (him and Wayne Campbell)

Players simply cannot respect anyone who violates the unwritten code of footballers (ie snitching at the tribunal)

Wasn't he the galah that snitched on Libba at the tribunal all those years ago (him and Wayne Campbell)

Players simply cannot respect anyone who violates the unwritten code of footballers (ie snitching at the tribunal)

campbell snitched, not knights

fwiw this isnt an "essendon suck lol" thing. Bartlett ditched our club for decades over how he was punted, and the list of coaches exited badly isnt a short one by any means. can say the bloke even post sacking still had genuine love for the players at efc (and thats with rfc peeps egging him on to bag them out)

campbell snitched, not knights

fwiw this isnt an "essendon suck lol" thing. Bartlett ditched our club for decades over how he was punted, and the list of coaches exited badly isnt a short one by any means. can say the bloke even post sacking still had genuine love for the players at efc (and thats with rfc peeps egging him on to bag them out)

Look I hate Essendon as much as anyone, but I have to agree with them that Knights was a poor coach at AFL level, which isn't anything to be ashamed off, Dim Watson, one of their all time greats, was without doubt , the worst coach of the AFL from around 98 until Mark Neeld :)

Look I hate Essendon as much as anyone, but I have to agree with them that Knights was a poor coach at AFL level, which isn't anything to be ashamed off, Dim Watson, one of their all time greats, was without doubt , the worst coach of the AFL from around 98 until Mark Neeld :)

im not arguing he's a good coach - where have i said that?

all ive said is i know for a fact he has zero inclination to revisit club politics after his time at essendon, which is why he's happy at geelong (and i know he has been approached since then to interview)

im not arguing he's a good coach - where have i said that?

all ive said is i know for a fact he has zero inclination to revisit club politics after his time at essendon, which is why he's happy at geelong (and i know he has been approached since then to interview)

Fair call. I do agree that Knights was shafted/treated shabbily by the EFC Board, and probably undermined by certain influential coterie figures and past players from the moment he was appointed coach.

Fair call. I do agree that Knights was shafted/treated shabbily by the EFC Board, and probably undermined by certain influential coterie figures and past players from the moment he was appointed coach.

thats all it is, and i reckon his time seeing it under KB didnt help matters tbh

why do you think he has stayed at the cats? he likes the low profile, the lack of politics, and the focus on just getting kids to play footy

he knows how to lose and accept defeat, he got plenty of that at richmond. implying otherwise is bulls**t

Has he actually come out and said that?

Not as a game day coach he isn't (and I hate praising Hird, but he was a good tactical and motivational coach, it's a shame his own ego and hubris ruined a potentially successful coaching career)

Knights was rubbish as Essendon coach and doesn't deserve another crack at senior AFL level.
Didn't Knights get a ordinary essendon team to the finals and won a vfl flag. I doubt Hird could do that legally..

On HUAWEI KII-L22 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dog shots like Libba liked to dish out are a lower act than what Wayne Campbell did

Isn't it correct that Knights just beat out Dimma Hardwick to the Bombers gig ?

Another sliding doors moment (for both The Bombers and Tigers)

If memory serves me correctly Knights got the job because he told the board that there were a lot of gun kids in the 2nds and he could get them into finals. Dimma told them that the team was bereft of talent and they would have to bottom out and start again. The board basically said "we are Essendon and we don't bottom out" so made Knights the coach.

Knights gave the kids the opportunity and a lot of those are now best 22. Not saying he was a great coach but he got a lot of games into a lot of kids and got rid of a few stalwarts of Sheedy who were not going to be there when Essendon went up the ladder.

Dimma said the same to Richmond but with a new board he was backed to the hilt. We were trash for a few years but now have had a sustained finals run due to the hard work of Dimma and his backing from the board.

The problem wasn't Knights, the problem was the board. They should have sacked Sheedy about 3 years before he eventually left but they knew better. Even after all the crap with the ASADA stuff they are still backing every Essendon person involved to the hilt and laying the blame on outsiders coming into the system.

We haven't had our club involved in a supplements scandal.

Also, you think Matthew Knights sucks as a coach, but at least he didn't lead the team into the biggest scandal in AFL history, which almost destroyed the club. No, it was the Essendon old boys club who almost destroyed the club they once played for.

Knights might not have been much chop, but at least he had integrity.

Also, you think Matthew Knights sucks as a coach, but at least he didn't lead the team into the biggest scandal in AFL history, which almost destroyed the club. No, it was the Essendon old boys club who almost destroyed the club they once played for.

Geelong admits to sourcing drug from Stephen Dank during 2009 premiership year

Geelong has admitted to sourcing a legal substance from a company connected to Stephen Dank to inject into injured players during the 2009 season, the year the club won the second premiership of its dynasty.

Following reports that the AFL anti-doping tribunal had found that former Cats employee Dean Robinson used the services of Dank — the controversial sports scientist at the centre of the Essendon drugs scandal – while at the Cats, the club released a statement on Monday night clarifying the connection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights was a s**t coach.

We’re all on the same page, let’s move on.

Geelong admits to sourcing drug from Stephen Dank during 2009 premiership year

Geelong has admitted to sourcing a legal substance from a company connected to Stephen Dank to inject into injured players during the 2009 season, the year the club won the second premiership of its dynasty.

Following reports that the AFL anti-doping tribunal had found that former Cats employee Dean Robinson used the services of Dank — the controversial sports scientist at the centre of the Essendon drugs scandal – while at the Cats, the club released a statement on Monday night clarifying the connection.

So how come ASADA and WADA have charged us with anything, newspapers aren't writing reports on us possibly cheating, or we haven't had anything stripped from us?

I think Roos has little chance possibly for the astute. If Lyon is right about Melbourne being overrated from last year as suggested On the Couch on monday, especially midfield , people can blame Goodwin, but it basically means the Roos rebuild of Demons was a clear failure as it was arguably flawed with inherent short term bias!!
Hmmmm, not really.

If memory serves me correctly Knights got the job because he told the board that there were a lot of gun kids in the 2nds and he could get them into finals. Dimma told them that the team was bereft of talent and they would have to bottom out and start again. The board basically said "we are Essendon and we don't bottom out" so made Knights the coach.

Knights gave the kids the opportunity and a lot of those are now best 22. Not saying he was a great coach but he got a lot of games into a lot of kids and got rid of a few stalwarts of Sheedy who were not going to be there when Essendon went up the ladder.

Dimma said the same to Richmond but with a new board he was backed to the hilt. We were trash for a few years but now have had a sustained finals run due to the hard work of Dimma and his backing from the board.

The problem wasn't Knights, the problem was the board. They should have sacked Sheedy about 3 years before he eventually left but they knew better. Even after all the crap with the ASADA stuff they are still backing every Essendon person involved to the hilt and laying the blame on outsiders coming into the system.

Wasn't Hardwick an assistant at Hawthorn at the time, and as such had his presentation to Essendon all on his Hawthorn laptop? When he went to present Hawthorn said hang on a minute you're not taking our laptop with all that IP into the Essendon Football Club, and he subsequently bombed in his presentation? Or is that just urban myth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back