Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly that's part of it. But we also needed them to WANT to stay. Given the plethora of departures after THAT game and camp, he definitely turned the locker room psyche from being a place they couldn't get out of quick enough to one of a place they wanted to be a part of and that the players were playing for each other. It's a markedly different place from 2019.
But really, any coach worth a damn would have done the same. Its not as if Nicks is the culture guru.

Opposition has scored less than 100 points in every single game this season.

I bet you anything that was one of the club’s “KPIs” for success at the beginning of the year.

I just want to elaborate on this because even in the solitary win, the opposition scored less than 100.

And it’s clear that was the club’s template for success this year. Focus on the defensive aspects, at the expense of actually kicking a winning score.

It has backfired badly, because when both teams remain under 100, the Crows are the team that loses.

It mentioned in the paper this morning that our game had 89 stoppages, the most of any game over the round.

Was a boring game, save for a close finish.

Dull, defence-first, congested, lock-down football.
Thankfully I was at a wedding and about 7 of us Crows fans watched the last 5mins huddled around my phone.

Up and about not thinking the comeback was on, knowing anything about the game apart from the score worm, I yell out to the boys "Fireball shots if we win!".

That we lost was one positive to come out of the game I guess.

It mentioned in the paper this morning that our game had 89 stoppages, the most of any game over the round.

Was a boring game, save for a close finish.

Dull, defence-first, congested, lock-down football.
What quite clear with the continued selection of a Murphy/McHenry is no matter how badly either are playing, it’s all about someone who can help with style of play.

He’s just a ******* idiot.

What quite clear with the continued selection of a Murphy/McHenry is no matter how badly either are playing, it’s all about someone who can help with style of play.

He’s just a ******* idiot.

Nicks just keep stubbornly and arrogantly picking 'yes men' players that will commit to his fraud of a 'gameplan'. (Murphy, Mchenry etc)

He is absolutely determined to NOT pick debutant as long as possible as doesn't want to see any youthful exuberant play that is at odds with the fabled 'gameplan'.

In his warped view, these young players simply haven't had enough time or experience with the 'gameplan' and therefore dont warrant selection unless absolutely necessary (Injuries etc).

I fear for Rankine as even his exciting play will soon get stymied and coached out of him.

Really feels like the final years of Craig....

Another train wreck of a press conference. I had to turn it off halfway through.

Lowlights include:
  • Blah blah blah, players are to blame
  • Mentality not right
  • Playing Smith may have been a mistake but seems keen to make the same mistake this week
  • Going back to basics. Luckily he is a basic coach so this might help.
  • He won't play Dowling because he has things to work on. As long as you are in the top 25 from preseason, you are perfect in his eyes, with nothing to work on.
  • Some crap about values.

Sack this pretender, what a fraud he has become in a matter of months.

Did we just pat each other on the backs all pre-season about how we beat the bottom 4 twice over and were a kick away from finals?

It is now a case of minimising the damage Nicks is causing and sweeping the broom through this amateur football department (again).

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another train wreck of a press conference. I had to turn it off halfway through.

Lowlights include:
  • Blah blah blah, players are to blame
  • Mentality not right
  • Playing Smith may have been a mistake but seems keen to make the same mistake this week
  • Going back to basics. Luckily he is a basic coach so this might help.
  • He won't play Dowling because he has things to work on. As long as you are in the top 25 from preseason, you are perfect in his eyes, with nothing to work on.
  • Some crap about values.

Sack this pretender, what a fraud he has become in a matter of months.

Did we just pat each other on the backs all pre-season about how we beat the bottom 4 twice over and were a kick away from finals?

It is now a case of minimising the damage Nicks is causing and sweeping the broom through this amateur football department (again).

Going back to basics, before the Carlton game he said he was simplifying the game plan. So he complicated it again for the Essendon game or he just wants to make it even more basic?

Dowling has stuff to work on? Righto, what about the s**t players in the firsts?

I so hope we lose this game. The players have the power to do it. I know if I was being blamed when it’s s**t coaching with no accountability I wouldn’t want to play for the ********.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going back to basics, before the Carlton game he said he was simplifying the game plan. So he complicated it again for the Essendon game or he just wants to make it even more basic?

Dowling has stuff to work on? Righto, what about the s**t players in the firsts?

I so hope we lose this game. The players have the power to do it. I know if I was being blamed when it’s s*t coaching with no accountability I wouldn’t want to play for the *******.
What makes me laugh is him saying, 'the players didn't execute', then we continue to select the same old players who we know struggle to execute.

Umm, pick new players. Weed out the trash There is half of squad worth of it and an entire football department.

What makes me laugh is him saying, 'the players didn't execute', then we continue to select the same old players who we know struggle to execute.

Umm, pick new players. Weed out the trash There is half of squad worth of it and an entire football department.

Really wish a journalist would hit him on this.
Why if it’s the players fault do you continuously back the same ones in.

Wow watching it now:

“Dowling knows he’s got things to work on”
“But if I asked Billy if he wants to play he’d jump at it”
“We have players in the SANFL with stuff to work on”
“So for those calling for players to play I hope they are watching the SANFL and not just reacting to what’s happening in the AFL”

Right so only players in the SANFL have stuff to work on. Ignore the s**t out of form players in the AFL, watch for the deficiencies in our SANFL players.

But really, any coach worth a damn would have done the same. Its not as if Nicks is the culture guru.
True. It wouldn't take a genius to know that when walking into a troubled environment, it may just pay dividends to begin by listening to what pressing personal issues currently exist and work your way from there. You can gain immediate points with individuals who have felt they have not been listened to or cared for sufficiently. Pretty basic stuff.

However it does still leave Nicks holding an empty sack when it comes to the tactical side of coaching. Therein lies a problem.

I so hope we lose this game. The players have the power to do it. I know if I was being blamed when it’s s*t coaching with no accountability I wouldn’t want to play for the *******.

I think you will see the disconnect this week.

Wow watching it now:

“So for those calling for players to play I hope they are watching the SANFL and not just reacting to what’s happening in the AFL”

Right so only players in the SANFL have stuff to work on. Ignore the s**t out of form players in the AFL, watch for the deficiencies in our SANFL players.

That's right Nicks, have a go at the fans. See how that goes for you

Anyone can watch SANFL matches Matthew. And they do. And they see players who deserve a run at AFL level

He made it very, very clear Murphy is a straight back into the 22 player (as if we didn't already know).

He basically said the concern is he's been out 3-4 weeks, it's right on the border of does he need match fitness in the SANFL?

So it's either SANFL for 1 week and back to AFL the next week or straight back to AFL.

He made it very, very clear Murphy is a straight back into the 22 player (as if we didn't already know).

He basically said the concern is he's been out 3-4 weeks, it's right on the border of does he need match fitness in the SANFL?

So it's either SANFL for 1 week and back to AFL the next week or straight back to AFL.
Murphy in Cleanhands out

Wow watching it now:

What a condescending prick.

Back