Matthew Lloyd on Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

In all honestly, I can't remember the hatchet job on Fitzroy. I guess I am thinking more about the position he occupies now. He brings something unique and his thoughtful, measured approach means that his interviews are generally great viewing. His Jacko interview was compelling viewing and most of the others over the years have been quite absorbing.
Think Caro on North style.

Anyhow, that's not really the topic here and yes, he does these interviews very well. It's not exactly hard hitting or especially challenging, other than when you interview a nutter like Jackson I guess, but it does produce compelling stuff.

I struggle to remember the Fitzroy stuff apart from the fact that they were a basket-case and had been for years but coincidently, I heard Doug Barwick being interviewed this week. He said that at one point the players had wanted the club moved to Brisbane and it was the supporters who stopped it. In the end the club just wasn't viable financially and could not continue. I was too young to remember Mike's stance on the issue but am assuming that he was parroting the AFL based on Doss' comments.

Great interview with Lloydy, learnt a few things I didnt know. The fact that he was able to - over the course of a single preseason - go from an average set shot to one of the best set shots the game has seen is amazing.

Post playing career Lloyd went out of his way to be seen to be neutral (potting Essendon occasionally) - I think he's now at the point where he can be more balanced and call it as he sees without over compensating to be seen to be neutral.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Lloyd first starting doing media as a career, he was the most biased commentator I've ever seen. As an Essendon supporter, it was fantastic to watch, but I'm guessing he's be told to tone it down a bit.

In 2012, late in the season he was giving votes on the Sunday morning footy show. He gave Jobe the top votes for the game, even though he was nowhere near the best on ground. The other panelists couldn't belive it, and he ended up winning because of those votes. Great stuff.

Did anyone else chub up a bit about the story regarding bellcho (and others) being ready to jump in against the hawks players at the bar if there was any trouble?
Respect haha

I did until Imagined tbell running out of steam halfway to the fight , putting an arm up toward the bar and hobbling away

Did anyone else chub up a bit about the story regarding bellcho (and others) being ready to jump in against the hawks players at the bar if there was any trouble?
Respect haha
sorry for the intrusion but really enjoyed this part. shows that despite the rivalry the players apart from brown who's a bit of a peanut share a lot of respect for each other. fwiw i thought it was a really good open mike, think the afl society forgets how good lloyd was.

I struggle to remember the Fitzroy stuff apart from the fact that they were a basket-case and had been for years but coincidently, I heard Doug Barwick being interviewed this week. He said that at one point the players had wanted the club moved to Brisbane and it was the supporters who stopped it. In the end the club just wasn't viable financially and could not continue. I was too young to remember Mike's stance on the issue but am assuming that he was parroting the AFL based on Doss' comments.

Not really the place for it but the VFL did a hatchet job on Fitzroy. Yes they where down and out and owed money but so where at least 8 other clubs at various stages in that period. In the end they where rolled for owing just under $1,000,000. The AFL rejected their merger with North that the board and supporters voted for so they could fix their Brisbane issue.
The 1986 Brisbane move was voted yes by the players but the board voted no as their was no long term financial support, it was going to be the same as the Swans with players based in Melbourne and few in Brisbane. It was a Dogs breakfast.
In the end Fitzroy where just the smallest club so they where the easiest to kill off although it took at least 10 years longer to do it than they wanted. They pretty much cut off support and waited for them to die and when they would not they die they found a way to pressure the Naru government to foreclose on the clubs loan.
If they operated the same was in recent times North would have been playing on the Gold Coast and probably another Victorian side in Western Sydney.

Not really the place for it but the VFL did a hatchet job on Fitzroy. Yes they where down and out and owed money but so where at least 8 other clubs at various stages in that period. In the end they where rolled for owing just under $1,000,000. The AFL rejected their merger with North that the board and supporters voted for so they could fix their Brisbane issue.
The 1986 Brisbane move was voted yes by the players but the board voted no as their was no long term financial support, it was going to be the same as the Swans with players based in Melbourne and few in Brisbane. It was a Dogs breakfast.
In the end Fitzroy where just the smallest club so they where the easiest to kill off although it took at least 10 years longer to do it than they wanted. They pretty much cut off support and waited for them to die and when they would not they die they found a way to pressure the Naru government to foreclose on the clubs loan.
If they operated the same was in recent times North would have been playing on the Gold Coast and probably another Victorian side in Western Sydney.
Thanks Ant. Appreciate you taking the time to post that.

Many people don't realise that Lloyd missed a few games in 2001, and kicked 105 in 21 games... a better strike rate than Franklin's 113 in 25 games in 2008. He was a bloody good player.

His handling of club champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc telling them that they will be playing in the VFL all year pissed me off was so happy when the club sacked Knights.
There's a section of the world/community who think making a tough decision is a virtue all by itself regardless of if the decision is right or wrong. Some people just think if it's a tough decision it must be the right thing. Most of them end up in the LNP, some of them coach teams, all of them think they're right and have a tough time admitting they might be wrong.

I thought Knights was one of those people, made a decision and would always stick to it, regardless of the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back